[ROM][Full Android PIE for Shield TV][v.1.0]

Full Android Experience with NO Limits on Shield TV and Nexus Player
elpaaablo

Re: [ROM][Full Android PIE for Shield TV][v.1.0]

Post by elpaaablo »

I have 2 main issues with this ROM:
1 - VPN isn't working via wired network (tried 2 VPN)
2 - I can't write to system, so no second usb port available for SSD disk. Mount - o,remount / doesn't work for me (/dev/root is read only error). Tried over ADB, too. I guess it's a verity thing, since I own a 2017 model.

Also, everytime I reboot/power off the shield, the tv input is changed. With time, I was able to get Oreo working without issues. I'm hoping that will happen with pie too. I really love to have full android on my Shield TV.
Rebel_X

Post by Rebel_X »

I really appreciate Zulu99's work, he is one of the selected few if not the only one welling to produce Full Android TV experiance for the Shield. But I am a little sad and disappointed that this ROM has turned nVidia Shield TV into a normal Chinese Android TV box.

Most of the feartures of the Stock ROM have gone! The last feature full IMO was the NOUGAT version! Oreo was not a half bad, but full of bugs as of now too. With PIE, it is even worse than OREO!! What prevents me from trying to go back to Nougat because of some of my games and apps I purchased that only works for the shield, have been updated to work with OREO as a minimum version!! I am seriously thinking of going Stock using Developer ROM and find a way to root using adb root to sideload su binary as I did in v6.3 long time ago. Android TV can ru any normal Full Android App, the only frustration comes from the leanback launcher which does not show sideloaded apks, but that is fixable using Sideload Launcher.
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

SteAltH wrote:Zulu99, awesome work!

For those who have troubles with writing into /system dir use this code

Code: Select all

mount -o rw,remount /
instead of

mount -o rw,remount /system
That will work! Spent several hours to find it! Now you can modify build.prop and other system files!

Also new firmware still lacks a lot of things, especially Shield TV Settings App where you can configure HDMI-CEC behavior of your Shield TV, LED brightness and other goodies. Other NVIDIA apps (not third-party) like Backdrop and NvShare will be usefull too!
You'll need to pair your SHIELD Controller/Remote manually to make them work!
WiFi Hotspot from Settings app is not working in this version.

So, will eagerly wait for future updates.
I hope Zulu99 will make it in "Everything the stock firmware can offer" style like it was earlier in Full Android Nougat and Oreo.
You can't have Nvidia Settings because now you have REAL Android framework without imposed stuff inside. Means that you can do really what you want. We can have soon also Android Q :) Have a framework of a manufacturer means that you must do only what the manufacturer want.

Anyway if something is really really important, i can see how to port inside Android. Personally i don't miss nothing.

p.s.
Backdrop is installabile and usable. You can get the apk from apkmirror.
Lineage have inside the Recorder app that can record audio and video that replace well Nvshare

for system mount you can uase also:

adb root
adb remount
Developer of DroidMote Server and DroidMote Client. Read the Quick Start Guides and then I'll be happy to help.
Donate with Paypal or Donate with Crypto
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

Rebel_X wrote:I really appreciate Zulu99's work, he is one of the selected few if not the only one welling to produce Full Android TV experiance for the Shield. But I am a little sad and disappointed that this ROM has turned nVidia Shield TV into a normal Chinese Android TV box.

Most of the feartures of the Stock ROM have gone! The last feature full IMO was the NOUGAT version! Oreo was not a half bad, but full of bugs as of now too. With PIE, it is even worse than OREO!! What prevents me from trying to go back to Nougat because of some of my games and apps I purchased that only works for the shield, have been updated to work with OREO as a minimum version!! I am seriously thinking of going Stock using Developer ROM and find a way to root using adb root to sideload su binary as I did in v6.3 long time ago. Android TV can ru any normal Full Android App, the only frustration comes from the leanback launcher which does not show sideloaded apks, but that is fixable using Sideload Launcher.
What you write is not true, otherwise i will use Android TV.
Android TV have many missing components that a complete Android version have and for this reason you can't run many apps or games.
Many apps relay on status bar that is not existent in Android TV and also relay to some Android settings that are not existent in Android TV.
Apart this, Nvidia to add his stuff, completely rearrange the entire Android framework and the consequence is that you can have apps not compatible and the overall system slower.

