[ROM][Full Android Oreo for Shield TV][v.1.10]

Full Android Experience with NO Limits on Shield TV and Nexus Player
fredphoesh

Re: [ROM][Full Android Oreo for Shield TV][v.1.10]

Post by fredphoesh »

Hi Zulu,

Is there any rom/hack to prevent the Nvidia Shield from upsampling audio? I want to use mine for my main audio player, but unfortunately there are occasional audible "pops" (about every 2 minutes) that are ruining the listening experience. I am considering buying a cheaper box with 44.1khz output so I will not have to deal with the popping audio, but I would prefer to keep my Shield for the occasion I play games, and also it is fast for Kodi's interface.

Thanks,
Mark.
kaileshm

Post by kaileshm »

Hi zulu99, I did some more testing last night, and here is what's happening...

When a video chat session is initiated or received on the Nvidia box the connection is made and within seconds the app and system freezes and the droidmote controller button taps have no effect even though the cursor is still responsive, and if the Nvidia box is left in this frozen state for 2-3 minutes it will reboot system. However I just learnt that if before it auto-reboots, from this frozen app/system state, I unplug and re-plug the webcam's USB cable (either same port or the second port) on the Shield TV 2017 box, then the webcam active light-indicator on the webcam comes one, the chat-session/app/system unfreezes and the video chat session starts working fine - even if you minimise app and go to home or use other apps and return back to app session. When the video chat session is ended and another one started (instantly without closing app, or after closing app and re-opening - with or without re-booting, the same situation and resolution (unplugging and re-plugging webcam's USB cable during each call session) is required for a video chat session to resume normally.

All permissions for the app (including camera) are granted when the app is installed and verified when checking system, video calling is enabled and camera icon set to on within app prior to the call session and during the call.

I've used both a Logitech C920 (HD 1080p) and also a Logitech BRIO (UHD 4K) webcam - both connected directly and not via USB hubs, both support UVC, and tried the latest versions of Skype and Zoom apps - and its the same situation. When I re-plug the webcam's USB cable during the frozen session, Zoom prompts again for permission to be granted for the app to use this USB device - with the pop-up prompt using the actual words "use this USB device" with options for "always" not making any difference when a new Zoom app video chat session is started in any scenario (relaunching app or not - and with or without re-booting), whereas the Skype video chat session has no pop-up windows/prompts to (re-)grant app/device permissions and just starts working (until chat session ended).

Setting the Nvidia USB settings (USB 3.0 ports on Shield 2017) in TV/Stock System menu (no such option on pure Android System Settings options) to Auto or Maximum Performance or Compatible settings, also made no difference. With BRIO webcam supporting USB 3.0 and C920 using USB 2.0.

I will buy and connect via USB hub, also buy and try connecting webcam via USB>Wi-Fi gadget, also buy and try connecting webcam via USB>Ethernet adapter and Ethernet hub gadget, and also try older versions of Skype - and also let you know if any of that makes a difference, and if the first two options will even be supported by video chat apps.

I need to try and setup Skype, as that currently supports auto-answering of incoming calls (also for accessibility features) from other family members and relatives for my mum with early-mid stage Alzheimer's, with TV and Nvidia box left on through day time, even with content/TV from Nvidia (only source for Live and On-demand TV) being watched.

But based on all of above, is there a setting in one of the Shield TV and Android configuration files (left over stock file or one of the pure OS files) with your ROM that can be edited and set to prevent the USB ports from being switched off when a webcam is detected and trying to be used at the start of any video chat session. It seems to be a USB port type setting and when a webcam connected to port is actively trying to be used in a video chat session that Nvidia has pre-programmed to manipulate?

