[ROM][Full Android Nougat for Shield TV][v.1.5]

Full Android Experience with NO Limits on Shield TV and Nexus Player
Veronica

Re: [ROM][Full Android Nougat for Shield TV][v.1.0]

Post by Veronica »

Mattkilla wrote: Hey Zulu

I installed the app tile root for nougat and I am still not getting full screen when I cast YouTube videos to the Shield from my phone. The software keys are still visible and it is like others have said Amazon video is described with a box around the video. Did I do something wrong or why am I not getting full screen with certain apps. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Hello, watch the following video to get you going
nVidia Shield TV 2015 Full Android Nougat ~ DroidMote Touch Profiles for Gamepad ~
To have Mouse functionality with right stick like in stock but in all apps you need to install DroidMote Client and Server.
Read the 2nd post for more info.
Mattkilla

Post by Mattkilla »

Veronica wrote:
Mattkilla wrote: Hey Zulu

I installed the app tile root for nougat and I am still not getting full screen when I cast YouTube videos to the Shield from my phone. The software keys are still visible and it is like others have said Amazon video is described with a box around the video. Did I do something wrong or why am I not getting full screen with certain apps. Thanks in advance.

Hello, watch the following video to get you going
Thank you that helps a bunch!

How are you still able to use the leanback launcher?

Veronica

Post by Veronica »

Mattkilla wrote: Thank you that helps a bunch!

It is not Leanback launcher, it's HALauncher but it is not stable. I'm still testing it and debugging.
nVidia Shield TV 2015 Full Android Nougat ~ DroidMote Touch Profiles for Gamepad ~
To have Mouse functionality with right stick like in stock but in all apps you need to install DroidMote Client and Server.
Mattkilla

Post by Mattkilla »

Veronica wrote:
Mattkilla wrote: Thank you that helps a bunch!

It is not Leanback launcher, it's HALauncher but it is not very stable. I'm still testing it and debugging.
Oh I see. I prefer TV Launcher for my setup, although I never default So that I can access full android settings and such...

tjref

Re: [ROM][Full Android Nougat for Shield TV][v.1.2]

Post by tjref »

Hi guys, First of all, great work putting this up! I'm testing it now, and somehow the full nougat version seems to work much faster than the android TV version on my 16gb shield tv 2017. I can even set the resolution to 4k on my fhd tv without seeing performance impact with navigation (through adb), which did impair performance somehow on the original firmware. Also the stock shield remote 2017 works better now, seems to be able to hold connection longer and resuming connection, where with the stock firmware I'd have to wait several seconds for the remote to work.

However, I'm a bit disappointed that you didn't leave the stock applications and leanback launcher in the firmware. Why did you throw them away? I (and probably more people like myself) would want to have the Leanback experience with the ability to use full android apps and services when leanback apps aren't available (without errors and things).

Do you happen to have a backup of those apps and services that you removed? I actually like the leanback experience..

Also, a question. I want to edit the build.prop from vendor and system. But I'm not sure if I also need to rename everything with " foster" in it, or only the foster_e things?

I find these with the name foster in it:

ro,build.description
full_foster_e-user 7.0 NDR90M ...............

ro.build.fingerprint
NVIDIA/full_foster_e/foster:7.0/NRD90M/...............................

ro.build.flavor
full_foster_e-user

ro.build.product
foster

ro.product.device
foster

ro.product.name
full_foster_e

And in the vendor/build.prop i find the ro.vendor.build.fingerprint again (see above)

Which should I rename? And which do I leave as is or rename to " darcy " which is my device?

Also, Wifi doesn't seem to be working, but maybe that's because of the fact that it doesn't have a MAC address? I'm on ethernet, so it's not a big issue.

And one more thing, I notice that android does find and connect to my Xiaomi Remote, but it doesn't work. Any ideas how to make it work?

And veronica, thanks for the video on how to disable the navigation buttons!
tjref

Post by tjref »

Also, I didn't need to root my device before booting into android, it works even without root (the description said otherwise). But I did so anyway afterwards.
Veronica

Post by Veronica »

tjref wrote:Hi guys, First of all, great work putting this up! I'm testing it now, and somehow the full nougat version seems to work much faster than the android TV version on my 16gb shield tv 2017. I can even set the resolution to 4k on my fhd tv without seeing performance impact with navigation (through adb), which did impair performance somehow on the original firmware. Also the stock shield remote 2017 works better now, seems to be able to hold connection longer and resuming connection, where with the stock firmware I'd have to wait several seconds for the remote to work.

However, I'm a bit disappointed that you didn't leave the stock applications and leanback launcher in the firmware. Why did you throw them away? I (and probably more people like myself) would want to have the Leanback experience with the ability to use full android apps and services when leanback apps aren't available (without errors and things).

Do you happen to have a backup of those apps and services that you removed? I actually like the leanback experience..

Also, a question. I want to edit the build.prop from vendor and system. But I'm not sure if I also need to rename everything with " foster" in it, or only the foster_e things?

