[ROM][Full Android Marshmallow for Shield TV][v.1.5]

Full Android Experience with NO Limits on Shield TV and Nexus Player
gtj

Re: [ROM][Full Android Marshmallow for Shield TV][v.1.5]

Post by gtj »

Unfortunately, it seems I have messed my device...
I tried to flash 5.01 recovery image before flashing Android 7.0 as per instructions.
For that I downloaded ''NVIDIA SHIELD TV 2017 Recovery OS Image 5.0.1'', followed the flashing instructions and now the device won't boot and won't show anything on screen.

I own the 1st gen Nvidia Shield TV. I don't know if I used the wrong recovery image? I'm also unable to enter fastboot mode. Seems I have bricked this thing.
n2outlaw

Post by n2outlaw »

zulu99 wrote:about the google play store update, also to me happen today. update of wrong tv version.

and for now i updated the buil.prop of system and vendor folders with the word full_foster_e instead of foster_e
uninstall the garbage google play store app for tv and installed the last normal version from apkmirror.com

i want say that this is a momentary problem ( that we can solve easly )
If you have the original name foster_e, this happen only when the tv verion have the same version number or greater than the normal google play version.

but usually the normal google play version have always a version number greater than TV version.
But Google is happy when can breack the balls :)

however for now i have full_foster_e but in short time i return to foster_e so Google can't understand that we run full android and not android tv. Otherwise he can add others limitations.
Hey Zulu99, I see the new Shield Hub app has been updated to Nvidia Games and now I was unable to use GeForce Now because it stop showing up in the menu. Is there a work around for this because Google Play Store needs full_foster_e and the new Nvidia Games app needs foster_e?

This was tested on 2015 Marshmallow Full Android OS 1.5 and 2017 Nougat Full Android OS 1.1

BuildProp full_foster_e

BuildProp foster_e
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

n2outlaw wrote:
zulu99 wrote:about the google play store update, also to me happen today. update of wrong tv version.

and for now i updated the buil.prop of system and vendor folders with the word full_foster_e instead of foster_e
uninstall the garbage google play store app for tv and installed the last normal version from apkmirror.com

i want say that this is a momentary problem ( that we can solve easly )
If you have the original name foster_e, this happen only when the tv verion have the same version number or greater than the normal google play version.

but usually the normal google play version have always a version number greater than TV version.
But Google is happy when can breack the balls :)

however for now i have full_foster_e but in short time i return to foster_e so Google can't understand that we run full android and not android tv. Otherwise he can add others limitations.
Hey Zulu99, I see the new Shield Hub app has been updated to Nvidia Games and now I was unable to use GeForce Now because it stop showing up in the menu. Is there a work around for this because Google Play Store needs full_foster_e and the new Nvidia Games app needs foster_e?

This was tested on 2015 Marshmallow Full Android OS 1.5 and 2017 Nougat Full Android OS 1.1

BuildProp full_foster_e

BuildProp foster_e
foster_e in build.prop solve
Gamestream check this value in build.prop and if not present gamestream disappear from menu.
Is normal and already explained in the past.

By default we use full_foster_e to have one firmware for all SATV model and to avoid bad google play updates at first seup of the firmware.

After the first setup, if you change full_foster_e in build.prop, for Google Play, in case of incorrect update to TV version, Now you should be able to uninstall the update and install the good apk from apkmirror.com. ( two minutes, when and if happen )
Developer of DroidMote Server and DroidMote Client. Read the Quick Start Guides and then I'll be happy to help.
Donate with Paypal or Donate with Crypto
n2outlaw

Post by n2outlaw »

zulu99 wrote:foster_e in build.prop solve

for Google Play, in case of incorrect update to TV vetsion, Now you should be able to uninstall the update and ijstall the good apk from google play. ( two minutes every, when and if happen )
I guess I was hoping you knew of away to use two build.prop, one for play store and the other for apps or a app/trick to tricking apps in thinking that.
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

n2outlaw wrote:
zulu99 wrote:foster_e in build.prop solve

for Google Play, in case of incorrect update to TV vetsion, Now you should be able to uninstall the update and ijstall the good apk from apkmirror.com. ( two minutes every, when and if happen )
I guess I was hoping you knew of away to use two build.prop, one for play store and the other for apps or a app/trick to tricking apps in thinking that.
is more simple if Nvidia remove this restriction from the app and google not update the google play only reading the name of the device that generally can be spoofed. Usually google read others things to update the google play, but only for Shield TV use this just to breack balls.
Developer of DroidMote Server and DroidMote Client. Read the Quick Start Guides and then I'll be happy to help.
Donate with Paypal or Donate with Crypto
gtj

Post by gtj »

Anyone has any idea on how to unbrick a Shied TV before I send my device out to nvidia for a paid repair? (if they do repairs which I seriously doubt)
n2outlaw

Post by n2outlaw »

gtj wrote:Anyone has any idea on how to unbrick a Shied TV before I send my device out to nvidia for a paid repair? (if they do repairs which I seriously doubt)
I buy broken ones (us only) but you could use someone else receipt of purchase as long as it's still in the 1yr warranty and they never used it because different serial numbers on file now.

If you can boot into fastboot mode. Just install everything from the ota:

adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash staging blob
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot reboot
adb wait-for-device (if it gets stuck, wait about 10min and unplug and plug back in power cord)
adb reboot bootloader (if the above happen, hold power botton and plug in power cable to get back into fastboot mode)
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash vendor vendor.img
fastboot reboot
Last edited by n2outlaw on Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gtj

Post by gtj »

n2outlaw wrote:
gtj wrote:Anyone has any idea on how to unbrick a Shied TV before I send my device out to nvidia for a paid repair? (if they do repairs which I seriously doubt)
I buy broken ones (us only) but you could use someone else receipt of purchase as long as it's still in the 1yr warranty and they never used it because different serial numbers on file now.

If you can boot into fastboot mode. Just install everything from the ota:

adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash staging blob
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot reboot
adb wait-for-device (if it gets stuck, wait about 10min and unplug and replug in)
adb reboot bootloader (if the above happen, use hold power botton when plugged it to get back to fastboot mode)
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash vendor vendor.img
fastboot reboot
Thanks for your response, offer and help but I'm in the UK.

Unfortunately, there's no hdmi output at all as well as no fastboot mode. This is bricked for good...
I hope they do repair the devices and their service does not stop only in items under warranty.
n2outlaw

Post by n2outlaw »

gtj wrote:Thanks for your response, offer and help but I'm in the UK.

Unfortunately, there's no hdmi output at all as well as no fastboot mode. This is bricked for good...
I hope they do repair the devices and their service does not stop only in items under warranty.
Find a friend that bought one within the 1yr and use their receipt.

Nvidia is a pain on returns. I've returned about 2 of them out of warranty for free and getting ready to do another one.
gtj

Post by gtj »

n2outlaw wrote:
gtj wrote:Thanks for your response, offer and help but I'm in the UK.

Find a friend that bought one within the 1yr and use their receipt.

Nvidia is a pain on returns. I've returned about 2 of them out of warranty for free and getting ready to do another one.
Difficult to find someone with a 1st gen. The warranty period in the EU is 2 years as opposed to 1 in the US but I still don't have the original receipt which was from a highstreet shop and not through an internet buy.
Thanks nyway