[ROM][Full Android Oreo for Shield TV][v.1.10]

Full Android Experience with NO Limits on Shield TV and Nexus Player
Lenana

Re: [ROM][Full Android Oreo for Shield TV][v.1.10]

Post by Lenana »

reminon wrote:Alright. Having issues with installing this firmware on my 2017 Darcy. Started on 7.2.2, performed a factory reset, reinstalled 7.2.2, rebooted into fastboot via "adb reboot bootloader", flashed your system.img, flashed your patched boot.img "for Darcy", and flashed the modified DTB. All of that flashed fine.

Then I ran "fastboot -w" and I get this output:
"wiping userdata...
Couldn't parse erase-block-size '0xUnknown var!'.
Couldn't parse logical-block-size '0xUnknown var!'.
CreateProcess failed: The system cannot find the file specified. (2)
error: Cannot generate image for userdata"

Not knowing what else I could do, I used fastboot reboot, and it bootloops on the shapes animation that eventually turn into "android". I've been waiting on this screen for about 20 minutes now. I know from past rooting adventures on other devices, that custom roms can take a while to boot on first boot, but i just want to make sure this is normal with your rom.
@zulu99 I have encoutered this too on my 2017 shield pro. I installed 1.10 on 7.2.3 and I am currently stuck on Nvidia logo I flashed proper magisk boot-system-vendor and fastboot -w which took ages (I wasn't able to fastboot the recovery image). What do I do to fix it?
Lenana

Post by Lenana »

After a whole sleepless night trying to install v1.10, this is what I have learnt.

1. 2017 SATV Pro 2017 boots to fastboot via micro usb and power button

2. Running command fastboot -w results in errors and stuck nvidia logo when booting.

3. Avoiding fastboot -w the rom will go past logo but get stuck on android boot animation. Below is the string of errors from fastboot -w command

PS C:\platform-tools> fastboot -w
mke2fs 1.44.3 (10-July-2018)
Creating filesystem with 121234158 4k blocks and 30310400 inodes
Filesystem UUID: c431ff88-4957-11e9-a01a-1b20d7812794
Superblock backups stored on blocks:
32768, 98304, 163840, 229376, 294912, 819200, 884736, 1605632, 2654208,
4096000, 7962624, 11239424, 20480000, 23887872, 71663616, 78675968,

Allocating group tables: done
Writing inode tables: done
Creating journal (262144 blocks): done
Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done

mke2fs 1.44.3 (10-July-2018)
Creating filesystem with 65536 4k blocks and 65536 inodes
Filesystem UUID: c4b7eac6-4957-11e9-960e-0fd632664e6e
Superblock backups stored on blocks:

Allocating group tables: done
Writing inode tables: done
Creating journal (4096 blocks): done
Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done

Erase successful, but not automatically formatting.
File system type No partition present with this name. not supported.
Erasing 'userdata'

4. Booting or flashing twrp does not work.
In short I coudnt get the rom to work on SATV PRO 2017, I reflashed stock firmware and still wont boot, just loops to fastboot.
Any help will be much appreciated as stock has random reboot issue that Nvidia are unable to fix.
ChillyWhilly

Post by ChillyWhilly »

Hello Zulu99, I have rooted stock 7.2.3 with Magisk and your modified dtb. The shield boots and all seems fine except Wifi is broken. I have had the same experience with 2 units. Will there need to be a new dtb file created? Wifi works until flashing the patched boot,img and dtb file.

Thank you for your excellent work, I have been a DroidMote user for over a year and have also been using the modified dtb file good success until today.
Lenana

Post by Lenana »

No support, anyone? :(
Sealwolfy

Post by Sealwolfy »

I had this same error awhile back and didn't get any help. I doubt you will. I even update fastboot binary from Google.

"wiping userdata...
CreateProcess failed: The system cannot find the file specified. (2)
error: Cannot generate image for userdata"
Rebel_X

Post by Rebel_X »

I just want to share my experience with all of you. If anyone gets UI Force Close when trying to accept permission, then more than likely the cause is an app that uses the Accessibility to draw over other apps, this happened to me when I installed a third party NAV BAR apps and enabled them in the accessibility.

Disabling the original NavBar that comes with the ROM doesn't cause the issue, but any other NavBar apps will do that. Some NavBar apps will not even allow you to tap on Accept or Deny when the prompt appears.

