[ROM][Full Android Nougat for Shield TV][v.1.5]

Full Android Experience with NO Limits on Shield TV and Nexus Player
zulu99
Site Admin

Re: [ROM][Full Android Nougat for Shield TV][v.1.1]

Post by zulu99 »

jinx89502 wrote:I have sorted all my issues I had did the -w to wipe all I had to do was go on apk mirror and DL google play services and play store on PC then install on shield. Once again thank you for all your help Zulu I'm so glad to have you developing for the shield tv.
What Google play and Google services....

With fastboot -w you erase the garbage data installed by Android TV and at first boot the firmware automatically recreate the new data with the good google play and services that are inside the full Android system image.

Therefore your problem was only that you not used fastboot -w after the flash of system and vendor image.
Developer of DroidMote Server and DroidMote Client. Read the Quick Start Guides and then I'll be happy to help.
Donate with Paypal or Donate with Crypto
Chaozine

Post by Chaozine »

I installed full android Nougat on my Shield 2015 16gb yesterday. I followed the instructions in op and Veronica's additional tips and didn't encounter any problems whatsoever. Thanks zulu99!
dot64

Post by dot64 »

How to Flash NVIDIA SHIELD 16GB (2017 Model)

I have below a step-by-step instruction written for how to flash the 2017 Model NVIDIA SHIELD TV 16GB based
on the information I've gathered on this thread and my personal experience. Hopefully this can help out for
those having trouble flashing the 2017 model and perhaps give zulu99 a bit of a break to play on his Shield ;)

Most of the below should be relevant to the other NVIDIA SHIELD TV variants but not exact. The below is only step by step for 2017 model 16GB.
If you are a first time flasher of an Android device, this guide will probably not be enough information to accomplish the flash. For others that have flashed before, hopefully a breeze :D

Prerequisites:

- A Good Working PC
- NVIDIA gaming controller (included in 2017 model)
- Zullu99's Full Android Nougat for Shield TV (Download link on 1st post of this thread)
- NVIDIA Drivers for Shield (Download: https://developer.nvidia.com/gameworksd ... dows%20USB )
- ADB & Fastboot Installed System-wide (Info & Download: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showth ... ?t=2588979 )
- A Good Quality & Reliable Working USB Type A Male to Male Cable (old, cheap, worn out cables could cause issues in flashing)
- USB Mouse
- special TWRP from XDA (Download: https://forum.xda-developers.com/shield ... 7-t3545544 )
- TWRP-flashable SuperSU ZIP (Download: http://www.supersu.com/download ) (ZIP V2.79 or Newer)

1. Enable special USB port for ADB

.....a. This can be done from Settings - Storage and Reset. You will be shown a picture of which port is going to be the one needed for ADB to PC after enabling which is the USB port furthest away from the HDMI port.

2. Enable USB Debugging in Developer options in Settings

.....a. This can be done by first enabling Developer Options by opening Settings - About Android - Press several times on "Build Number". You should get a message confirming Developer options to be enabled.

3. Plug in your USB cable from the Shield (port furthest from HDMI) to your PC.

.....a. You should receive a message on the shield to "Allow USB debugging" Be sure to select "Always allow from this computer" and press ok. If you do not receive this message, reboot the SHIELD TV and try again

4. Ensure you have your NVIDIA gaming controller connected via USB to the only remaining USB port closest to the HDMI port.

5. On your PC, ensure you have the following already downloaded and in a folder ready to go:
.....a. zulu99's Nougat ROM extracted (should be 3 files system.img, vendor.img & readme.txt)
.....b. special TWRP from XDA extracted (should be 1 file recovery.img)
.....c. SuperSU TWRP-flashable .ZIP file (should be 1 file SuperSU-v2.79-201612051815.zip) (File name may be different if newer version downloaded)

6. From within that folder, open a command prompt with administrative privileges

.....a. On Windows 8-10, File - Open Command Prompt - Open Command Prompt as Administrator

7. Put NVIDIA SHEILD 2017 into Fastboot mode using one of the following methods
.....a. SW method: In your command prompt window type "adb reboot bootloader"
.....OR
.....b. HW method: Unplug power cord of SHEILD TV, while holding down A & B on your NVIDIA game controller plug power in SHEILD TV

*****NOTE: At this point, your SHEILD TV should be in fastboot mode. However, on your PC, in Device Manager, you may have an unknown device called Fastboot. It is important to make sure you install the Fastboot drivers before continuing. I did not have luck installing the drivers from the NVIDIA drivers provided. Instead, I had to manually install the drivers. For pictured steps, please reference howto_driver.zip on the first post https://forum.xda-developers.com/showth ... ?t=2588979 This of course assuming you have device drivers installed using the installer from XDA*****

8. Run all of the following commands in order:
.....a. fastboot oem unlock

- You should get a message on the SHEILD waiting to press continue. Press continue using the A button on your NVIDIA gaming controller
.....b. fastboot flash system system.img
- Wait until the system.img file is flashed before continuing
.....c. fastboot flash vendor vendor.img
- Wait until the vendor.img file is flashed before continuing
.....d. fastboot -w
- Wait until command run is complete
.....e. fastboot boot recovery.img
- SHEILD TV should now reboot and boot into TWRP. At this point, it would be helpful if you unplugged the NVIDIA game controller and used a USB mouse to operate through TWRP.