The Main reasons of full Android is to have all regular Android games working and all alternative video apps working.
A browser at regular scale, since the web, by itself, offer millions things.
Apart this we can run also Netflix and Amazon video in HD, also if you can find the contents of this two apps also elsewhere :)
Developer of DroidMote Server and DroidMote Client. Read the Quick Start Guides and then I'll be happy to help.
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

elpaaablo wrote:I have 2 main issues with this ROM:
1 - VPN isn't working via wired network (tried 2 VPN)
2 - I can't write to system, so no second usb port available for SSD disk. Mount - o,remount / doesn't work for me (/dev/root is read only error). Tried over ADB, too. I guess it's a verity thing, since I own a 2017 model.

Also, everytime I reboot/power off the shield, the tv input is changed. With time, I was able to get Oreo working without issues. I'm hoping that will happen with pie too. I really love to have full android on my Shield TV.
To mount system partition you can do:

adb root
adb remount

VPN work well with wifi but you are right on ethernet have problems but i found a solution.

With ethernet enabled, enable the vpn and after in terminal write:

su
ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig eth0 up
You can create also a shortcut that do this automatically
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... riptrunner
elpaablo

Post by elpaablo »

Zulu99, that ADB command worked fine, but I'm still unable to use the second usb port (tried the oreo method, by editing build.prop and factory resetting).

VPN is working on ethernet, for now. If it holds, I'll automate that code with tasker. Thanks.

I like treble project. The only things I miss is HDMI-SEC settings and a working version of Nvidia Games. Everything else I can install (or uninstall) it myself.

Please keep up the good work.
Kempston

Post by Kempston »

Also, the colours are really strange, washed out and bright with the H/W composer enabled, but the disabled selection is lost on a reboot. Is there any was of having the settings held on a reboot rather than having to press 'About Phone' option in settings on every boot?
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

Kempston wrote:Also, the colours are really strange, washed out and bright with the H/W composer enabled, but the disabled selection is lost on a reboot. Is there any was of having the settings held on a reboot rather than having to press 'About Phone' option in settings on every boot?
i wrote this in the NOTE section on first post and for me is the only bug that i want solve, but fortunatelly i found an easy solution:

from the first post:
NOTES:
To have vivid colors on UI you must Disable HW overlay in developer options, but with this disabled you can't watch protected videos. You can Enable or Disable HW overlay based on what you are doing. To make the process easier I added a function that automatically Disable HW overlay when you open the "About Phone" screen of the Android Settings. It is only necessary one time after a complete restart.

If this is hard to do, means you're really too lazy :)
I don't want add automatically, because some times you can start the device just to shoot a video from your phone to chromecast receiver
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

elpaablo wrote:Zulu99, that ADB command worked fine, but I'm still unable to use the second usb port (tried the oreo method, by editing build.prop and factory resetting).

VPN is working on ethernet, for now. If it holds, I'll automate that code with tasker. Thanks.

I like treble project. The only things I miss is HDMI-SEC settings and a working version of Nvidia Games. Everything else I can install (or uninstall) it myself.

Please keep up the good work.
Personally i use the 2017 model with one usb port dedicated to adb / access file from pc and the other port with a usb hub to connect others things and is the best solution. On 2015 model we have also a micro usb port to do adb. Nvidia wanted to save money with the 2017 model :)

Anyway if this is extremply necessary for you, you ca try this with root:

To enable USB-HOST:

echo USB-HOST > /sys/class/exton/ID/connect
To disable USB-HOST:

echo none > /sys/class/exton/ID/connect
Kempston

Post by Kempston »

zulu99 wrote:
Kempston wrote:Also, the colours are really strange, washed out and bright with the H/W composer enabled, but the disabled selection is lost on a reboot. Is there any was of having the settings held on a reboot rather than having to press 'About Phone' option in settings on every boot?
i wrote this in the NOTE section on first post and for me is the only bug that i want solve, but fortunatelly i found an easy solution:

from the first post:
NOTES:
To have vivid colors on UI you must Disable HW overlay in developer options, but with this disabled you can't watch protected videos. You can Enable or Disable HW overlay based on what you are doing. To make the process easier I added a function that automatically Disable HW overlay when you open the "About Phone" screen of the Android Settings. It is only necessary one time after a complete restart.

If this is hard to do, means you're really too lazy :)
I don't want add automatically, because some times you can start the device just to shoot a video from your phone to chromecast receiver
I read the note, hence my reference to the About Phone option. ;) I was just wondering if it could be reversed and be turned off by default rather than on. Not an issue, I hopefully won't be restarting that often. I guess I am being lazy. :D

Unfortunately, I'm still unable to fix the overscan, there appears to be no way of creating a shortcut to the app in the vendor folder. Some pointers would be appreciated as I can't do much with this at the moment as I'm losing around 10% of the screen.