[ROM][Full Android Nougat for Shield TV][v.1.5]

Full Android Experience with NO Limits on Shield TV and Nexus Player
riesdepies

Re: [ROM][Full Android Nougat for Shield TV][v.1.2]

Post by riesdepies »

zulu99 wrote:
riesdepies wrote:When I use this rom with a generic wireless optical mouse, will my right-click button work as the BACK button?

Thank you,

riesdepies
In Android right mouse button is the right mouse button, the back button is another button.

The right mouse button is useful for apps that support it, if you have it remapped inside the firmware, you will lose apps compatibility, and your firmware is not a standard Android aosp firmware.
Thank you. Would it be possible for me to remap this after I flashed your rom? Like with a small update.zip patch? I really like using the right mouse button as my BACK button..
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

riesdepies wrote:
zulu99 wrote:
riesdepies wrote:When I use this rom with a generic wireless optical mouse, will my right-click button work as the BACK button?

Thank you,

riesdepies
In Android right mouse button is the right mouse button, the back button is another button.

The right mouse button is useful for apps that support it, if you have it remapped inside the firmware, you will lose apps compatibility, and your firmware is not a standard Android aosp firmware.
Thank you. Would it be possible for me to remap this after I flashed your rom? Like with a small update.zip patch? I really like using the right mouse button as my BACK button..
No this is not possible. Mouse right button is part of the firmware and is not mappable in Android.
On some old Chinese boxes this is included in the firmware and is an horror of development since you will lose forever the right mouse button.
Back button is the back button in Android and you can use any other standard button remapped as back button but not the right mouse button.
Developer of DroidMote Server and DroidMote Client. Read the Quick Start Guides and then I'll be happy to help.
Donate with Paypal or Donate with Crypto
riesdepies

Post by riesdepies »

zulu99 wrote:No this is not possible. Mouse right button is part of the firmware and is not mappable in Android.
On some old Chinese boxes this is included in the firmware and is an horror of development since you will lose forever the right mouse button.
Back button is the back button in Android and you can use any other standard button remapped as back button but not the right mouse button.
Just to make sure I understand correctly, when you say it is part of the firmware, do you mean it is not part of the rom?
Because if it is part of the rom, that would mean it would be possible for me to change it, right?

I understand how this would be a hack and undesirable in a developers point of view.
It's just that I've found the right mouse button works really nice as a Back button on my previous (indeed Chinese) Android box.
I don't use any Android apps that depend on the right mouse button so I'm more than willing to sacrifice it. :)
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

riesdepies wrote:
zulu99 wrote:No this is not possible. Mouse right button is part of the firmware and is not mappable in Android.
Just to make sure I understand correctly, when you say it is part of the firmware, do you mean it is not part of the rom?
Because if it is part of the rom, that would mean it would be possible for me to change it, right?

I understand how this would be a hack and undesirable in a developers point of view.
It's just that I've found the right mouse button works really nice as a Back button on my previous (indeed Chinese) Android box.
I don't use any Android apps that depend on the right mouse button so I'm more than willing to sacrifice it. :)
If was a setting, mapping, or parameter to change with root, delete or add a file etc you can.
But since is part of the Android framework, is a thing inside the core source code of Android.

If you are a crazy and incompetent developer, you can change it before you compile the firmware.

Anyway i can't help you on this, but you can contact Google and convince the developers that in an OS the right mouse button is not necessary. Or maybe you can contact the Samsung developers and discuss if they can remove from the DEX ( phone as desktop ) the right mouse button. Samsung Dex is this https://youtu.be/QA31CaL_42A

But also with full Android you can use apps like Slashtop or Vnc where the right mouse button is necessary.

You can solve your problem with a simple remote with the back button..... or you can use also DroidMote, that is mouse and also back button.

P.S.
I have nothing against your question, i understand; but i have something to say to many Chinese incompetent developers that in the last years ruined many firmwares of android tv boxes.
Developer of DroidMote Server and DroidMote Client. Read the Quick Start Guides and then I'll be happy to help.
Donate with Paypal or Donate with Crypto
Stevie G

Post by Stevie G »

Veronica wrote:
Stevie G wrote:Ok guys, sorry for asking stupid question, I've got the 2015 shield 16gb version rooted with 3.2

I know I have missed quite a few updates so far, but do I just let it update automatically to MM ver 5.x and then or will it update straight to Nougat stock 5.x

Do I then flash Nougat full Android version.

Thank you
Did you read all 3 first posts of this thread?.
Stock Nvidia MM versions are 3.x and Nougat versions are 5.x.

In 3th post you have instructions how to upgrade to Nougat from MM.

