[ROM][StockRestyle 3.2 Marshmallow for Shield TV][v.1.0]

Full Android Experience with NO Limits on Shield TV and Nexus Player
zulu99
Site Admin

[ROM][StockRestyle 3.2 Marshmallow for Shield TV][v.1.0]

Post by zulu99 »

StockRestyle 3.2 for Shield Android TV

v.1.0

Android on TV is not just movies and songs but also millions of apps and games.
This firmware is the stock firmware with full Google Play inside + custom Launcher
For the best interaction with Android from your couch i suggest DroidMote, because with DroidMote multi-touch is not a problem on TV.

My Youtube Playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...8D73B9D757086B

Firmware:

Based on Nvidia stock firmware 3.2 Marshmallow
Nova launcher as default Launcher https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... w.launcher
Standard Google Play app with all apps installable.
Stock Settings.
Skype and Hangouts working with an UVC webcam
Stock functionality and hardware accessories supported.

Note: This is the stock firmware with full Google Play inside and custom launcher that you can replace. The base dpi are 220 for better apps resolution and the settings are stock. This firmware is more usable of the stock firmware, but is not full Android. The differences with full Android are that the stock firmware do not have status bar and navigation bar, the lack of multitasking and less permissions, therefore some apps can't request this permissions to the OS and are not compatible. Despite the Nvidia controller have also mouse functionality, the mouse not work on all apps and games and to write text the LeanbackIME is not comfortable, for this reason also for this basic functionality i suggest DroidMote for a better interaction. The Nvidia controller is also not able to do multi touch gestures like multi touch scroll, zoom, rotate and swipe, that are very useful on multi touch apps and games.

If you need everything a real Android device can do, you need Full Android firmware that you can download from the dedicated thread.
I made this firmware only for some users that need the Nvidia controller at all costs, also if in the full Android firmware all standard wireless, wired and bluetooth controller are working very well.

Installation:

You must start the procedure with the 3.2 stock firmware installed.

Download the StockRestyle firmware from this link: https://goo.gl/HWc7gy

Put the device in fastboot mode:
Connect the Shield Tv to PC via micro usb cable
Enable usb debugging in development settings of Shield TV
In the command prompt of your PC type:
adb reboot bootloader

The bootloader must be unlocked before all others operations with the command:
fastboot oem unlock

When the bootloader is unlocked, In the command prompt type:

1) fastboot flash system system.img
1) fastboot flash vendor vendor.img
2) fastboot -w
3) fastboot reboot

All others parts of the firmware can be stock for now and are already installed.

For the SATV Pro model you can clear the data partition also from TWRP recovery instead of use the fastboot -w command.

To root you can install the last SuperSu.zip from TWRP recovery.
Is not necessary install the TWRP recovery, you can boot it without install with the command fastboot boot twrp.img

If you don't know how to have or use fastboot, take a look here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=2588979

In case you need the Nvidia fastboot drivers for your PC:
https://developer.nvidia.com/shield-open-source

In this last link read only the section: "Next, put your SHIELD into fastboot mode using following method:"
http://nv-tegra.nvidia.com/gitweb/?p=ma ... 18-partner
Developer of DroidMote Server and DroidMote Client. Read the Quick Start Guides and then I'll be happy to help.
Donate with Paypal or Donate with Crypto
zulu99
Site Admin

Re: [ROM][StockRestyle Marshmallow for Shield Android TV][v.1.0]

Post by zulu99 »

GENERAL INFORMATIONS
First Setup:
Only for the first setup you need an hardware mouse and keyboard.
After you can use what you want, Nvidia accessories, your preferred remote or DroidMote.
The first thing to do is create a shourtcut for the Settings, go in Nova Launcher widgets and add a Nova activity and select Settings.

To remove the software keyboard:
You can install Null keyboard app and select it from settings.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... llkeyboard

Change DPI with Xposed:
You can download the last xposed framework for Marshmallow sdk23 arm64:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=3034811
You can use GravityBox for Marshmallow
You can use App Settings for Marshmallow, this 1.13 version: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpos ... count=2040
Developer of DroidMote Server and DroidMote Client. Read the Quick Start Guides and then I'll be happy to help.
ajamils

Re: [ROM][StockRestyle Marshmallow for Shield TV][v.1.0]

Post by ajamils »

Since this is stock firmware, will Neflix and YouTube play in HD quality?
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

ajamils wrote:Since this is stock firmware, will Neflix and YouTube play in HD quality?
yes but also in full Android you can have full HD and also 4K
PaulG1488

Post by PaulG1488 »

I installed the rom and so far so good. However I keep having to uninstall updates to the play store to use it. Is there anyway I can make it not auto update?
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

PaulG1488 wrote:I installed the rom and so far so good. However I keep having to uninstall updates to the play store to use it. Is there anyway I can make it not auto update?
for a correct installation, you should wipe your installed apps when you install this firmware.
fastboot -w should do that.
or a factory reset from android settings.
beng

Post by beng »

Hi
Nice to find full android roms back online!
I'm trying to install the stock restyle but I had to reinstall recovery 3.0 first and as I am setting it up, it automatically upgrades to 3.1
can I skip this step as I'm worried I will not be able to upgrade to stockrestyle (as it is 3.0) afterwards?
thanks
beng

Post by beng »

Hi
would like to flash the stockrestyle
but I have just started flashing the official 3.0 recovery, and after it boots up it automatically upgrades to 3.1
can I stop the upgrade because I'm worried I will not be able to then flash stockrestyle on top of it (as SR is 3.0)
please help
or SR version 1.1 = 3.1?
thanks
beng
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

beng wrote:Hi
would like to flash the stockrestyle
but I have just started flashing the official 3.0 recovery, and after it boots up it automatically upgrades to 3.1
can I stop the upgrade because I'm worried I will not be able to then flash stockrestyle on top of it (as SR is 3.0)
please help
or SR version 1.1 = 3.1?
thanks
beng
you should be able to install stockrestyle also over 3.1 update

however, you can download the 3.0 recovery firmware from Nvidia, extract the vendor image, download stockrestyle system image and flash only this system and vendor images with fastboot.
you can install stockrestyle system and 3.0 recovery vendor images also ove 3.1 stock.
ajamils

Post by ajamils »

I think I'm done trying out these ROMs. Spent a whole trying to get the full andriod one running in satisfactory condition but after failing at that I tried this one by doing the following steps.

- Flashed stock Nvidia rom.
- Finished setting up the ROM
- Flashed StockRestyle
- Completed the setup. Was getting errors so did factory reset.
- Complete the setup again and same issue
--- Netflix doesn't work. Shows error that it cannot connect to server.
--- Plex works but no sound.
--- Play Movies is extremely jerky. No sound either.
--- Play Store is showing the same error again and asks me uninstall updates every time I try to access it.
--- Voice Search: Gets an error "Cannot open microphone".

I appreciate your help and the effort but unfortunately both ROMs are not ready for prime time :'(