I find these with the name foster in it:

ro,build.description
full_foster_e-user 7.0 NDR90M ...............

ro.build.fingerprint
NVIDIA/full_foster_e/foster:7.0/NRD90M/...............................

ro.build.flavor
full_foster_e-user

ro.build.product
foster

ro.product.device
foster

ro.product.name
full_foster_e

And in the vendor/build.prop i find the ro.vendor.build.fingerprint again (see above)

Which should I rename? And which do I leave as is or rename to " darcy " which is my device?

Also, Wifi doesn't seem to be working, but maybe that's because of the fact that it doesn't have a MAC address? I'm on ethernet, so it's not a big issue.

And one more thing, I notice that android does find and connect to my Xiaomi Remote, but it doesn't work. Any ideas how to make it work?

And veronica, thanks for the video on how to disable the navigation buttons!
Basically the only stock apps missing are Shield HUB/GeforceNOW (which i explain below) and Leanback launcher which is tied to framework and whats not, it is not possible to port it as-is with all the best and whistles to work exactly as in stock. Try downloading from apkmirror and sideloading Leanback launcher and Google Quicksearch Box for Android TV apps and you'll see it doesn't even allow you to install. We don't support locked down, restricted apps.
Amazon Video, Vudu, Plex, Plex Server, Netflix, Chromecast Receiver are included, but Amazon Video can only be seen in Launchers that support Apps with Leanback code in it, for the Launchers that don't support Leanback apps by default, you can create a shortcut to the Home screen, using internal launcher shortcut feature or a 3rth party app to create shortcuts.

Please read the 2nd post again.
I explicitly explain to change only the "full_foster_e" fields, in total there are 4 of those within /system/build.prop and 1 within /vendor/build.prop. Do as the instructions say and don't change to "darcy", otherwise you'll have issues with Play Store upgrading to the Android TV version automatically and stop working, use sb_na_wf instead.
Once you are done changing build.props, reboot your device, then go to the Play Store and download NVIDIA Games to have Shield HUB/Geforce Now/Gamestream back:

About WiFi problem, i will have to confirm that with @zulu99

As this is the DroidMote forum, it is advised to use that to control you Android device but we'll see if @zulu99 can provide a keylayout for that remote because if it does not work it means it is not supported in the Kernel, same behaviour should be in stock Nvidia firmware.

You're welcome!
Veronica

Post by Veronica »

tjref wrote:Also, I didn't need to root my device before booting into android, it works even without root (the description said otherwise). But I did so anyway afterwards.
There were reports of users stuck at boot screen with Warning errors, it is why we made it mandatory to root for the Shield TV 2017 users, otherwise we could expect noob users to panic without knowing what to do next and taking fast wrong decisions that could possibly brick their device.
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

Wifi work well on 2017 model with last full Android Nougat 1.2 firmware. I have also the 2017 model.

If you like directional keys, that is the main reason why Android TV have so many limitations, you can install also others launcher that show leanback apps and is easly navigable with directional keys.

Since with DroidMote we can have mouse, keyboard, multi touch, controllers, directional keys etc. a standard launcher is faster, better organized and with more options. Personally i use Google Now Launcher.

Generally, if you use only Kodi and Netflix on TV, directional keys are slow but can be sufficient, but if you want everything on your TV, full Android + DroidMote is the best solution.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Developer of DroidMote Server and DroidMote Client. Read the Quick Start Guides and then I'll be happy to help.
Donate with Paypal or Donate with Crypto
tjref

Post by tjref »

Thank you both for responding so quickly.
Yes, I've tried the leanback launcher and indeed it wouldn't start (the standard google one at least).
What I'm missing personally is the usual Android TV experience, as Nvidia delivers it, but then with the addition to use a secondary launcher (and the regular play store) for the apps and features that don't work with the limited features that are in Android TV.

I will try Droidmote later, but I also want to be able to just " Lean back ;) " and use everything the way leanback was intended, with a remote and not my smartphone (I don't want to use a touchscreen all the time, for me personally I like the choice). But I don't really like the original remote that comes with the shield tv 2017, so I've been trying ever since I have the device to use the xiaomi remote, but obviously there is no support for it. But since I now found out that bluetooth DOES find and pairs the remote, I'm now wondering how I can make it work. It's not a request for you guys to do for me, I will try it myself, but if you have any idea where to look (what files) that'd be great.

So basically I want an all in one experience. I believe the nvidia games app doesn't show the leanback interface, but the tablet interface?
I also don't want to use the launcher that comes with the ROM, no offense, but it's not my taste. I'll probably be trying Nova or any other of my liking. And basically the only launcher that is kind-of leanback launcher style is HALauncher, which has several other things of its own that I don't really like.

And now as it is without the build.prop file edited, I'm not able to install any leanback apps from the store. Will that be possible once I change these two files?

WiFi for me doesn't find any networks.. Don't need it right now, but i'll have to figure out why.

Thanks a lot guys, seriously great work. One thing I don't get is why this ROM is working much faster than the stock rom. (setting the CPU kernel governor to ondemand or performance also helps eliminate some lag, but on the original ROM there was still some lag left)