[ROM][Full Android Marshmallow for Shield TV][v.1.5]

Full Android Experience with NO Limits on Shield TV and Nexus Player
zulu99
Site Admin

Re: [ROM][Full Android Marshmallow for Shield TV][v.1.4]

Post by zulu99 »

n2outlaw wrote:
zulu99 wrote:16) Flash the satv_boot_from_usb_1.1.img as recovery with the command: fastboot flash recovery satv_boot_from_usb_1.1.img
Hi zulu

Do you think you or another Dev could make a Dual Boot using a MiceoSD card?

USB: satv_boot_from_usb_1.1.img
MicroSD: satv_boot_from_microsd_v1.0.img (this would be awesome)
I think is not useful because sdcard usually are slower and because you lose the ability to expand internal storage to external sdcard. With usb you don't lose nothing and an hd is faster.

But is simple modify my boot image and create another for sd card.
Developer of DroidMote Server and DroidMote Client. Read the Quick Start Guides and then I'll be happy to help.
Donate with Paypal or Donate with Crypto
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

jedikoenig wrote:
zulu99 wrote:[

Hi Zulu,

>>> I'm having trouble with step 5. I downloaded simg2img.exe, ext2explore.exe, and cygwin1.dll. The readme and convert.bat are missing the download link?!?

When I open simg2img.exe a command prompt opens for a second and disappears. I dont know how to convert system.img and vendor.img to ext4. I can't find instructions on how to do this on the internet either. Can you please help?!?

>>> Second question. I like the option for dual boot. My girlfriend will use stock android because it's easy for her. For me, I wanted to be super user. My concern is the stock android is currently on Class 10 UHS3 SD Card (adaptive storage) because 16GB was not enough room (SD card is 64GB). For Dual boot I have an external 500GB external USB 3.0 drive. Is it ok to dual boot stock Android TV on microsd and Full Android on 500GB external drive?

Thank you for all of your help. I will be purchasing Droid Mote too once I get the Shield rooted and running full android.
I see the readme and convert.bat
https://github.com/KinglyWayne/simg2img_win?files=1

About sdcard, you can, but when you are inside full Android from usb hd, don't touch or set the sdcard.

convert.bat convert only the system.img, to convert also vendor edit the convert.bat or create another and change system.img with vendor.img
Developer of DroidMote Server and DroidMote Client. Read the Quick Start Guides and then I'll be happy to help.
n2outlaw

Post by n2outlaw »

zulu99 wrote:
n2outlaw wrote:
zulu99 wrote:16) Flash the satv_boot_from_usb_1.1.img as recovery with the command: fastboot flash recovery satv_boot_from_usb_1.1.img
Hi zulu

Do you think you or another Dev could make a Dual Boot using a MiceoSD card?

USB: satv_boot_from_usb_1.1.img
MicroSD: satv_boot_from_microsd_v1.0.img (this would be awesome)
I think is not useful because sdcard usually are slower and because you lose the ability to expand internal storage to external sdcard. With usb you don't lose nothing and an hd is faster.

But is simple modify my boot image and create another for sd card.
Thanks for your quick reply.

I was going to buy the fastest SD Card I could find and test the speed on Stock FW using the dual boot. Right now, I have my webcam/mic dedicated to one USB Port. It won't work through a HUB. The second USB port has a Powered HUB with 5 things running to it. By me having a 500GB unit. I don't need to expand the internal storage and would like to test the SD Card slot out. I wouldn't be using Stock FW for everyday usage because (thanks to you) Full Android OS is so much better. It'll be just for ripping system APK off and some recordings and thatt'll be great for not having to use two system or discounting USB things to have a open slot.

If it's possible. Can you send me the modified version of this boot .img to boot from SD Card? I wouldn't know where to begin to mod it myself. Of course I'll report back my findings.
jedikoenig

Post by jedikoenig »

>>> I'm having trouble with step 5. I downloaded simg2img.exe, ext2explore.exe, and cygwin1.dll. The readme and convert.bat are missing the download link?!?

