Help with VPN connection

Discussion about DroidMote Server for Android
Ukislander

Help with VPN connection

Post by Ukislander »

Hi guys
OK here it goes in have a android TV box and a Samsung tab 3 tablet I use the tablet as the remote and everything connects and works great BUT as soon as I turn my VPN on it stops working I've tried the same VPN on both devices and no enjoy I've tried everything I can think of and still can't get it to work helllpppp please

Kind regards
zulu99
Site Admin

Re: Help with VPN connection

Post by zulu99 »

Ukislander wrote:Hi guys
OK here it goes in have a android TV box and a Samsung tab 3 tablet I use the tablet as the remote and everything connects and works great BUT as soon as I turn my VPN on it stops working I've tried the same VPN on both devices and no enjoy I've tried everything I can think of and still can't get it to work helllpppp please

Kind regards
You can connect the client to the server before active the vpn. If you active on one device a vpn but not lose the local network ip address the server and client connection persist.

Regardless DroidMote, you must be sure that the client and the server must have a valid ip address of the same network. If the client device can ping the server device you can't lose the connection.

Usually i active the vpn on my server device withoit problems, because also with the vpn active i have always also my local ip address.

You don't explained well your config. If you need help explain better step by step what is your config.
Developer of DroidMote Server and DroidMote Client. Read the Quick Start Guides and then I'll be happy to help.
Donate with Paypal or Donate with Crypto
Ukislander

Post by Ukislander »

Hi Zulu
I've tried just using the VPN on the server client only and when I activate it I still lose connection ive tried stopping the server client before activating the VPN and then starting it and still no good and with the server client running and and staring the VPN and still don't work the VPN I'm using is hide my IP on a mxq android box

Config
Server client is on a mxq android box running version 4.4.2
Droidmote client is on a Samsung tab 3 with android version 5.1.1 (lollypop)
Hide my IP VPN

As I said droidmote works fanatic until I activate VPN then I lose connection and its driving me mad lol

Thanks for your help
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

Ukislander wrote:Hi Zulu
I've tried just using the VPN on the server client only and when I activate it I still lose connection ive tried stopping the server client before activating the VPN and then starting it and still no good and with the server client running and and staring the VPN and still don't work the VPN I'm using is hide my IP on a mxq android box

Config
Server client is on a mxq android box running version 4.4.2
Droidmote client is on a Samsung tab 3 with android version 5.1.1 (lollypop)
Hide my IP VPN

As I said droidmote works fanatic until I activate VPN then I lose connection and its driving me mad lol

Thanks for your help
You must connect the client to the server and after active the vpn on the server device.

I tested touch vpn from google play. When i active the vpn on my server device, i continue to use DroidMote without problems. Try touch vpn from Google Play and let me know.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... t.touchvpn
Developer of DroidMote Server and DroidMote Client. Read the Quick Start Guides and then I'll be happy to help.
Ukislander

Post by Ukislander »

Hi Zulu
I tested 4 vpns here are the results
Hide my IP. No
Atom VPN. No
Appvpn. No
Touch VPN. Yes

Seems strange that only 1 works?
I don't understand why??

I pay for hide my IP and yet a free one works!! Grrrrr :evil: :shock:

Kind regards
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

Ukislander wrote:Hi Zulu
I tested 4 vpns here are the results
Hide my IP. No
Atom VPN. No
Appvpn. No
Touch VPN. Yes

Seems strange that only 1 works?
I don't understand why??

I pay for hide my IP and yet a free one works!! Grrrrr :evil: :shock:

Kind regards
I tested also hide my ip, atom vpn, appvpn and all are working. I use Shield TV as server device.

I think that your problem is different.
When you connect the vpn, for some strange reason you have a disconnection of droidmote and after you are not able to connect again to the server.

You can't use the search server function in the client, but you can still put manually the old ip address in droidmote client and connect to droidmote server. When you have the vpn enabled, also if you can't use the search button in droidmote client connection dialog you can always insert the ip manually.

DroidMote server listen on all ip addres that you have, and continue listen on the previous ip of your local area network also if you have another ip from vpn.

So read from server what is the ip of your local area network, and put it manually in the client. The ip of local area network not the new ip assigned from the vpn.

there is not any logical reason why it should not work
Mary_ Jo

Post by Mary_ Jo »

Well, you can test your VPN - address . You can do it at https://2ip.io/privacy/ to check vpn. But you must be sure that you have actual IP-addres. I think you are active on one device and your VPN not lose.
stuartiannaylor

Post by stuartiannaylor »

I am the same and scratching my head droidmote server keeps grabbing the tun0 ip rather than eth0 ip.

I am using openvpn for android and even with droidmote as an excluded app it seems to make little difference.

I am not sure why droidmote is grabbing the tun0 address?
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

stuartiannaylor wrote:I am the same and scratching my head droidmote server keeps grabbing the tun0 ip rather than eth0 ip.

I am using openvpn for android and even with droidmote as an excluded app it seems to make little difference.

I am not sure why droidmote is grabbing the tun0 address?
droidmote server listen on all address

if you put manually the local ip in the client, also if you see the vpn ip in the server description, should coonnect.

If you have problems, you can also connect Client and Server and after start the vpn manually.
stuartiannaylor

Post by stuartiannaylor »

Apols Zulu maybe the dhcp had changed the IP as what you say is correct.

I have things set up correctly with openvpn for android https://developer.android.com/reference ... ng.String)
It allows you to exclude an App .

I switched to SlickVpn from Ipvanish due to the better client software but with Ipvanish it did seem like all traffic was being sucked into the vpn and the client software has no exclusion options.