zulu99
Site Admin

Re: [ROM][Full Android Marshmallow for Shield TV][v.1.4]

Post by zulu99 »

I updated the boot_from_usb recovery image. The new image version is 1.1

Changelog
You can use also with Shield TV Pro
Compatible with Android TV and Full Android
Stock Kernel and ability to have DRM for apps that need DRM like Netflix.
To have DRM: fastboot boot satv_boot_from_usb_1.1.img or install as boot image instead than recovery.

SATV_BOOT_FROM_USB_1.1
https://goo.gl/vGosks

Format an USB Disk in EXT4

Copy inside the disk the system and vendor images, converted from sparse images to raw ext4 images. (full android or stock firmware )
You can use the tool simg2img to convert sparse images in raw ext4 images. https://github.com/KinglyWayne/simg2img_win

Copy inside the disk also the su.img to have root.
The su.img is inside the internal /data folder after you root with SuperSu. You can get it also from another arm64 device.

With fastboot, flash as recovery the file satv_boot_from_usb_1.1.img
fastboot flash recovery satv_boot_from_usb_1.1.img

Attach the usb disk to SATV and reboot to recovery to have Android TV or Full Android from the USB disk.

In case at first start the OS not start, the trick is reinstall the satv_boot_from_usb_1.1.img and reboot again to recovery
fastboot reboot

After the first inizialization, the USB disk is always bootable and you can also delete data and swap vendor and system image to have an OS or another.
If you delete the partition and format, you must do again the procedure.

Don't forget, the trick to have the disk initialized is flash 2 times the recovery.

Flash recovery
Restart but the disk not work
Flash again the recovery
Restart
The disk work

If you have question let me know.

Create and access Linux data/partitions from Windows:
https://youtu.be/uE56Ggf-tAE

This is the complate explaination but in practice is very very simple.
Format a disk in ext4, put inside 3 files and flash the recovery.
Is very simple but opens millions of scenarios.
Developer of DroidMote Server and DroidMote Client. Read the Quick Start Guides and then I'll be happy to help.
Donate with Paypal or Donate with Crypto
sharaq

Post by sharaq »

Hey zulu, thank you very much, i must say, you are doing a great job, you took the nvidia sheild to a whole new level and that too on your own.....!! well i was trying to install android tv os on a usb drive as per your guide, but i am unable to convert sparse images to raw with the tool you have suggested, i followed the instruction of how to convert from the github link you provided... it always says 'Bad Magic' in command line, any other tool that i can use or can you upload the raw images or am i missing something? thanks in advance......
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

sharaq wrote:Hey zulu, thank you very much, i must say, you are doing a great job, you took the nvidia sheild to a whole new level and that too on your own.....!! well i was trying to install android tv os on a usb drive as per your guide, but i am unable to convert sparse images to raw with the tool you have suggested, i followed the instruction of how to convert from the github link you provided... it always says 'Bad Magic' in command line, any other tool that i can use or can you upload the raw images or am i missing something? thanks in advance......
Get the stock firmware from Nvidia: https://developer.nvidia.com/shield-open-source or Full Android from here viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1580#p3030

extract the vendor.img and system.img

In windows, with the tool simg2img.exe https://github.com/KinglyWayne/simg2img_win

simg2img.exe system.img system.ext4.img

simg2img.exe vendor.img vendor.ext4.img

delete the original system.img and vendor.img and rename the new 2 files in system.img and vendor.img

get also the su.img from here https://goo.gl/Jo8mus

put the 3 files system.img vendor.img and su.img in a USB HD formatted Ext4

download the satv_boot_from_usb_1.1.img ( boot / recovery image ) from here: https://goo.gl/vGosks

flash the recovery satv_boot_from_usb_1.1.img

attach the usb disk, go in recovery to have Android TV or Full Android ( based on what you installed )

if the disk not start, you are stuck on Nvidia Logo, remove the power cable, go in fastboot and flash for the second time the recovery satv_boot_from_usb_1.1.img, after go again in recovery to have Android TV or Full Android

P.S.
To create and format a disk ext4 and copy file inside the disk from Windows
https://youtu.be/uE56Ggf-tAE
Developer of DroidMote Server and DroidMote Client. Read the Quick Start Guides and then I'll be happy to help.
sharaq

Post by sharaq »

Zulu, thank you very much for your kind reply.... i followed your steps, copied system.img, vendor.img and su.img in ext4 formatted usb drive... flashed satv_boot_from_usb_1.1.img twice... rebooted into recovery, now the screen stays on nvidia logo from the past 10 mins...... is it normal? if yes, how long will it stay like this... :D
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

sharaq wrote:Zulu, thank you very much for your kind reply.... i followed your steps, copied system.img, vendor.img and su.img in ext4 formatted usb drive... flashed satv_boot_from_usb_1.1.img twice... rebooted into recovery, now the screen stays on nvidia logo from the past 10 mins...... is it normal? if yes, how long will it stay like this... :D

the trick is reinstall for the second time the recovery satv_boot_from_usb_1.1.img, after the block on Nvidia Logo

not install 2 times the recovery consecutively

remove the cable without problems.
go in fastboot again and flash again the satv_boot_from_usb_1.1.img
go in recovery to have Android TV from usb disk

from this moment the disk is initialized and every time you go in recovery you will go in Android TV, if you have the usb disk attached.
the disk is initialized only the second time that you flash the recovery after a first attempt to boot, to understand this trick i lose a lot of time

P.S.
If you copied the 3 files in Linux, make sure that the size of this files is right.
After a copy in Linux you should do the command sync to syncronize the data.
Some times without the sync command happen that the files are not copied entirely.

