[ROM][AOSP][Full Android Nougat 7.1.1 for Nexus Player][v.1.3]

Full Android Experience with NO Limits on Shield TV and Nexus Player
zulu99
Site Admin

[ROM][AOSP][Full Android Nougat 7.1.1 for Nexus Player][v.1.3]

Post by zulu99 »

AOSP Full Android Nougat 7.1.1 for Nexus Player.

Full Android Nougat v.1.3

Android in TV is not just movies and songs but also millions of apps and games.
Full Android firmware want be full Android Experience with NO Limits.
With Android you can run all standard Google Play apps and also apps made specifically for Android TV.

For the best interaction with Android from your couch i suggest DroidMote, because with DroidMote multi-touch is not a problem on TV.

Take a look here to understand why Android on TV is better than Android TV:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... B9D757086B

What's inside ?

Kernel:
NTFS, NFS/CIFS/F2FS Filesystem support
USB Audio
ExFat support
Vpn support

Firmware:
Full AOSP firmware with standard Android Launchers. Android 7.1.1 NMF26J
Compatibility with many more apps with the classic Google Play Store ( ..Google Plus, Youtube, Chrome, Gmail, Hangout, Skype, Maps etc. etc. )
MTP + ADB (transfer file from NP to PC via usb cable like your tablet/phone)
Unlocked fixed Volume (now you can use any remote to UP/DOWN/MUTE volume)
ExFat and NTFS disk support in kernel. You can use this disks via stickmount app
Full vpn support, android native and with apps.
Bluetooth a2dp external headsets and speakers support
Arm translation to be compatibile with arm-only apps. Like Netflix and Skype
Support external microphone from usb webcam.
(tested with Logitech C525 for voice call in hangout and skype, voice search in google now, sound recording )
Chromecast functionality

Installation:

Download the firmware from this link: http://kimechanic.com/5Zo

Put the device in fastboot mode:

1) fastboot flash boot boot.img
2) fastboot flash system system.img
3) fastboot -w

To root you can download SuperSU and install with TWRP recovery:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/su ... 5-t2868133
http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-p ... y-t3114717

To restore the original firmware you can use the Factory Images "fugu" for Nexus Player https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

Note:
The remote that came with the Nexus Player will pair and work with this ROM, however it is not sufficient so please refrain from asking questions in this thread about it. I recommend using DroidMote or an hardware keyboard/mouse for realistic functionality. Only directional keys are not sufficient for a full version of Android. I love Android in TV and i use it from 3 years with many Android Tv Box. I made this firmware for my personal use, because i like Android with standard apps UI, that are more accessible, updated and fast. I like a customizable launcher, but specially i don't like imposed limitations made just to protect economic interests of few.

Kernel source code: https://android.googlesource.com/kernel/x86_64/

Changelog:

Full Android Nougat 1.3
Increase size of ZRAM to avoid the kill of background apps when some games require more memory
Added the keylayout file for the new Nvidia Bluetooth Controller

Full Android Nougat 1.2
Based on Nougat 7.1.1 NMF26J

Full Android Nougat 1.1
you can change WebView from developer options
added some missing libs got from stock firmware
added permissions for openGapps
Developer of DroidMote Server and DroidMote Client. Read the Quick Start Guides and then I'll be happy to help.
Donate with Paypal or Donate with Crypto
zulu99
Site Admin

Re: [ROM][AOSP][Full Android Nougat for Nexus Player][v.1.0]

Post by zulu99 »

SUGGESTIONS
1) Since the Nexus Player is not a powerful device, i use the following settings in Developer Options to speed up the device.

Force use of GPU for 2d drawing is enabled

Window animation scale to 0.5

Transition animation scale to 0.5

Animator duration scale to 0.5

Background process limit set to at most 3 processes
Developer of DroidMote Server and DroidMote Client. Read the Quick Start Guides and then I'll be happy to help.
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

NexusPlayer for Kodi and everything else Android can offer !
The cheapest Android Nougat device for your development.

zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

Boot Android TV or Full Android from an external USB DISK AKA Dual Boot Full Android and Android TV
Nexus Player is not the Shield TV, have only USB 2.0 and 1GB RAM, the USB 2 is too slow to support a second OS, however you can test.
Personally on Nexus Player i use only the internal storage.