Your urgent thoughts and help with this will sincerely be appreciated. Thanks, K.
milkybar1983

Post by milkybar1983 »

help please, clean install of 1.10 over 7.2.3 using instructions gives me this with fastboot -w command:

C:\platform-tools>fastboot -w
Couldn't parse erase-block-size '0xUnknown var!'.
Couldn't parse logical-block-size '0xUnknown var!'.
mke2fs 1.44.3 (10-July-2018)
Creating filesystem with 2985571 4k blocks and 747776 inodes
Filesystem UUID: 9f056616-4275-11e9-b198-452f07b972e4
Superblock backups stored on blocks:
32768, 98304, 163840, 229376, 294912, 819200, 884736, 1605632, 2654208

Allocating group tables: done
Writing inode tables: done
Creating journal (16384 blocks): done
Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done

Creating filesystem with 65536 4k blocks and 65536 inodes
Filesystem UUID: 9f1e7084-4275-11e9-b2ae-af720a68f2a9

Creating journal (4096 blocks): done

Erase successful, but not automatically formatting.
File system type No partition present with this name. not supported.
Erasing 'userdata' OKAY [ 6.471s]
Sending 'userdata' (3040 KB) OKAY [ 0.116s]
Writing 'userdata' OKAY [ 0.186s]
Erasing 'cache' OKAY [ 0.076s]
Sending 'cache' (120 KB) OKAY [ 0.026s]
Writing 'cache' OKAY [ 0.029s]
Erasing 'metadata' FAILED (remote: 'No partition present with this name.')
Finished. Total time: 7.309s
kaileshm

Post by kaileshm »

Hi Zulu99 / anyone,

Tried using Gigabit Ethernet to USB adapter (with the webcam connected to the latter) but only got video incoming (i.e. not outgoing video from my webcam - same with both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 webcam models) - buying a USB Type-C (3.1) multi-type Hub with connection via Type-C (3.1) to Type-A (3.0) on Shield TV 2017 box and Type-A (3.0) 4K webcam connection to Hub via adapter to Thunderbolt 3 (Type-C) port (to test this scenario) and also via Type-A (3.0) direct port on Hub - to see if this route for webcam connection can overcome what the firmware on the Shield TV is doing to interfere when webcam's are used through USB 3.0 port. Other options to try are aggregated Wi-Fi connection (to approach USB 3.0's 5Gbps theoretical - for 4K video chat streaming) with a Wi-Fi bridge/router device or hub that also has a USB 3.0 port to plug the 4K webcam into - but this might not be worth it due to £100+ cost for such Wi-Fi hub (and may not even work for non-IP based webcam - but one that is expected to be connected via USB 3.0 cable to computer). And also tried installing and running video chat with multiple earlier versions of Skype form 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018 - but video chat still did not work....

.... really hope you can fix quickly with some simple setting to edit and set in some system file.... I only purchased the Shield TV box recently and once due to finding out about your ROM that mentioned webcam support... as this box/setup was fo my elderly parents so that they can:

- legally subscribe to and stream SD/HD/UHD: UK Live TV (with DVB-S2 Freesat (otherwise DVB-T2 Freeview HD) Europe/UK HD USB tuner integration via TVHeadend + Live Channels running on Shield TV box), international live sports (cricket), and on-demand native foreign content - news - shows - series - and movies

- search and watch stuff on youtube

- use the box as a smart home hub - for their convenience and safety - connected smart smoke/fire alarms, smart door lock (for mum with Alzheimer's - who has started leaving the front door open when going out and about locally) and door video bell, etc

- running the GPS tracking app linked to the device embedded in her clothing - in case mum goes out alone locally but gets confused and lost due to memory/Alzheimer's - and to allow her to keep her freedom but keep safe, with zonal fencing alerts

- mum playing some simple super-easy-toddler games to keep her brain active - ideally some hands-free voice interaction ones if they exist

- enabling 4K video chat form sofa with auto-connect/start session for incoming sessions (and voice assistant Google/Alexa control and calling - as well as for all of above) through Shield TV w/Wide Angle 4K webcam + lounge TV, with other family, relatives, and friends - local and remote - for interaction (although UK ones should visit in person more) and safety-check-ins

... and all of the above processes running together in the background - especially the last - e.g. incoming video call auto-answered/started and taking over screen, say when watching stream Live TV, etc.

