[ROM][AOSP][Full Android Marshmallow for Nexus Player][v.1.3]

Full Android Experience with NO Limits on Shield TV and Nexus Player
zulu99
Site Admin

[ROM][AOSP][Full Android Marshmallow for Nexus Player][v.1.3]

Post by zulu99 »

AOSP Full Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow for Nexus Player.

Full Android 6.0.1 v.1.3

Android in TV is not just movies and songs but also millions of apps and games.
Full Android firmware want be full Android Experience with NO Limits.
With Android you can run all standard Google Play apps and also apps made specifically for Android TV.

For the best interaction with Android from your couch i suggest DroidMote, because with DroidMote multi-touch is not a problem on TV.

Take a look here to understand why Android on TV is better than Android TV:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... B9D757086B

What's inside ?

Kernel:
NTFS, NFS/CIFS/F2FS Filesystem support
USB Webcam support & USB Audio
ExFat support
Vpn support

Firmware:
Full AOSP firmware with standard Android Launchers. Android 6.0.1 MMB29T
Compatibility with many more apps with the classic Google Play Store ( ..Google Plus, Youtube, Chrome, Gmail, Hangout, Skype, Maps etc. etc. )
MTP + ADB (transfer file from NP to PC via usb cable like your tablet/phone)
Unlocked fixed Volume (now you can use any remote to UP/DOWN/MUTE volume)
ExFat and NTFS disk support in kernel. You can use this disks via stickmount app
Full vpn support, android native and with apps.
Bluetooth a2dp external headsets and speakers support
UVC Webcam video HAL
(tested with Logitech C525 for video call in Hangout and Spype)
Arm translation to be compatibile with arm-only apps. Like Netflix and Skype
Support external microphone from usb webcam.
(tested with Logitech C525 for voice call in hangout and skype, voice search in google now, sound recording )
Chromecast functionality

What not working and i'm working on ?
Google camera app can crash. The HAL for the usb webcam is experimental but you can do all, videocall, take photo and record videos with the appropiate app.

Installation:

Download the firmware from this link: https://goo.gl/Rj4EqL

Put the device in fastboot mode:

1) fastboot flash boot boot.img
2) fastboot flash system system.img
3) fastboot -w

To root you can download the last BETA-SuperSU-v2.66+ and install with TWRP recovery:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/su ... w-t3219344
http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-p ... y-t3114717

To restore the original firmware you can use the Factory Images "fugu" for Nexus Player https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

Note:
The remote that came with the Nexus Player will pair and work with this ROM, however it is not sufficient so please refrain from asking questions in this thread about it. I recommend using DroidMote or an hardware keyboard/mouse for realistic functionality. Only directional keys are not sufficient for a full version of Android. I love Android in TV and i use it from 3 years with many Android Tv Box. I made this firmware for my personal use, because i like Android with standard apps UI, that are more accessible, updated and fast. I like a customizable launcher, but specially i don't like imposed limitations made just to protect economic interests of few.

Kernel source code: https://android.googlesource.com/kernel/x86_64/

Changelog:

V.1.3
Based on Android 6.0.1 MMB29T
fix vpn
fix webcam in hangouts

V.1.2
Based on Android 6.0.1 MMB29M

V.1.1
Fixed Live Wallpaper
Updated some vendor libs from stock firmware
Developer of DroidMote Server and DroidMote Client. Read the Quick Start Guides and then I'll be happy to help.
Donate with Paypal or Donate with Crypto
zulu99
Site Admin

Re: [ROM][Full Android Marshmallow for Nexus Player][v.1.3]

Post by zulu99 »

GENERAL INFOS
Netflix in High resolution quality:
To have Netflix in High resolution quality, install the Android TV version https://www.apkmirror.com/?s=netflix&po ... =apps_post, login the first time and after cast your preferred show from your phone. The best and more simple way.
You can use also the standard app but the quality is SD.