Step by step instructions:

1) Format an USB HD or USB 3 Flash Drive as primary Ext4 partition with Linux. You can use Gparted tool.
2) Mount the USB drive with Paragon extFS: https://www.paragon-software.com/home/extfs-windows/
3) Download Factory firmware from Google: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images or Full Android: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1609
4) Extract system.img from factory firmware or from full Android archive
5) Convert system.img to ext4 using simg2img.exe tool: https://github.com/KinglyWayne/simg2img_win
6) Download su.img from here: http://goo.gl/gvDWHa
7) Copy system.img and su.img to mounted usb drive
8) Attach USB drive to Nexus Player
9) Download the boot / recovery image NP_boot_from_usb_1.0.img from here: http://goo.gl/gkQXOg
10) Reboot Nexus PLayer to Fastboot mode
11) Flash the NP_boot_from_usb_1.0.img as recovery with the command: fastboot flash recovery NP_boot_from_usb_1.0.img

From now on, every time you reboot in recovery mode from the main OS you will go to the second OS that is installed on the USB drive.
At first boot install SuperSu and Chrome Browser. You can upload the apk to Gdrive and download / install with es file explorer.
When you have SuperSu and Chrome you can do everything.
shdware

Post by shdware »

Can I flash the files in their respective partitions with TWRP?

Or can I use TWRP to install Google's image of Nougat?

fastboot hasn't been working for me lately, and I've always had some trouble with it.
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

shdware wrote:Can I flash the files in their respective partitions with TWRP?

Or can I use TWRP to install Google's image of Nougat?

fastboot hasn't been working for me lately, and I've always had some trouble with it.
i don't know if TWRP can flash a sparse system image (the format for fastboot)

However you can use also flashfire if work on nexus player or others apps.

if you have root and you want flash at low level, you can convert the sparse system.img in raw ext4 img and after rewrite the system partition with dd command
wezela

Post by wezela »

TWRP flashes both boot and system fine. I did a factory reset and wiped system before flashing.

Vulkan isn't being found when I try to run this demo. Also casting to it with a phone still causes the google cast receiver app to crash like it did in the 1.3 full marshmallow rom.

Another thing I noticed is that double tapping the home button on the remote or a keyboard no longer goes to the recent apps switcher, though it's not irreplaceable.
53l3c7a

Post by 53l3c7a »

This is running wonderfully. Its a bit soon to tell, but I think the audio dropouts I was having on stock are gone. I'm a DroidMote user myself, but my wife has only iOS devices. Is there a way to get the Android TV Remote app to work with this firmware? I'd like for her to be able to use Kodi when I'm not home.
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

wezela wrote:TWRP flashes both boot and system fine. I did a factory reset and wiped system before flashing.

Vulkan isn't being found when I try to run this demo. Also casting to it with a phone still causes the google cast receiver app to crash like it did in the 1.3 full marshmallow rom.

Another thing I noticed is that double tapping the home button on the remote or a keyboard no longer goes to the recent apps switcher, though it's not irreplaceable.
For Casting from phone i know. Google disabled it with Google Play services, is the same also on Shield TV. ( with old google play services apk it work ) I don'y know why Google disabled only this functionality, maybe for security reasons ( drm problems on same apps )
But all others cast functionality works and for screen casting you can use also some alternative apps like Reflector 2 and Mirror360
mirror360 receiver on nexus player and mirror 360 sender on your phone.

As an option in full Android you can also cast the Nexus Player screen to Chromecast, in this way you can have kodi in many TV

For double tapping on home, this is a change of new Android Nougat version. Personally I open recents apps with the droimdote dedicated button therefore i don't have problems.

For Vulkan i will test better but the library are ok and the HAL is inside the /system/vendor/lib/hw folder
Your demo not work also on stock firmware

UPDATE:
For Vulkan, your sample is made for Shield TV and have a specific Nvidia implementation. We must test others things.
If you know a sample that works on stock firmware please let me know.
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

53l3c7a wrote:This is running wonderfully. Its a bit soon to tell, but I think the audio dropouts I was having on stock are gone. I'm a DroidMote user myself, but my wife has only iOS devices. Is there a way to get the Android TV Remote app to work with this firmware? I'd like for her to be able to use Kodi when I'm not home.
This is not possible, the google remote implementation interfere with the standard Android audio and with the standard Android bluetooth. Adding this can break many others useful things.
But don't forget that you can have also dual boot. full Android and Android TV