...and if we can't get the webcam working, that will be a massive shame, and I'll have to revert and resent to stock, and sell the Shield Tv 2017 kit on ebay, and buy and set it all up again on a generic pure android box

....please help urgently if you can, cheers, K.
Lenana

Post by Lenana »

milkybar1983 wrote:help please, clean install of 1.10 over 7.2.3 using instructions gives me this with fastboot -w command:

C:\platform-tools>fastboot -w
Creating filesystem with 2985571 4k blocks and 747776 inodes
Filesystem UUID: 9f056616-4275-11e9-b198-452f07b972e4
32768, 98304, 163840, 229376, 294912, 819200, 884736, 1605632, 2654208

Creating journal (16384 blocks): done

Creating filesystem with 65536 4k blocks and 65536 inodes
Filesystem UUID: 9f1e7084-4275-11e9-b2ae-af720a68f2a9

Creating journal (4096 blocks): done

Erase successful, but not automatically formatting.
File system type No partition present with this name. not supported.
Erasing 'userdata' OKAY [ 6.471s]
Sending 'userdata' (3040 KB) OKAY [ 0.116s]
Writing 'userdata' OKAY [ 0.186s]
Erasing 'cache' OKAY [ 0.076s]
Sending 'cache' (120 KB) OKAY [ 0.026s]
Writing 'cache' OKAY [ 0.029s]
Erasing 'metadata' FAILED (remote: 'No partition present with this name.')
Finished. Total time: 7.309s
Sorry about your predicament. You flashed 1.10 over 7.2.3 firmware instead of 7.2.2. Perhaps you'll need to wait for the next release of full android (1.11 maybe) after official release of Nvidia 7.2.3 update.
milkybar1983

Post by milkybar1983 »

it boots OK but I'm having serious issues streaming 4k from nas which was working perfectly before this (I have tried kodi/vlc/MRMC)
kaileshm

Post by kaileshm »

Hi zulu99, if you feel there is no vital quick fix to this webcam operation issue with your ROM - i.e. a system file setting variable edit that simply needs to be made, then please just reply yes/no to me, as I need to URGENTLY resolve and sort out video-chat - through lounge TV - while elderly parent's are watching TV content through streaming box, and if you answer no, then I need to urgently reset box, get what ever money I can on ebay for it (being an item that was purchased a few weeks ago specifically because I came across your v1.10 ROM post first - where you stated webcam support), and then use the funds from the sale to source and get just a cheap/likely-inferior generic Chinese import pure Android box, and set all that up again with the apps/services. And you'ld need to remove webcam support mention from your v1.10 ROM post, to help others too - who might be thinking of buying the Shield TV too based on your ROM. Please reply promptly - public or private post/email. Thanks, K.
milkybar1983

Post by milkybar1983 »

7.2.3 is being pushed to everyone now btw, not that it will fox these network issues I'm having
kaileshm

Post by kaileshm »

Hi Zulu99, an alternative, can you provide a ROM that is 100% Pure Android (not with TV OS hybrid) but one that will take full advantage of the Nvidia Tegra hardware and a/v processing chipsets - or is there one I can already use (e.g. Tegra-based firmwares/ROMS that were released by Nvidia for tablets, etc for other big brands/models of devices - I think Huawei, Sony, had some ?

As, re. content services, my parent's won't be using Netflix, Prime, etc - but only legally subscribing to South Indian HD/4K content providers (ZEE5 and ErosNOW) and HD/4K sports from NOW TV passes and ESPN. And re. UK Live HD/4K TV using a DVB-S2 tuner connected to Nvidia box - configuring TVHeadend, using Live Channels app/interface - to get UK FreeSat HD channels.

The pure OS firmware should mean that video chat works without issues - as its just seen as a tablet device 100%.

Please reply urgently. Thanks, K.
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

i will work in future on the new 7.2.3 update. with calm.....

But you must know that all firmwares 7.2.x are compatible. this menas that you can install fulll android 1.10 also over the 7.2.3

Just flash boot, system and vendor with fastoboot and erase user data with the command fastboot -w

We have always an old Android 8 firmware and the changes between a firmware and another made by Nvidia are few and usually Nvidia correct a problem and add another.

My suggestion for the future is:

Buy a good Intel X64 box, instal on it Linux and do everything you want without be a slave of corporations like Google and Nvidia.

An OS where the owner can't have system permissions is just a money machine invented to steal your money.

Today the only OS where you are really the owner is LINUX.

Today i use only boxes with Linux on all TV in my house, but i will still continue support the shield tv when i have time.

When i want play android games on a big screen i found this other solution that work very well. just using my phone.
https://youtu.be/L4Iqq9_PmfU
Developer of DroidMote Server and DroidMote Client. Read the Quick Start Guides and then I'll be happy to help.
Donate with Paypal or Donate with Crypto