When I open simg2img.exe a command prompt opens for a second and disappears. I dont know how to convert system.img and vendor.img to ext4. I can't find instructions on how to do this on the internet either. Can you please help?!?

^^ SOLVED...I noticed the raw txt and made the batch file myself using simg2img.exe system.img system.ext4.img and the same for vendor.img.

>>> Second question [REVISED]. I like the option for dual boot. My girlfriend will use stock android firmware it's easy for her. For me, I want to be super user. My concern is the stock android is currently on Class 10 UHS3 SD Card (adoptive storage) because 16GB was not enough storage space (SD card is 64GB). In a different tutorial from someone else I watched them root the stock firmware. In this scenario he said you can not be using Marshmallow's adoptive storage. For Dual boot I have an external 500GB external USB 3.0 drive.

My question is: Is it OK to perform root/flash to dual boot stock Android TV on microsd (while utilizing adoptive storage) and Full Android on 500GB external drive?

Any chance you can make a video for the following steps:

10) Reboot Shield TV to Fastboot mode
11) Flash the satv_boot_from_usb_1.1.img as recovery with the command: fastboot flash recovery satv_boot_from_usb_1.1.img
12) Switch from PC screen to Shield TV screen and with the Shield TV power button long press on Boot Recovery Kernel
13) Shield TV will stuck on Nvidia Logo
14) After short time, if you don't see the Android boot logo, remove the power cable
15) Reboot Shield TV to Fastboot mode
16) Flash the satv_boot_from_usb_1.1.img as recovery with the command: fastboot flash recovery satv_boot_from_usb_1.1.img
17) Switch from PC screen to Shield TV screen and with the Shield TV power button long press on Boot Recovery Kernel
18) Now the Shield TV will boot well from USB and the disk will be initialized in the right way

Thank you, your help is much appreciated. I really look forward to stock android on shield tv!
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

jedikoenig wrote:>>> I'm having trouble with step 5. I downloaded simg2img.exe, ext2explore.exe, and cygwin1.dll. The readme and convert.bat are missing the download link?!?

^^ SOLVED...I noticed the raw txt and made the batch file myself using simg2img.exe system.img system.ext4.img and the same for vendor.img.

>>> Second question [REVISED]. I like the option for dual boot. My girlfriend will use stock android firmware it's easy for her. For me, I want to be super user. My concern is the stock android is currently on Class 10 UHS3 SD Card (adoptive storage) because 16GB was not enough storage space (SD card is 64GB). In a different tutorial from someone else I watched them root the stock firmware. In this scenario he said you can not be using Marshmallow's adoptive storage. For Dual boot I have an external 500GB external USB 3.0 drive.

My question is: Is it OK to perform root/flash to dual boot stock Android TV on microsd (while utilizing adoptive storage) and Full Android on 500GB external drive?

Any chance you can make a video for the following steps:

11) Flash the satv_boot_from_usb_1.1.img as recovery with the command: fastboot flash recovery satv_boot_from_usb_1.1.img
12) Switch from PC screen to Shield TV screen and with the Shield TV power button long press on Boot Recovery Kernel
14) After short time, if you don't see the Android boot logo, remove the power cable
16) Flash the satv_boot_from_usb_1.1.img as recovery with the command: fastboot flash recovery satv_boot_from_usb_1.1.img
17) Switch from PC screen to Shield TV screen and with the Shield TV power button long press on Boot Recovery Kernel
18) Now the Shield TV will boot well from USB and the disk will be initialized in the right way

Thank you, your help is much appreciated. I really look forward to stock android on shield tv!
You can use stock firmware on internal storage and expanded storage on external sd card.
At same time you can have full Android on usb. But logically, when you run full Android you can't use the external sdcard if you use it as expended storage for the stock firmware.

Instead if your external storage is mounted as portable device, you can use it on boths firmwares

No i can't do a video of this because is a manually operation, not a screen recording operation like others my videos.
Others can do better work on this.

But if you follow the instructions, must work. You can also try more than one time.

