[ROM][Full Android Nougat for Shield TV][v.1.5]

Full Android Experience with NO Limits on Shield TV and Nexus Player
zulu99
Site Admin

[ROM][Full Android Nougat for Shield TV][v.1.5]

Post by zulu99 »

Full Android Nougat for Shield TV

v.1.5
Android on TV is not just movies and songs but also millions of apps and games.
This firmware provide Full Android Experience with NO Limits.
With Android you can run all standard Google Play apps and also apps made specifically for Android TV.
Please read the 2nd and 3rd posts for How-to's and other info BEFORE POSTING!
For the best interaction with Android from your couch i suggest DroidMote, because with DroidMote, multi-touch is not a problem on TV.
Take a look here to understand why Android on TV is better than Android TV:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... B9D757086B

FIRMWARE FEATURES:

Based on the lastest Nvidia stock Nougat firmware
Everything the stock firmware can offer + full Android
All Android apps installable directly from Google Play
Status Bar
Navigation Bar
Recent Apps
Split Screen
Freeform Windows
Webcam
Old and new Nvidia Controllers in wireless mode and also with MIC and audio via controllers.
full Android Settings and Android TV Settings
In one word, Everything.

DOWNLOADS:

* Full Android Nougat 1.5 firmware: https://goo.gl/xSjk9F
SHA1: 76AB7D6B934242941E913B601127885825BC7684
Support the development with a vote on Google Play for DroidMote Client

* All-in-One package: Nvidia ShieldTV drivers+adb+fastboot+twrp+supersu
http://adf.ly/1lGeif

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ADB and Fastboot tools:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showth ... ?t=2588979

Nvidia Shield TV drivers for Windows PC:
https://developer.nvidia.com/shield-open-source

TWRP recovery:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showth ... ?t=3545544
Note: The above is still the only one that works best for all 2015, 2017 and PRO models but not without bugs. Always look for one that is confirmed to work in your device model, get the most stable one you can find.

Latest SuperSU ZIP:
http://www.supersu.com/download

INSTRUCTIONS:

*** You MUST start the procedure with the stock firmware Nougat 6.X ALREADY installed. To avoid issues please CLEAN INSTALL this firmware

*** Once your Shield TV 2015 has upgraded to stock Nvidia Android TV Nougat, you CANNOT LONGER DOWNGRADE THE BOOTLOADER (blob file) to Marshmallow or older, otherwise you will HARD BRICK your device. While you DON'T FLASH WRONG BOOTLOADER and be able to boot into fastboot/bootloader mode, your device will be recoverable.
TIP: avoid using flash-all.bat, flash-all.sh and do not flash MM or older OTA packages

VIDEO TUTORIALS:
Installation:

English version: https://youtu.be/LQaYb4oVHVc
Spanish version: https://youtu.be/_mllRt93Ook
Thanks to user and Moderator Veronica

How to boot into Fastboot mode, HW method, Shield TV 2017:
https://youtu.be/YTtwnVFYRKQ

How to boot into Fastboot mode, HW method, Shield TV 2015 and PRO:
https://youtu.be/2AzHF-uNiY8

WRITTEN INSTRUCTIONS:
- You must download and setup ADB/Fastboot tools on your Windows/Linux/OSX PC first

- Put the Nvidia Shield TV in Fastboot mode:

How to put 2017 model in Fastboot mode, Controller method:
http://nv-tegra.nvidia.com/gitweb/?p=ma ... r1-partner

How to put 2015 and PRO models in Fastboot mode, HW method:
http://nv-tegra.nvidia.com/gitweb/?p=ma ... .1-partner

*** If you are on a Windows PC, download and install Nvidia ADB/Fastboot drivers while booted up in Fastboot mode for your device to get recognized.
*** If you own a Nvidia Shield TV 16GB 2017 model, follow the next steps to successfully install Nvidia ADB/Fastboot Windows drivers:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/shield ... st70773842

- You MUST unlock bootloader before all other operations with the following command:
(if you ever run into an issue do not run "fastboot oem lock" as apparently device can't be unlocked again after that)

fastboot oem unlock

- When the bootloader is unlocked, in the command prompt type:

1) fastboot flash system system.img
2) fastboot flash vendor vendor.img
3) fastboot -w
4) fastboot boot recovery.img --> to boot TWRP recovery and flash SuperSu package. You need a regular mouse.
5) In TWRP go to: Advanced >> ADB sideload and swipe to enable sideload mode
6) adb sideload supersu_package_name.zip
7) Reboot System

NOTES:
For the SATV 500GB Pro model, instead of using fastboot -w to clear data / cache, you can use the TWRP recovery to clear data and cache ( to avoid 2 hours of formatting data, because you have a large HD ).

For all Shield TVs 2015 models (codename "foster") you can skip the steps to boot into TWRP to flash SuperSU in your device if you don't want to root, but, for all 2017 models (codename "darcy") you MUST boot into TWRP to root your device FOR FIRST TIME, otherwise it will be stuck at boot SHOWING A STATIC SPLASH SCREEN WITH AN ERROR MESSAGE "can't verify bootloader" and Nvidia logo... why? because SuperSU modifies boot.img when installed for first time in TWRP, disabling some checks at boot allowing your device to boot to Android normally. Next time you re-flash the same firmware or go back to equivalent version of stock Android TV, there's no needed to flash SuperSU again as boot.img won't be touched unless you upgrade stock Android TV firmware (a.k.a Nvidia Upgrade Experience)

Changelog:

v.1.5
Based on latest 6.3 Nvidia update
solved some full android specific problems
Fix serious bug on wifi AC, now wifi AC is optimal.

v.1.4
Based on latest 6 Nvidia update

v.1.3
Based on latest 5.2 Nvidia update

v.1.2
Based on 5.1 Nvidia update

v.1.1
Fix wifi for Shield TV 16GB 2017
Added also full Android Settings, now we have both Settings. Android TV Settings and normal Android Settings.
The new Settings fix many things and add many others options.

Last edited by moderator Veronica on Sept 4 /17
Developer of DroidMote Server and DroidMote Client. Read the Quick Start Guides and then I'll be happy to help.
Donate with Paypal or Donate with Crypto
zulu99
Site Admin

Re: [ROM][Full Android Nougat for Shield TV][v.1.0]

Post by zulu99 »

WARNING:

In this forum we suggest to follow Nvidia procedures to upgrade, the bootloader should be changed only with those procedures, so in case of brick, the user can contact Nvidia to replace under RMA the defective device. They are good with RMA  requests.

Note: you cannot downgrade to MM bootloader from Nougat and higher. If you are hard bricked is because you attempted to downgrade the bootloader or your usb cable failed while flashing it,
thus, posts with this kind of issues are considered Off Topic and will be removed

GENERAL INFOS

[[emoji818]] How to restore Power Button behaviour:

# Root required #
Open the file /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl with a text editor

Change:

Code: Select all

key 116 STB_POWER
To:

key 116 POWER
Reboot

[[emoji818]] How to restore Screensaver and Sleep time like in stock:

1. You must enable developer options by going into:
Android TV settings > About > Build (it's located at the very bottom), hit the build option 5 to 7 times, then a toast notification will appear mentioning that Developer mode has been unlocked.
2. Go back to the main settings menu, search for Developer options and click on it:
Disable "Stay awake" option
3. Go back, then go to Screen saver menu and set:
Screen saver > Backdrop
When to start > After 5 minutes of inactivity
4. Open full Android settings > Display > Screen saver
5. Hit the 3 dot menu at the top right > When to start screen saver > select While charging

Done! You can now temporarily set the Sleep time to 15 seconds to test in:
Full Android (AOSP) settings > Display > Sleep or simply wait the 5 minutes.

[[emoji818]] How to have Full Mouse + other features in your Gamepad:

# Root required #
In order to get Mouse functionality with the right stick of your Gamepad like in stock but in all apps/screen, plus TouchMouse (for

game apps that only detect touch actions) and Gamepad2Touch (to play hundreds of multi-touch games with your favourite Gamepad)

features, you need to install both DroidMote Cient and Server in your Nvidia Shield TV.