9. From your PC, copy the SuperSU TWRP-flashable .ZIP file to the NVIDIA SHEILD TV.

.....a. You should see the SHEILD appear in Computer as a device to copy the ZIP file over.

10. In TWRP, Install the .ZIP file

.....a. Slide bar saying "Allow Modifications...", Select Install from ZIP, Select the SuperSU .ZIP file and Install

11. After sucessfully installing the ZIP file, press the reboot option.

If all goes well, your NVIDIA SHEILD TV 16GB (2017 model) should be booting up to zulu99's Full Android Nougat ROM. Please note that you will receive an orange ! message saying "Your device software can't be checked for corruption." This is NORMAL since we've unlocked the bootloader. This message should go away on its own and continue to boot.

P.S. Please let me know if these steps need any corrections if mistakes are noticed :)
How To Flash NVIDIA SHIELD TV 16GB (2017 Model): viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1646&start=210#p4820
drilus

Post by drilus »

zulu99 wrote:
drilus wrote:I have an Shield 2017 running 5.0.1.

I flashed your system and vendor images. I only get a blank screen. I tried booting to twrp to flash supersu but it never fully boots and just restarts. You mentioned in your post a few pages back that supersu should be installed.

I then reflashed stock 5.0.1 and it booted correctly.
If I'm running full Android Nougat on my 2017 model and 2015 model,
Many others users are running full Android Nougat on their 2017 model, many others on their 2015 models, what can be your problem ?

Can you suggest something to us ?

Your bootloader is unlocked ? you used the command fastboot oem unlock and Continue on Shield TV at least one time ?

You have used the command fastboot -w to wipe the fucking Android TV data ?

it is possible that your Shield TV is possessed by a ghost?
I've had many problems with this Shield 2017. My problems started by trying to install the Nvidia Fastboot drivers on Win10. The latest drivers they provided wouldn't do anything. After several hours of investigating I noticed that the Shield 2017 Fastboot interface had a newer HardwareID. Nvidia didn't even update their own drivers to reflect the hardware change. I hacked the drivers myself to include the missing information and I now was able to connect to the Shield 2017 via Fastboot! I have a ticket open with the Nvidia Developer team to report this bug.

In response to your question. Yes I ran "fastboot -w". I was actually able to get into TWRP using "UNOFFICIAL-twrp-3.0.2-ALL-Shields-build2.zip" provided here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/shield ... 7-t3545544 . However, TWRP would immediately restart if I left the USB cable plugged into my computer. This happens on both my Windows 10 machine and my Mac. So I can get into TWRP but I can't transfer any files. I even had TWRP run a Factory Reset which still didn't fix the black screen.

I don't know why I get a black screen after flashing your images and running "fastboot -w". I figured it was like the other guys problem where I need to have root in order to boot correctly. If I was able to boot the OS I could transfer supersu and get it flashed. However....for some reason I can't get past a black screen.

I suspect that Nvidia is sending out Shield's that have slightly different hardware. Maybe they are being cheap and the hardware is different for some factories. Whatever the reason, it seems that the newer Shield 2017's are still causing some headaches.

Oh, I'm running a Shield 2017 16GB.
dot64

Post by dot64 »

drilus wrote:
zulu99 wrote:
drilus wrote:I have an Shield 2017 running 5.0.1.

I flashed your system and vendor images. I only get a blank screen. I tried booting to twrp to flash supersu but it never fully boots and just restarts. You mentioned in your post a few pages back that supersu should be installed.

I then reflashed stock 5.0.1 and it booted correctly.
If I'm running full Android Nougat on my 2017 model and 2015 model,
Many others users are running full Android Nougat on their 2017 model, many others on their 2015 models, what can be your problem ?

Can you suggest something to us ?

Your bootloader is unlocked ? you used the command fastboot oem unlock and Continue on Shield TV at least one time ?

You have used the command fastboot -w to wipe the fucking Android TV data ?

it is possible that your Shield TV is possessed by a ghost?
I've had many problems with this Shield 2017. My problems started by trying to install the Nvidia Fastboot drivers on Win10. The latest drivers they provided wouldn't do anything. After several hours of investigating I noticed that the Shield 2017 Fastboot interface had a newer HardwareID. Nvidia didn't even update their own drivers to reflect the hardware change. I hacked the drivers myself to include the missing information and I now was able to connect to the Shield 2017 via Fastboot! I have a ticket open with the Nvidia Developer team to report this bug.