Full Screen with Xposed:
You can download the last xposed framework for Marshmallow sdk23 x86:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=3034811
You can use GravityBox for Marshmallow
You can use App Settings for Marshmallow, this 1.13 version: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpos ... count=2040

You can run Leanback-Only apps with a standard Launcher in this way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMqz8e33oq8

If you need the Leanback launcher with mouse support:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0uFJWIcIXM

If you need Skype for the moment download and install this version:
https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/skype/sky ... -download/

For the best performances:
In developer options set the 3 Animations scale to 0.5 and reboot.
Developer of DroidMote Server and DroidMote Client. Read the Quick Start Guides and then I'll be happy to help.
zulu99
Site Admin

Re: [ROM][AOSP][Full Android Marshmallow for Nexus Player][v.1.3]

Post by zulu99 »

Root Android Nougat on Nexus Player

Google in every new build of Android TV introduce new impositions and limitations. I'm warning you about this from two years, and my words correspond to facts. Android TV is just an advanced DVD player made to make money. More restrictions there are, the easier it is to sell the services of large companies, spy your data, force you in some directions and control the market.

In the developer preview 3, Google changed the system partition from ext4 to squashfs.
SquashFS is a file system READ ONLY, also if you have root you can't write to the system partition. To change things inside the system partition you must create a new image and flash the entire image with fastboot. ( i don't know if is a definitive thing or not )

However, since TWRP recovery and Supersu are not programmed to support squashfs file system for now ( today 20/05/2016 ) you can't install SuperSu with TWRP., despite SuperSu can install also a system less root.

But if you are like me, that i never tested a new version of Android without root, you can root with the below trick.

1) Install the Android N preview 3

2) Don't let the OS boot completely

3) Go in fastboot again and flash the last twrp recovery for Nexus Player

4) Go in fastboot again and flash only a previous system.img ( you can use also the full Android system.img )

5) Go in TWRP recovery and install SuperSu ( from twrp advanced menu, make sure that you mounted the momentary system partition )

6) Go again in fastboot and install only the stock Android Nougat system.img

Now you have Root on Android Nougat for Nexus Player

Don't worry, when we will have the definitive version and the source code, i will build a normal and full working full Android version with normal ext4 and not squashfs. For the moment the best OS for Nexus Player are full Android Lollipop and full Android Marshmallow.

P.S.
We need an independent agency like the FCC for the approval of the new OSes that can be published to the market. An OS must be a common territory in which every company can compete with the same power.

The new OSes without root permissions and full of limitations are just machines to make money. The user is not the real owner, the manufacturer is the real owner and can force the user in their direction.

Security reasons against root are just bullshit, you can have security and also root at same time if the root permissions are granted in the right way.

Google, Microsoft and Apple are building a negative future for the digital world and this is absolutely not a matter to be underestimated. All the power in the hands of few is a very dangerous thing and the future is increasingly digital.

We need new laws to stop the abuse of this companies and defend the interests of the users.

The problem today is that 75% of users and also the governments not understand the real technological moves of these companies. Usually governments understands the issues after some years, as example the Europe against Google in this days, in the past against Microsoft and in future against Apple, Facebook and others. For this reason we need a specialized independent agency that can stop abuse before is too late to stop them.

UPDATE:
Seem that in the final Nougat release, Google uses ext4 as always. Therefore you can use TWRP and SuperSu without problems.
dabanhfreak

Post by dabanhfreak »

How long will you support now this has been discontinued Zulu? At least for N?
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

dabanhfreak wrote:How long will you support now this has been discontinued Zulu? At least for N?
I will put all my effort to create also a good Android N full firmware.