Once you install them, you need to START the Server, then CONNECT DroidMote Client to the Local DroidMote Server (127.0.0.1) and enable droidmoteIME.

After that, Mouse mode will be enabled by default and ready to be used with your Gamepad. Please check the following images for more help:

[[emoji818]] How to have Shield HUB/Geforce Now/Gamestream back:

# Root required #
After installation and first boot of the firmware with root you can use a Text Editor of your preference or BuildProp Editor app from the Play Store to edit the build.prop:

Open /system/build.prop and change the 4 fields containing full_foster_e to sb_na_wf

Open /vendor/build.prop and change the 1 single field containing full_foster_e to sb_na_wf

sb_na_wf is the device code name of the Shield Tablet K1 that is also enabled for Nvidia Game Streaming.

Once you make the changes, reboot your device and then go to the Play Store to download NVIDIA Games app which will bring Shield HUB/Geforce Now/Gamestream back.

NOTE: It is better to use sb_na_wf (Nvidia Tablet K1) instead of "foster_e" for Shield TV 2015 or "darcy" for Shield TV 2017 because in that way the Play Store for Android TV version won't automatically install and stop working (won't open at all).

[[emoji818]] How to have Full Screen / Immersive Mode:

# Root required #
The easy way: use Tile Root for Nougat and watch the following video to learn how to set it up to completely Go Full Screen by hiding status and navigation bars and optionally removing soft navigation bar to get rid of black/grey bars on apps that are unable to do so.
The hard way: you can run the following commands from Terminal Emulator app or automatize the commands with a widget in the home screen:

This command to activate:

su
settings put global policy_control immersive.full=*
This command to disable:

su
settings put global policy_control immersive.full=
[[emoji818]] How to make the 2nd USB port of the SATV 16GB 2017 work normally again:

# Root required #
When Full Android is installed, by default the 2nd USB port of the Shield TV 16GB 2017 work for ADB/Debug only.

In order to recover normal functionality back and be able to use USB debugging and Host mode at the same time

you need to add the following to the build.prop and then save the changes (preferably right after you install the firmware and boot for the first time):

persist.convertible.usb.mode=host
YOU MUST FACTORY RESET YOUR SHIELD TV AFTER THIS because the firmware must start with this string already inside the build.prop for it to work.
Please Note that if you factory reset your device and want to remain rooted, then YOU'LL HAVE TO ROOT AGAIN as the reset will wipe it out aswell, that's because the root method is systemless so it installs in /data partition.

To enable USB-HOST:

echo USB-HOST > /sys/class/exton/ID/connect
To disable USB-HOST:

echo none > /sys/class/exton/ID/connect
[[emoji818]] How redirect audio of phone and video calls to HDMI audio:

By default the audio of phone calls and video calls is redirected to old controller headphones or to USB audio sound card.

But I found a simple way to redirect the audio of phone calls and video calls to HDMI

with this simple app Receiver Output Swap

Mainly you open this app, press the center button and it will go in the notification bar

after you open Hangouts or Facebook Messenger and make a phone or video call

slide down the notification bar, open the Receiver Output Swap app and click the center button again

you can return in Hangouts or Facebook Messenger and continue the video / phone call with HDMI audio

[[emoji818]] How to have webcam functionalities on all apps that require a camera:

In some apps like Google Plus, Skype and others, mostly social network apps require a camera app to share photos and videos.

You can install the app Open Camera to have these functionalities.

Last edited by moderator Veronica on Sept 4 /17
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Developer of DroidMote Server and DroidMote Client. Read the Quick Start Guides and then I'll be happy to help.
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

UPGRADE INSTRUCTIONS FROM Full Android MARSHMALLOW
If you are on Full Android or Stock Restyle Marshmallow and you want upgrade:

SHORT STEPS:
You have to re-install (go back to) stock 3.x, download the OTA 5.x automatically and start stock Nougat. From stock Nougat, you can finally install Full Android Nougat.