In response to your question. Yes I ran "fastboot -w". I was actually able to get into TWRP using "UNOFFICIAL-twrp-3.0.2-ALL-Shields-build2.zip" provided here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/shield ... 7-t3545544 . However, TWRP would immediately restart if I left the USB cable plugged into my computer. This happens on both my Windows 10 machine and my Mac. So I can get into TWRP but I can't transfer any files. I even had TWRP run a Factory Reset which still didn't fix the black screen.

I don't know why I get a black screen after flashing your images and running "fastboot -w". I figured it was like the other guys problem where I need to have root in order to boot correctly. If I was able to boot the OS I could transfer supersu and get it flashed. However....for some reason I can't get past a black screen.

I suspect that Nvidia is sending out Shield's that have slightly different hardware. Maybe they are being cheap and the hardware is different for some factories. Whatever the reason, it seems that the newer Shield 2017's are still causing some headaches.

Oh, I'm running a Shield 2017 16GB.
Are you trying to boot TWRP with the USB connected to the USB port furthest away from the HDMI port on the shield 2017?

Also, just a thought, if you can get your shield to boot TWRP, what about trying to put the superSU ZIP on a fresh FAT32 formatted USB flash drive and plugging that in instead for TWRP to flash root from?
How To Flash NVIDIA SHIELD TV 16GB (2017 Model): viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1646&start=210#p4820
drilus

Post by drilus »

dot64 wrote: Are you trying to boot TWRP with the USB connected to the USB port furthest away from the HDMI port on the shield 2017?

Also, just a thought, if you can get your shield to boot TWRP, what about trying to put the superSU ZIP on a fresh FAT32 formatted USB flash drive and plugging that in instead for TWRP to flash root from?
Yes, I have to unplug the USB cable furthest away from HDMI in order to boot into TWRP.

The only drawback to that is we are limited to one port. I need a mouse of some sort in order to navigate TWRP. That's a good idea though. I have a spare USB hub that I could plug in. Then attach both a mouse and a FAT32 drive. I'll give that a try once I get home!

Btw, I'm glad I'm not the only one encountering the Fastboot driver problem. Ugh....what a pain that was.
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

For full Android Nougat users

Take a look to full Android Settings -> Display -> Display Size

This is a new feauture of Nougat that permit the change of DPI on fly.

Mainly, for example, if you have an Android TV apps that look better at 320 DPI, you can change the screen size on fly.

In previous firmwares we used xposed quick settings module to change DPI per apps. if necessary.

So DPI and full Screen is not problem with Nougat, i must only found an easy way to route audio of phone and video calls to HDMI.
For now the most simple way should be unpack the apk, remove the permission MODIFY.AUDIO.SETTINGS and resign the apk
for hangouts and facebook messenger.

By default, the audio and video calls are routed to the old controller oudio. You can listen the audio of phone calls and video calls with headphones connected to the old controller.

What i don't like of this firmware ?

The wifi, was better in previous firmware, because the current wifi-direct implementation for the old controller create an ACCESS POINT always active that degrade the normal wifi usage. Find wifi networks on your phone to see this new AP.

The input subsystem of this firmware, it is the same that you have on stock firmware, to be compatible with Nvidia controllers.
It is an horrible implementation that can create problems to others input devices.

If Nvidia, remove this garbage from his firmware, in general all others things are good.

After all, with the new bluetooth controller, this things are not more necessary. If Nvidia understand, and remove this garbage that is not present in the original Android, we can have really very good firmwares.

The invention of the new controller in bluetooth mode is a step forward and confirm that also Nvidia know this problems, but unfortunately the garbage was not removed.

My suggestion to Nvidia:
Restore the original input subsystem of Android, you have too many bugs inside. Read also my gripes about the multi touch spots....
Remove the bad wifi-direct from all your firmwares, also from the tablets.
Correct also the audio implementation, so we can have also standard Android behaviour.

My thoughts:
I don't understand how Google can certify these firmwares ( also tablet firmwares ) that not follow the Google guidelines. So the certification is just a question of money ? A not standard firmwares create problems on apps in Google Play and to others input devices. Who indemnifies these developers, Google or Nvidia ?
For this reason i think that Android without root is just Mafia, companies that fight others companies with firmware implementations and the end-user, when don't have root, is just a stupid monkey in the hands of this big companies.
Developer of DroidMote Server and DroidMote Client. Read the Quick Start Guides and then I'll be happy to help.
Donate with Paypal or Donate with Crypto
Grodri1972

Post by Grodri1972 »

You are correct my friend pure Android with root is the best for our Nvidia Shield TV everything works flawlessly
jason3214

Post by jason3214 »

I've no idea where I am going wrong with my shield 16gb 2017 I've been trying to install full android for near on two days now every time it gets stuck on the Nvidia logo, I am thankfully able to revert back to via the recovery image to stock , I've factory reset the box and gone into ADB via the controller to unlock and flash the ROM sadly it keeps on getting stuck on the Nvidia screen the box is only three days old so I am not sure why it's not working any ideas are appreciated thanks
marvinsi

Post by marvinsi »

Aren't you forgetting the command fastboot -w ?