Suggestions and Improvements

Discussion about DroidMote Server for Android
Ozpeter

Re: Suggestions and Improvements

Post by Ozpeter »

Thanks for implementing named servers. However, here the search for servers always comes up "failed" and when I manually enter the ip address of the server, beneath the ip address once connected the first time it says "unknown name" even though I have given the server a name on the remote device. I am using the current version of the server and client. I'll check through other forum discussions to see whether there is a known fix for this problem.
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

Ozpeter wrote:Thanks for implementing named servers. However, here the search for servers always comes up "failed" and when I manually enter the ip address of the server, beneath the ip address once connected the first time it says "unknown name" even though I have given the server a name on the remote device. I am using the current version of the server and client. I'll check through other forum discussions to see whether there is a known fix for this problem.
what is strange is only that you receive "failed"
"unknow name" is normal without a search.

Make sure you have the last Client version and that the server is not running also on the same device.
When Client and Server run on same device, the search functionality is disabled and you have in the list the 127.0.0.1 Local Server.
When Client and Server run on same device, you can only insert the IP manually.

let me know, also what is your Client device model and android version.
Developer of DroidMote Server and DroidMote Client. Read the Quick Start Guides and then I'll be happy to help.
Donate with Paypal or Donate with Crypto
Ozpeter

Post by Ozpeter »

Thanks for your response - indeed, the problem was due to client and server running on the same device. The way I have things organised here, any device might be acting as an audio player or as a remote controller at any time, so for me, running client and server on the same devices makes sense. But clearly that spoils the search and client name system.

On the devices most likely to be servers, I'll take the client app off the home screen to remind me not to use both at once. On the devices most likely to be clients, I'll make sure the server does not autostart, and also take the server off the home screen.

Assuming that the ability to run client and server on the same device without loss of the search and name feature cannot be provided, I guess it might be possible for you to arrange for the client app to kill the server app process if the user does inadvertantly try to run both? But this is probably not an elegant way of doing things, and reading back in this forum, I seem to be the only person encountering the problem, due to my local circumstances.
Ozpeter

Post by Ozpeter »

Actually, perhaps I am "overthinking it" - once a connection has been successfully made by searching on one occasion, with the server on the connecting device off, the name remains on the connection page for future connections, regardless of whether the device being connected from also has the server running. So all I have had to do is to go round the devices making that first connection, and I'm set for the future.

I'll add one more feature request, which is the logical consequence of having server names - but that belongs in the client forum, so I will add it there.
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

Ozpeter wrote:Actually, perhaps I am "overthinking it" - once a connection has been successfully made by searching on one occasion, with the server on the connecting device off, the name remains on the connection page for future connections, regardless of whether the device being connected from also has the server running. So all I have had to do is to go round the devices making that first connection, and I'm set for the future.

I'll add one more feature request, which is the logical consequence of having server names - but that belongs in the client forum, so I will add it there.
Client and Server on same device is a valid and very useful configuration when you want use the droidmoteIME.
http://www.videomap.it/dmcguide.htm#droidmoteIME
Developer of DroidMote Server and DroidMote Client. Read the Quick Start Guides and then I'll be happy to help.
Percy

Post by Percy »

zulu99 wrote:Client and Server on same device is a valid and very useful configuration when you want use the droidmoteIME.
I totally agree with you. :)
Violation2017

Post by Violation2017 »

Something I just noticed using this. I was trying to play a game in offline mode i.e. i disconnected my internet but then the droid mote server shut down giving me a liscence unable to be verified error. had to reconnect my internet to get it back but i can not play the game i was playing while in online mode.
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

BoTiA wrote:I do not know is is possible to implement this improvement but it will be good to somehow develop solution for creation of touch profiles on client side as well in order to enable users to connect their game-pad directly on server.
I read lot of your comments on other forums regarding this proposal, e.g. issues with devices that does not have real touchscreen (like my minix NeoG4) + how to control games which somehow need additional input (which is currently enabled by quickly switching on Touch pad on your Client app, e.g. in order to start the game)....
Reason for this need is in fact that not so much phones support USB HOST function and it will be good to use our existing hardware controller for gaming as well :)

anyhow, thanks again for the good work, user support and enthusiasm,

You will get excellent feedback and 5 star rating from my side,

With touch profile creator app, you can already create touch profiles on the client device.

You can create on client or on the server, for this reason i made touch profile creator as standalone app. The result will be an xml file that is your touch profile and you can use it on the client or on the server. Naturally if you want create a touch profile for your tv box, the screenshot must be taken from the tv box and shared to the phone.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... kTajlt6TGT

DroidMote born with tv in mind, means devices without touch screen and you will find always a solution.
or maybe I did not understand your question ?