[ROM][Full Android Nougat for Shield TV][v.1.5]

Full Android Experience with NO Limits on Shield TV and Nexus Player
spawn2k

Re: [ROM][Full Android Nougat for Shield TV][v.1.5]

Post by spawn2k »

I'm afraid I got mixed up with the instructions and now I'm in a trouble.
I have 2017 16G model and when I turned it on for first time it downloaded an upgrade.
Before starting the process on settings > information I could see that the system version was 7.0.
I guess my mistake has to do with this warning in the process instructions:
*** You MUST start the procedure with the stock firmware Nougat 6.X ALREADY installed. To avoid issues please CLEAN INSTALL this firmware
So ... the case is I did it anyway, I unlocked the bootloader (at least as far as I know) and I got the following errors:

>fastboot flash system system.img
target reported max download size of 67108864 bytes
erasing 'system'...
OKAY [ 1.203s]
sending sparse 'system' (61993 KB)...
FAILED (data transfer failure (Unknown error))
finished. total time: 8.135s

D:\descargas\NVIDIA_SHIELD_TV\pack\ADB>fastboot flash vendor vendor.img
sending sparse 'vendor' (65532 KB)...
finished. total time: 5.114s

After this, when I turn model 2017 16G on the screen is black.
I still have access to fastboot mode so I'm not sure if this is already a lost case.
I was trying to download at least the stock rom using this link:
https://developer.nvidia.com/gameworksd ... nal,shield
But the last version there seems to be 6.3.0

I tried:
fastboot flash system system.img
But after 30 minutes of no response I hit control^C
Then I tried
fastboot flash vendor vendor.img
With no response either and I hit control^C again

The problem is still there, I have access to fastboot mode but the screen is black when I turn it on.
I don't see where I can download the stock recovery rom 7.0 and I don't know if that would fix my problem.

All kind of help is appreciate, sorry so much.
Valvvk

Post by Valvvk »

Please,please all fine peoples here-HELP!!!!!
I was flashed wrong files on my Shield 2015 16 Gb Model -i was flashed all for FW 6.3 but Pro Model (it was my mistake in download wrong package,shit).
Now my shield is tot and if i try to go to fastboot mode by Hardware method it don't boot to fastboot mode as well.
How can i recover bad flash,or go to fastboot mode to flash right image???
Any help is very-very appreciated, i need my shield today urgently!
Thanks all in advance!!!
hemin

Post by hemin »

Hello, is there a way to put the 2017 16gb model in sleep mode? I'm unable to find any option...
A shortcut will be a good option for hal launcher
Mogster

Post by Mogster »

If you flashed the bootloader, then your Shield is toast. (The bootloader is the "fastboot flash staging blob" part of the batch file.) Without a working bootloader, there's nothing you can do except contact Nvidia for an RMA. Sorry.
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

hemin wrote:Hello, is there a way to put the 2017 16gb model in sleep mode? I'm unable to find any option...
press the droidmote power button one time.

long press instead open power menu and you can also shutdown

back button resume from sleep.
Developer of DroidMote Server and DroidMote Client. Read the Quick Start Guides and then I'll be happy to help.
Donate with Paypal or Donate with Crypto
Valvvk

Post by Valvvk »

Mogster,
thank you for your responce!
Yes,i've flashed "blob",it mean my shield is "toast"...Very sad...but true...
Only Nvidia can repair it? My shield is from 2015 and any warranty is gone...
Do you have any idea, what could be cost for such a repair or recover?
Thank you!
spawn2k

Post by spawn2k »

All flashes I try I get this error on 2017 16GB
It happens when I try to flash system, vendor or blob.

>fastboot flash system system.img
erasing 'system'...
OKAY [ 1.203s]
sending sparse 'system' (61993 KB)...
finished. total time: 8.135s

Always says
sending sparse 'system' (x KB)...

An the screen when I turn on the shield keeps black, on fastboot and on a normal startup, bootloader is unlocked and I have fastboot access in theory, I'm using the fastboot from and the drivers from the first post downloads.

Can I still save the device?
hemin

Post by hemin »

zulu99 wrote:
hemin wrote:Hello, is there a way to put the 2017 16gb model in sleep mode? I'm unable to find any option...
press the droidmote power button one time.

long press instead open power menu and you can also shutdown

back button resume from sleep.
Thank you Zulu, its possible to add a shortcut or widged with the droidmote on the launcher (I use HAL Launcher) to directly call this function? Mi girl friend don't like to use the phone as the controller and install things that are different from whatsapp or twitter :lol:
Britboy1976

Post by Britboy1976 »

I would like to get this ROM but scared to try because of not having a physical power button present when undertaking the flash procedure. Any ideas how to do this without physical power button?
ritalin

Post by ritalin »

First and foremost thank you for the rom.
I took the dive into this rom mainly because I want the Shield to be more compatible with my Home-Automation software (Home-Assistant).
Stock Android TV's lack of notifications were basically killing this ability.

Now that I have all that worked out, I am trying to get some things working in a couch surfing friendly manner again.
I know that Leanback topics have been brought up here in the past, but nothing really seemed to answer what I am looking for.
Let me just state that I am not the only user of this device. If it was just me then Id happily use a mouse/keyboard or Droidmote for navigation. With that said its not just me, and the other users are not that happy about this requirement. They want to use the Harmony Remote for simple 10ft UI navigation.

I have the majority of frequent apps running in leanback mode (Plex, Netflix, Amazon, Live Channels) however there are a few stragglers which I want to fix and was hoping to get a hand with this.
  • 1) Google Play Music - It has come to my attention that at some point google removed the leanback action from the App in the playstore, so downloading any variant of it from the full playstore no longer seems to have the ability to launch in Leanback mode. I find this hysterical because it means Google is keeping two separate branches of the app, one for mobile and one for TV. In other words the exact opposite of what they are suggesting to other app developers.
    I have removed the mobile version and downloaded the Android TV variant from APKMirror, however it crashes on launch.
    Im assuming it requires something else that is missing.

2) Pluto TV - My family had become quite accustomed to the oddities for shows that appear on PlutoTV. While I can install the mobile app, it has the same navigation issues as mentioned above, and more importantly it does not have the ability to add channels to the Live Channels app.
    The Android TV variant crashes on launch same as Google Play Music.
What i find odd about all this is the Youtube (Android TV) variant installed from MirrorAPK without issue and runs like a champ. In fact it allows me to run it side by side with the mobile variant.

Is it possible that the problematic apps listed above require the Google Play Services (Android TV) variant to work correctly?
If so do you know if its possible to run both versions of Play Services from the same device?
If both versions can be run, would it also be possible to install the Play Store (Android TV) variant alongside the normal Play Store? This would be beneficial for those of us that want to run this device in hybrid type manner.

I assume I can just make a backup of my current system in recovery and give it a whirl myself, but was just wondering if anyone has tried this already so I am not covering well worn ground.

Thanks