Another thing I want to share, my main reason for using custom roms is the ability to disable Ads. And YouTube AdAway for some unknown reason it forces close YouTube app in the Oreo ROM. I have 2 Shield TVs 2017 16GB. Both have Magisk and Xposed Framwork. One is Nougat is running YouTube AdAway v4.3.2 and Youtube v13.12.60 -> These are the only versions that work really without any advertisements. The other Shield TV which I use with Oreo, the same versions of apps I use on Nougat yields an endless force close of YouTube app. I downloaded a custom build of YouTube AdAway v4.3.5 from Github (in one of the issues, a contributor built a custom apk with a fix -not official-), it works fine with the same YouTube v13.12.60.

I don't really care about using newer version of YouTube as long as all ads are removed, and I don't like the idea of using YouTube Vance that can be downloaded from Magisk. But that is just me.

I hope this information can help somebody here.
Rebel_X

Post by Rebel_X »

@Lenana did you rung PowerShell as admin? Try to run Command Prompt as admin instead!

Also, my suggestion is to start all over, go back to stock and do fastboot -w before flashing system vendor boot ..etc!
And do Fastboot -w after flashing and before rebooting. For Adb and Fastboot, I used the 15 second installer on XDA which is a few years old and works fine.

If for some odd reason you can't boot into bootloader using A+B on controller anymore due to mismatching bootloader being flashed (happened to me, and was mentioned in GeForce forums), then what works for me is a keyboard with USB dongle / or wired, push A+B keys after 4-5 seconds of plugging the AC Adapter to the power outlet, if timed correctly, it should bring you to bootloader.
Lenana

Post by Lenana »

@sealwolfy @Rebel_X thanks for the feedback, I highly appreciate.
Well I tried to flash full android 3 times to no avail, I get endless android splash screen. @Rebel_X no I didn't run powershell as admin, but how comes it works for other android devices and also flashing stock nvidia images? If I do try to install full android again I will use powershell as admin. The A+B method does not work for SATV Pro 2017, I tried. In stead you have to plug in micro USB cable from PC, plug power cord and allowing 2 sec before long pressing power button on shield.
I am one of those users who have the 500gb hdd replaced with ssd on the pro model. So after bricking my device trying to install the rom I had to remove the ssd and clone data on it from original hdd sitting in a drawer. I got my shied back to firmware 6.3 and then flashed 7.2.3 developer image. I honestly think the current version of full android 1.10 does not support new SATV pro 2017 devices.
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

I made another useful companion app for DroidMote.
KMRedirect
Play with Mouse and Keyboard of your PC while mirror your Android device:
(Phone / Tablet / Android box)

The mirroring of an Android device to PC became always better and there are many tools to do this. SCRCPY is open source and work very well via USB3. When you mirror the screen of the phone to PC and you want use the Keyboard and Mouse of the PC on the Android device, you can use my tool KMRedirect. With KMRedirect on PC, the Keyboard and Mouse can also be trasformed in an hardware controller on the remote device with the F2 key, in this way, when you have the droidmoteIME enabled on Android ( droidmote client and server on same device), you can play Multi Touch games and games that require a controller with the Mouse and Keyboard of the PC.

KMRedirect download:
https://www.videomap.it/download.htm

P.S.
If you are thinking why we need also the CTRL key to switch mouse mode, the response is that the CTRL key is like the PLAY / STAR button on an hardware controller, permit you to select the touch mouse, touch profiles and other things like with an hardware controller.
The main functionality is that you can switch also to the touch mouse that is very important for some games that not support mouse to press on buttons and you can do this actions only with the touch mouse.
Developer of DroidMote Server and DroidMote Client. Read the Quick Start Guides and then I'll be happy to help.
Donate with Paypal or Donate with Crypto
kaileshm

Post by kaileshm »

Hi zulu99 / anyone, will this ROM enable the Shield TV 2017 16GB box to work with ANY DVB-S2 (Freesat HD) tuner connected via USB port?

Where I'm thinking of the DVBSKy S960 DVB-S/S2 USB tuner product (http://www.dvbsky.net/Products_S960.html), which is well supported by TVHeadEnd server app for Linux and Android, which in turn can support Live Channels app via the TVHeadEnd for Live Channels utility app

...because stock version doesn't currently support any DVB-S/S2 tuners, and only supports two models of DVB-T/T2 (Aerial/Freeview HD - which I don't get good reception for in local area) tuners by Happauge and Tablo (re-brand of former and only for US)

Thanks, K.