The problem of the Nexus Player is the 1GB of RAM, not enough for the current Android OS in all forms.
nashi2000

Post by nashi2000 »

Hi Zulu. I had to do a google search to find this forum. I had also to go look around xda to find out what happened. There's no comment whatsoever in Nexus Player forum. So I guess a lot of Nexus player people did not get the chance to find out whay the Thread were closed and did not even know where to go. Me I had to go search other forum and then only I saw what happened reading the Sheild TV forum.
First I had thought you stopped getting involved in Development of Android.
It's bad we lost our audience. But I"m still using your Marshmallow rom and it's a blessing. I will be waiting for the N ROM.
I don't why XDA gave you hard time. I mean what you guys do is mainly by passion and I don't think we can repay you guys enough. I am a programmer and I know how much time it takes away from you specially when you hit certain bugs just you can't figure out.
I have to say I bought Droidmote just to encourage you even though I don't use it much.
I"m just sad Nexus player people did not get the chance to learn what happened and that's the reason why they are not on your new forum.
Thanks for your had work Zulu. it's much appreciated.
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

nashi2000 wrote:Hi Zulu. I had to do a google search to find this forum. I had also to go look around xda to find out what happened. There's no comment whatsoever in Nexus Player forum. So I guess a lot of Nexus player people did not get the chance to find out whay the Thread were closed and did not even know where to go. Me I had to go search other forum and then only I saw what happened reading the Sheild TV forum.
First I had thought you stopped getting involved in Development of Android.
It's bad we lost our audience. But I"m still using your Marshmallow rom and it's a blessing. I will be waiting for the N ROM.
I don't why XDA gave you hard time. I mean what you guys do is mainly by passion and I don't think we can repay you guys enough. I am a programmer and I know how much time it takes away from you specially when you hit certain bugs just you can't figure out.
I have to say I bought Droidmote just to encourage you even though I don't use it much.
I"m just sad Nexus player people did not get the chance to learn what happened and that's the reason why they are not on your new forum.
Thanks for your had work Zulu. it's much appreciated.
Nothing special, xda forum want earn from developers posts with ADS, but also if you open a generic thread for a FREE firmware, don't permit to developers to talk also about a paid app in this generic thread. ( despite users requests support ) This totally crazy.
This is the official version explained to me. But i think that xda is also paid from some companies to remove uncomfortable things.
Today the Android world is a big monopoly and big companies want users with limitations, in this way can sell better their services. Especially in the TV world. I would not be surprised if some company had paid xda to remove my firmwares.

Don't forget that in xda forum, also today, in every page there is a mention to something paid. apps, accessories, devices, etc.
This mean that xda should remove everything from the forum ? Is not so, and for this reason i think that the motivations was others.

But the incident did not touch me in the least, I am very happy to be become independent from xda.
My firmwares are the best that you can find for Nexus Player and Shield TV in all Internet, and this is a FACT that every users can test by himself.
imog

Post by imog »

Hi zulu99. Thanks for all your work over the years on this ROM, been a user and fan since first release.

I am on the latest version now, clean flash, and cannot get leanback launcher to run.

I installed leanback launcher v1.1.5.2775444, and each time I go to launch I get "unfortunately leanback launcher has stopped".

I see from your video it can run on this ROM, so maybe I need an older version of Leanback? For my purposes, I like the full Android interface. I'm married however, and the simpler leanback interface pleases my better half.
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

imog wrote:Hi zulu99. Thanks for all your work over the years on this ROM, been a user and fan since first release.

I am on the latest version now, clean flash, and cannot get leanback launcher to run.

I installed leanback launcher v1.1.5.2775444, and each time I go to launch I get "unfortunately leanback launcher has stopped".

I see from your video it can run on this ROM, so maybe I need an older version of Leanback? For my purposes, I like the full Android interface. I'm married however, and the simpler leanback interface pleases my better half.
The last leanback launcher must go in system priv-app folder to work. But usually we not use leanback launcher, if you need a specific tv app you can create a shortcut on the normal launcher.

If you need the leanback launcher for test purpose or for others reasons i suggest the version with mouse support that you can install also without system folder.

Apk in video description
https://youtu.be/c0uFJWIcIXM
shdware

Post by shdware »

Likewise, I had to Google your username with Nexus Player to find this site.

It would be wonderful for your XDA profile to redirect users here, if you wouldn't mind logging in and updating that!

Wonderful ROM. I'm looking forward to N.