To enter fastboot manually you can watch this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AzHF-uNiY8
androidtvuser

Post by androidtvuser »

Hi Zulu,
I am on 1.2 Full full android version, have not been following your thread for a while. I have been having few bugs in 1.2 (play store and chromeCast crashing etc) and would like to upgrade to 1.4.
Could you put me in right direction as how to do it? Do I need to start from scratch (go back to stock android TV version) and install 1.4 from there? or can I miss few first steps like rooting etc?

what is the best way to back up apps etc from 1.2 to restore them to 1.4?

Do apologize in advance if this has been answered before but I have tried to look in this thread:)

Thanks in advance.
tikal

Post by tikal »

androidtvuser wrote:Hi Zulu,
I am on 1.2 Full full android version, have not been following your thread for a while. I have been having few bugs in 1.2 (play store and chromeCast crashing etc) and would like to upgrade to 1.4.
Could you put me in right direction as how to do it? Do I need to start from scratch (go back to stock android TV version) and install 1.4 from there? or can I miss few first steps like rooting etc?

Do apologize in advance if this has been answered before but I have tried to look in this thread:)

Thanks in advance.
I updated from 1.2 to 1.4 myself
And I had to redo everything.
Install latest nvidia image from nvidia site
Then clean install Zulu image on top of it.
Then install again twrp for rooting.
I hope this will help.
n2outlaw

Post by n2outlaw »

tikal wrote:

Thanks in advance.
I hope this will help.

For Google Play Store, you'll most likely have the same problem. You'll have to install the lastest Opengapps from http://Opengapps.org

Settings:
Arm64 - 6.0 - Nano
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

n2outlaw wrote:
tikal wrote:

Thanks in advance.
I hope this will help.

For Google Play Store, you'll most likely have the same problem. You'll have to install the lastest Opengapps from http://Opengapps.org

Settings:
Arm64 - 6.0 - Nano

You need only to install my firmware and at first setup update google play store app.

many users not know how to update google play, since at first start it automatically update to the last TV version.

But is very simple.

At first setup, go in Settings -> apps -> Google Play and uninstall updates. ( top right corner )

From Google Play old version, download Chrome Browser and with Chrome download the last normal Google Play version from apkmirror.com

Update Google Play to have everything working.

I tested 2 days ago, because for test i reinstalled the firmware.

P.S.
When the normal Google Play version number is higher than TV version you can update without problems. In very rare case that Google Play TV version have higher version number, you can edit the build.prop and swap the foster_e word in full_foster_e word, but i never edited the build.prop, the update was always sufficient.
kris2222

Post by kris2222 »

zulu99 wrote:Boot Android TV or Full Android from an external USB DISK AKA Dual Boot Full Android and Android TV

Step by step instructions:

1) Format an USB HD or USB 3 Flash Drive as primary Ext4 partition with Linux. You can use Gparted tool.
2) Mount the USB drive with Paragon extFS: https://www.paragon-software.com/home/extfs-windows/
3) Download stock recovery firmware from Nvidia: https://developer.nvidia.com/shield-open-source or Full Android: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1580#p3030
4) Extract system.img and vendor.img from stock recovery firmware or from full Android archive
5) Convert system.img and vendor.img to ext4 using simg2img.exe tool: https://github.com/KinglyWayne/simg2img_win
6) Download su.img from here: https://goo.gl/Jo8mus
7) Copy system.img, vendor.img and su.img to mounted usb drive
8) Attach USB drive to Nvidia Shield TV
9) Download the boot / recovery image satv_boot_from_usb_1.1.img from here: https://goo.gl/vGosks
Hi Zulu!

I successfully managed to install twrp, full Android and root it (Shield TV 16GB), thanks a million for that!

Now I'm trying to install dual boot, tried about ten times, with images converted by me as well as ready images provided by you. I follow these steps 100% precisely. No matter what I do, it's always the same - I get stuck after point 17 - stuck with Nvidia logo after flashing satv_boot_from_usb_1.1.img for the second time. Android on TV just won't boot! Could it be the pendrive I'm using? This one: - https://www.sandisk.com/home/usb-flash/ultra-fit-usb, 16 GB version. Any other ideas?

Thanks a lot in advance!