Let me know.
sharaq

Post by sharaq »

yes i did the same, i think this was the fourth time...... i flashed satv_boot_from_usb_1.1.img in fastboot, reboot, booted into full android, then reboot into recovery again stayed on nvidia logo removed power cable (i repeated the same procedure 4 times), also used another usb port (just in case)... result still the same.... will try with another usb drive..... it might work... will try my luck... :)

btw

1. I have windows 10 laptop
2. formatted 16gb flash ext4 with mini partion tool
3. mounted the usb drive with paragon extFS, i found one empty folder lost+found inside
4. downloaded stock android tv os firmware from nvidia .. extracted system.img and vendor.img
5. converted system.img and vendor.img to ext4 using simg2img.exe tool
6. copied system.img, vendor.img and su.img to mounted usb drive
7. attached usb drive to nvidia shield
8. rebooted nvidia to fastboot mode
9. flashed satv_boot_from_usb_1.1.img
10. rebooted to full android
11. from full android rebooted to recovery
12. screen stayed at nvidia logo (10 mins)
13. repeated the steps from number 9 four times
14. screen still at nvidia logo :(
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

sharaq wrote:yes i did the same, i think this was the fourth time...... i flashed satv_boot_from_usb_1.1.img in fastboot, reboot, booted into full android, then reboot into recovery again stayed on nvidia logo removed power cable (i repeated the same procedure 4 times), also used another usb port (just in case)... result still the same.... will try with another usb drive..... it might work... will try my luck... :)

btw

3. mounted the usb drive with paragon extFS, i found one empty folder lost+found inside
4. downloaded stock android tv os firmware from nvidia .. extracted system.img and vendor.img
The only difference in my procedure is that i go in recovery without pass from full Android. Directly from fastboot menu of Shield TV, selecting with the power button reboot to recovery kernel.

But i think in your case is just the disk or the files not copied in the right way. I used Ubuntu to copy file and format the disk, now i try also with windows.
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

zulu99 wrote:
sharaq wrote:yes i did the same, i think this was the fourth time...... i flashed satv_boot_from_usb_1.1.img in fastboot, reboot, booted into full android, then reboot into recovery again stayed on nvidia logo removed power cable (i repeated the same procedure 4 times), also used another usb port (just in case)... result still the same.... will try with another usb drive..... it might work... will try my luck... :)

btw

The only difference in my procedure is that i go in recovery without pass from full Android. Directly from fastboot menu of Shield TV, selecting with the power button reboot to recovery kernel.

But i think in your case is just the disk or the files not copied in the right way. I used Ubuntu to copy file and format the disk, now i try also with windows.
tested, ok

Formatted the disk in Ubuntu because Parogon is slow ( but is not this the problem )
Copied files su.img system.img and vendor.img in Windows with Paragon software

Shield TV in fastboot mode with usb cable connected to PC
Usb disk attached to Shield TV
from pc: fastboot flash recovery satv_boot_from_usb_1.1.img
switch on Shield TV screen and long press with power button on Reboot Recovery Kernel, at first start Nvidia Logo
remove the cable
Go in fastboot mode again
from pc: fastboot flash recovery satv_boot_from_usb_1.1.img
switch on Shield TV screen and long press with power button on Reboot Recovery Kernel
Android Tv start

From now the disk is initialized and work forever when you go to recovery from full Android.

ATTENTION, you need an USB HD or a fast USB 3 Flash Drive.
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

Boot Android TV or Full Android from an external USB DISK AKA Dual Boot Full Android and Android TV

Step by step instructions:

1) Format an USB HD or USB 3 Flash Drive as primary Ext4 partition with Linux. You can use Gparted tool.
2) Mount the USB drive with Paragon extFS: https://www.paragon-software.com/home/extfs-windows/
3) Download stock recovery firmware from Nvidia: https://developer.nvidia.com/shield-open-source or Full Android: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1580#p3030
4) Extract system.img and vendor.img from stock recovery firmware or from full Android archive
5) Convert system.img and vendor.img to ext4 using simg2img.exe tool: https://github.com/KinglyWayne/simg2img_win
6) Download su.img from here: https://goo.gl/Jo8mus
7) Copy system.img, vendor.img and su.img to mounted usb drive
8) Attach USB drive to Nvidia Shield TV
9) Download the boot / recovery image satv_boot_from_usb_1.1.img from here: https://goo.gl/vGosks
10) Reboot Shield TV to Fastboot mode
11) Flash the satv_boot_from_usb_1.1.img as recovery with the command: fastboot flash recovery satv_boot_from_usb_1.1.img
12) Switch from PC screen to Shield TV screen and with the Shield TV power button long press on Boot Recovery Kernel
13) Shield TV will stuck on Nvidia Logo
14) After short time, if you don't see the Android boot logo, remove the power cable
15) Reboot Shield TV to Fastboot mode
16) Flash the satv_boot_from_usb_1.1.img as recovery with the command: fastboot flash recovery satv_boot_from_usb_1.1.img
17) Switch from PC screen to Shield TV screen and with the Shield TV power button long press on Boot Recovery Kernel
18) Now the Shield TV will boot well from USB and the disk will be initialized in the right way

From now on, every time you reboot in recovery mode from the main OS you will go to the second OS that is installed on the USB drive
To have DRM functionalities in apps like Netflix, you must flash the satv_boot_from_usb_1.1.img as normal boot image, but you can use Flashify app to change on Fly boot images. Like in this video: https://youtu.be/Bsrqg7EqktU