[ROM][Full Android Nougat for Shield TV][v.1.5]

Full Android Experience with NO Limits on Shield TV and Nexus Player
zulu99
Site Admin

Re: [ROM][Full Android Nougat for Shield TV][v.1.0]

Post by zulu99 »

loki495 wrote:
I bought DroidMote and I'm still trying to figure it out. Is there a way to use the new game controller right stick as mouse? I have both server and client installed, and it connects to it. Even switching keyboard to droidmoteIME didn't work. For the moment I am using a usb wifi mouse for some apps. Both the new controller and remote work fine.

Great work!!
To select droidmoteIME, after you install also droidmote Client on Shield TV for the first time,
go in Android Settings, Keyboard and click to select droidmoteIME
From this moment you can slect it also by pressing the keyboard icon of DroidMote Client.
The first procedure is necessary to enable the droidmoteIME in Android.

Yes you can use mouse on the righ stick like in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQhwHjqfH9w

The DroidMote mouse and touch mouse, works on all apps and games and is Android OS system libraries and framework independent, not like the garbage invented by Nvidia that work only on a small number of apps. DroidMote emulate real hardware devices at kernel level, Nvidia instead inject events trought the Android framework and libraries. The Nvidia implementation compromise the input subsystem of Android and cause interferences with others hardware input devices, also with a simple hardware mause that sometime became crazy and the pointer walking alone as if there were a ghost. But not only this, the Nvidia implementation create also more dangerous problems at low level inside Android. Are very tech things, if you are interested i can explain step by step.

I hope that Nvidia will delete soon this garbage from his firmwares, because create many problems. But i have a suggestion also for the stock firmware on how to eliminate this garbage. For DroidMote i'm adding specific work around, but the problem is still present for others hardware input devices.

The Nvidia firmwares, currently, are not compliant to this guidelines: https://source.android.com/devices/input/overview.html
This means that no one Nvidia firmware, also for tablets, could have the Google certification. The Google excuse is that Shield TV have Android TV and not Android, but the problems are on low level components that are present in Android and also on Android TV. Plus the problems happen only on Nvidia firmwares, incluse tablets and portable. Not others Android TV or normal Android device are affected by this problems.

From 4 years Nvidia continue add this garbage to his firmwares, and from 4 years i study this garbage because i have also users with nvidia devices. I know what i write.

Developer of DroidMote Server and DroidMote Client. Read the Quick Start Guides and then I'll be happy to help.
Donate with Paypal or Donate with Crypto
Wes

Post by Wes »

After changing Foster in system i get this message when I reboot
"There is An international problem with your device".

Do I also change vendor I see nothing I van change?
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

Wes wrote:After changing Foster in system i get this message when I reboot
"There is An international problem with your device".

Do I also change vendor I see nothing I van change?
YES when you change build.prop in system partition, you must change also in vendor partition. Otherwise you see this error.
Developer of DroidMote Server and DroidMote Client. Read the Quick Start Guides and then I'll be happy to help.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Can we also use keyboard with controller?
Sorry for all the noob questions...
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

Wes wrote:Can we also use keyboard with controller?
Sorry for all the noob questions...
You have DroidMote to write in the best way. No others things are better than this, you can also use your voice to write and also copy on phone and paste on shield tv. But, in the 99% of cases, the default google keyboard on your phone is the best way to write on your Shield TV. Also in the night, when lights are turned off ;)

Do not forget that this firmware, mainly, was made for DroidMote users. Because I take care of my users.

Please Wes, don't spam the forum with 1000000 questions in two minutes.
beng

Post by beng »

zulu99 wrote:If currently you have installed full Android Marshmallow on your 2015 model, you can reinstall the stock firmware 3.3 and install the automatic update to stock Nougat 5.0.2

When you are on stock Nougat, you can install the system and vendor image of full Android Nougat.
Thanks Zulu99
if anyone, like me, needs to follow these instructions above, here is the link to the recovery images for:
- Shield TV 2017 (16 Gb) --> 5.0.1
- Shield TV Pro (500 Gb) --> 3.3.0 (this entry does not bear any indication of the year but I would logically assume it should be "Shield TV Pro (2015) (500 Gb)")
- Shield TV 2015 (16 Gb) --> 3.3.0

https://developer.nvidia.com/shield-open-source

Please also read the instructions Nvida provides carefully

(before reinstalling stock firmware 3.3.0, you could back up you apps + data with Titanium Backup)
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

Personally i not tested the firmware on 2017 model, next week i will do it.

But About the wifi problem of the 2017 model, loki495 already tested the firmware on the SATV 2017, i not know if is a specific problem of this user.

But if is a generic problem, you can try edit the build.prop in system and vendor folder and change the occurrences of the word full_foster_e in darcy

This suggestion is for SATV 16 GB 2017

loki495 let me know.
Veronica

Post by Veronica »

Hello, so I've been testing this firmware and so far i like it so I'll keep it. Don't know if there is a dedicated section for bug reports so im just going to post here my findings...

1. About the wifi not working, actually it does work when you unplug ethernet cable, i was able to see my wifi networks and connect to the closest one. Once i plugged ethernet cable in again after few seconds wifi networks could no be displayed. I think this is not a bug though as in stock firmware when you are connected via ethernet you wont see the wifi networks and options at all within settings.

2. I've got few crashes in specific sections:
a. Settings > Add Account (i had to open play store and login/add my google account from there, after adding my account it is corrwctly displayed in settings but still the "+ Add another account" below force closes.
b. Settings > Language and Keyboard > keyboard settings > Language (I use a logitech k400 kb+mouse, and when going to keyboard settings to change language i got fc. The rest of the settings from preferences and below open fine)

3. When my logitech k400 is connected i see an option to change keyboard settings in notifications (left side of the status bar) but when i click on it, does nothing so wont open settings.

Pretty much very small bugs, overall so far the firmware is rock solid and way more usable. Thanks again zulu99, and if you need me to test something specific let me know.

Do you guys know of an Android TV apps bank where i can find the official Android TV apps? I figured it out with youtube and proper netflix was already installed but i need few other apps with Android TV friendly UI for my non techy family.
sask3m

Post by sask3m »

Anyone looking for 5.02 ota zip for 2015 Shield 16 gb model here is a a link. I have flashed this myself and worked perfect.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/shield ... o-t3545423

Now I have a question. If we flash this new Nougat full android and decide to go back what is the correct procedure? Do we simply flash the stock 5.02 back or do we need to use the -w option as well? Last time I went back I still had some full android apps left on my system which I had to manually remove. Thanks.
PLAY911

Post by PLAY911 »

Veronica wrote:Hello, so I've been testing this firmware and so far i like it so I'll keep it. Don't know if there is a dedicated section for bug reports so im just going to post here my findings...

1. About the wifi not working, actually it does work when you unplug ethernet cable, i was able to see my wifi networks and connect to the closest one. Once i plugged ethernet cable in again after few seconds wifi networks could no be displayed. I think this is not a bug though as in stock firmware when you are connected via ethernet you wont see the wifi networks and options at all within settings.
I really hate this!....in MINIX you can activate Wifi or Ethernet as desired,....

Tonite I will give a try an will let you know my impressions

Best!!