If you are in stock Nvidia Experience Upgrade 3.2, then it is faster and easier to upgrade to Nougat. If that is the case then just let it update automatically. Once you're sure you have latest stock Nougat 5.1 (as of today) installed, proceed to flash Full Android Nougat.

Sent from my Tapatalk beta Hub
Hi Veronica

Sorry I looked wrong, I'm on StockRestyle 3.2 for Shield Android TV, how do I do back to stock 3.3 or do I just update it automatically. Will it brick or must I flash again.

Please show me steps to go to stock before I update to Nougat.

Thank you
fredphoesh

Post by fredphoesh »

Hi
After years of watching the the custom ROMs zulu has made, I decided to take the plunge with my 2015 Shield ATV console... and it works really well, I am VERY happy I did this, not too hard to do and the positives definitely outweigh the negatives. So far my gripes are:

1/ quite a lot of apps crash when they do not respond and you backspace or ESC or mouse click to get out of them.

2/ google assistant/now is VERY inaccurate, actually it is completely useless... cannot recognise any sentence properly. My Pixel phone is perfect. For example I say "When is Barak Obamas birthday?" I get the a search page for the word "hippopotamus". Then I ask "When is my next appointment" = "it's my prediction of property boots". What on earth is it doing, it's gone nuts it seems ?

3/ the power button on the box does not work at all, not to go to standby mode nor to come out of standby... have to press keyboard key and use a power app to go into standby mode.

4/ This is not an issue with this ROM... but I also wish the alternative Launchers were better, HALauncher crashes all the time, Total Launcher is fantastic but has very limited arrow / remote navigation abilities, so I am using Top TV Launcher, very limited and not sexy like the Google Leanback launcher or Apple TV launchers, but functions well.

Tx
Mark
34dabears

Post by 34dabears »

fredphoesh wrote:Hi
After years of watching the the custom ROMs zulu has made, I decided to take the plunge with my 2015 Shield ATV console... and it works really well, I am VERY happy I did this, not too hard to do and the positives definitely outweigh the negatives. So far my gripes are:

1/ quite a lot of apps crash when they do not respond and you backspace or ESC or mouse click to get out of them.

2/ google assistant/now is VERY inaccurate, actually it is completely useless... cannot recognise any sentence properly. My Pixel phone is perfect. For example I say "When is Barak Obamas birthday?" I get the a search page for the word "hippopotamus". Then I ask "When is my next appointment" = "it's my prediction of property boots". What on earth is it doing, it's gone nuts it seems ?

3/ the power button on the box does not work at all, not to go to standby mode nor to come out of standby... have to press keyboard key and use a power app to go into standby mode.

4/ This is not an issue with this ROM... but I also wish the alternative Launchers were better, HALauncher crashes all the time, Total Launcher is fantastic but has very limited arrow / remote navigation abilities, so I am using Top TV Launcher, very limited and not sexy like the Google Leanback launcher or Apple TV launchers, but functions well.

Tx
Mark
I dont have any of those issues with the rom occasional crash but very seldom. I use the squarehome launcher 2 here is a youtube link to my setup if you would like to copy it go right ahead.
https://youtu.be/F0opC0q5pyM
You need to read the initial several posts to fix the power button issue and it has been re quoted at least once a week or 2 ago.
mimo_424

Post by mimo_424 »

Hello guys,

I have droidmote working great but I cant get the righthand analog pad on my shield 2015 controller to work as a mouse. I've tried whats has been suggested by installing droidmote client on the shield and using droidmoteIME. but unfortunately not working. A little help would be appreciated.
fredphoesh

Post by fredphoesh »

Hi
Odd that you are not getting the number of crashes I get (every few minutes)

The power button is not mentioned in the first two pages of this post... it should be mentioned in the first 3 posts, as the first post says to read the first three posts before asking any questions! there are 88 pages here, so I am not about to read all of them, and "The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: power button."

I am giving square launcher a go, thanks for the help. I had bought it ages ago, have SSlauncher and Total Lancher too by the same guy.

Mark.
34dabears wrote: I dont have any of those issues with the rom occasional crash but very seldom. I use the squarehome launcher 2 here is a youtube link to my setup if you would like to copy it go right ahead.
https://youtu.be/F0opC0q5pyM
You need to read the initial several posts to fix the power button issue and it has been re quoted at least once a week or 2 ago.
lowmotility

Post by lowmotility »

Hi zulu.

i just did a fresh install.
I have a few hings crash
chromecasting to shield crashes on the shield
also the shield doesn't sleep reliably.
a few other things also force close (can't remember from the top of my head)