[ROM][Full Android Oreo for Shield TV][v.1.10]

Full Android Experience with NO Limits on Shield TV and Nexus Player
Quietsch

Re: [ROM][Full Android Oreo for Shield TV][v.1.10]

Post by Quietsch »

Zulu99, did i understand you right, i have only to flash the new system partitition to have a working full android ?
fastboot flash system system-arm64-ab-gapps-su.img
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

Quietsch wrote:Zulu99, did i understand you right, i have only to flash the new system partitition to have a working full android ?
fastboot flash system system-arm64-ab-gapps-su.img
YES. for the 2015 model only for now.

but with the time, i want create a system image more suitable for shield tv. just few changes

anyway to have a betetr result, after the first start, change the dpi in build.prop inside vendor folder from 320 to 240

system-arm64-ab-gapps-su
this is good because is also pre-rooted, otherwise Magisk seems to be neither compatible with the stock Android TV.
Developer of DroidMote Server and DroidMote Client. Read the Quick Start Guides and then I'll be happy to help.
Donate with Paypal or Donate with Crypto
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

The work for full Android PIE is progressing well, I found the right direction.
But since everything has changed with PIE, it will take a few more days.

About Magisk:
Magisk not work on Shield Android TV PIE because in PIE you don't have ramdisk inside boot image. PIE have system_as_root partition layout. The developer of Magisk, for Android devices that born with Android version < pie, like the Shield TV, install the magisk in the recovery and if you need root, you must start the phone / device from recovery with power and volume button. Have Magisk in recovery, clearly is not a good solution for tv boxes because is not pratical enter recovery mode every time you power on the box. The forced solution will be to have a pre-rooted firmware.

In the next full Android firmware, DroidMote Server will work also without root permissions, in case you want hide / disable completly root because some apps force you in this direction.

If you have others ideas or questions, let me know.
Developer of DroidMote Server and DroidMote Client. Read the Quick Start Guides and then I'll be happy to help.
Rebel_X

Post by Rebel_X »

Have you tried Maisk canary builds? I think topjohnwu is working on system-as-root option for the next Magisk 19.4.

That aside, I have question since you are more knowledgable about Android systems and linux than me.

I have a problem with Nvidia Share Gamecast service that if I try to run in in the middle of a gameplay in (Tomb Raider, MGS2, MGS3, MGS Rising...etc)
The game minimizes and the Nvidia Share Gamecast Window appear!!! It literally closes the game. It used to work fine in Nougat.

Nvidia Share (run when holding home button) is enabled in the System settings for the Settings app that is part of the Shield.

I was able to run Gamecast service by creating a shortcut or even assign it to the home button when doing long press,
on the controller using Button Mapper app, I even created a shortcut on the launcher, navigation bar icon of Gamecast
to request the activity to start. Also, I got the Gamecast shortcut app from Play Store (paid app) to call the gamecast menu.
Still same problem.

The question is, is there a way to run an App without closing the foreground app using ADB or root commands? I am trying to run the Gamecast app, activity without closing the foreground app (Game), I have been trying for the past day, searched the internet high and low. To no avail

Would long pressing HOME button in the upcoming PIE make it work like in Nougat?? Recording in the middle of gameplay is essential and one of the main reasons I bought the Shield in the first place. I know it works fine in the Stock rom. So there must be a solution!

Thank you in advance, I await your response.
Grigori

Post by Grigori »

What am I doing wrong?
Rebel_X

Post by Rebel_X »

Did you erase the system partition using fastboot erase system?
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

Sorry to all if i not respond all questions, but i'm working very hard on full Android PIE

I have a woking version right now and i'm testing.

I want preannunce that the new firmware will be based on Lineage OS 16 latest version. ( on top of this i add the necessary things for Shield TV )

In this firmware i'm working by compiling the source code for the system partition.

In the next firmware, i want share only the system image, so everyone can run his stock vendor partition and kernel. Since the firmware is also more recent than the stock Nvidia firmware, when Nvidia will update, we can install only the new vendor and boot image (kernel).

Mainly this new firmware is a treble GSI image that can adapt also on future Nvidia updates. The vendor and boot images contain the drivers and the kernel made by Nvidia, while the system image will be full Android.

For the 2017 model, i must found a way to disable dm-verity otherwise only firmware signed by Nvidia can work.
For now i'm testing full Android PIE on 2015 model.

From the first tests, i can say that this firmware is very fast and stable in all parts. It is really pure Android without Nvidia additions inside.
Is also more simple to install since we can install only the system partition and when we want we can reinstall Android TV simply installing another system partition.
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

As i imagined, installing as base the Nvidia developer firmware and installing on top of it just the full android system image, Full Android PIE work also on the 2017 Shield TV model.

So Full Android PIE systemn image work on all current Shield TV models right now.

Some others tests and after i will publish.
Chaozine

Post by Chaozine »

I can't wait to taste the PIE. Thanks @zulu99.
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

Chaozine wrote:I can't wait to taste the PIE. Thanks @zulu99.
PIE is out on his dedicated new topic