LONG STEPS (users case scenarios):
Full Android Nougat = FAN / Full Android Marshmallow = FAM
Stock Restyle MM to FAN: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1646&p=5690#p5690
FAM to FAN: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1646&p=5850#p5850

ALTERNATIVE:

If you are on full Android Marshmallow, you can install the Stock Nougat OTA via TWRP ( TWRP for Marshmallow ) and ' Reboot to system '.

Once you have stock Nougat, you can install full Android Nougat

But ATTENTION: if for error you install the OTA of a Shield TV model different than yours, you will brick the device because the bootloader (blob file) is different.
loki495

Post by loki495 »

Awesome job zulu!! I have a 2017 16Gb, but can't wait to try it!

Is there a way to dual boot Full Android Nougat from a USB drive on the 2017? i tried the satv_boot_from_usb.zip from the Marshmallow thread, but it doesn't work for the 2017
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

loki495 wrote:Awesome job zulu!! I have a 2017 16Gb, but can't wait to try it!

Is there a way to dual boot Full Android Nougat from a USB drive on the 2017? i tried the satv_boot_from_usb.zip from the Marshmallow thread, but it doesn't work for the 2017
Is normal, SATV 16 GB 2017 work only with new Nougat boot images.

All the things for Marshmallow are only for Marshmallow.

This is a complete new world.

For now, you can only try the firmware on the internal storage, replacing system and vendor image.

In the time, i will port all previous things also for Nougat.
loki495

Post by loki495 »

ok zulu. thanks for all your work!!
Sealwolfy

Post by Sealwolfy »

Thanks Zulu. How do you install Nougat for shield TV 16k V1.0? I have currently have [ROM][Full Android Marshmallow for Shield TV][v.1.5] installed. Thanks again.
drilus

Post by drilus »

zulu99 wrote:
Full Android Nougat for Shield TV

You must start the procedure with the 5.x stock firmware Nougat installed.
Which stock firmware do we use? The latest firmware for Nvidia Shield 2015 is 3.3.0 release on 10/28/16.
nycjian

Post by nycjian »

great work!
Veronica

Post by Veronica »

Hi, i just finished the install in my ex virgin Shield TV 2015 lol and everything went smooth without error, very straight forward.

Here are some notes for newbies or for whoever that might find them useful:

I unlocked bootloader (Already had a C:\ADB folder with adb and fastboot files, once booted in fastboot mode i saw the fastboot with yellow triangle option in Device Manager on Windows 10, next i installed the nvidia fastboot driver provided in their website but used the link provided by zulu99 in first post)

It was easier for me to uncompress Full Android Nougat for Shield TV_1.0.rar package to my C:\ADB folder so no need to chage directory.

After the fastboot -w command i made a pause to download TWRP recovery from here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/shield ... 7-t3545544 (again uncompressed the package within C:\ADB folder) and also downloaded latest Supersu recovery flashable zip from http://www.supersu.com/download and moved it to C:\ADB folder.
Then i typed: fastboot boot recovery.img command to start TWRP (not install).
Once booted up in TWRP i needed a mouse only to be able to swipe when required, the first important swipe is to allow write to system (i was using a Logitech k400 keyboard+mouse combo but could not swipe with it). Next i went to Advanced option in TWRP and selected ADB Sideload to sideload Supersu zip in order to root the Shield TV with the following command: adb sideload SuperSU-v2.79-201612051815.zip .Immediately after that TWRP auto installed the .zip, then finally i just had to hit the Reboot System button.

NOTE: The Shield rebooted but after 5 seconds it rebooted itself (looped) once again, that is just fine so do not get scared. In fact after Supersu installation you can see a note at the bottom saying it might loop a few times and that it could take minutes to boot. After that the Shield booted up just fine.

Now it's testing time!!!

Grazie mille @zulu99!
nVidia Shield TV 2015 Full Android Nougat ~ DroidMote Touch Profiles for Gamepad ~
To have Mouse functionality with right stick like in stock but in all apps you need to install DroidMote Client and Server.
Read the 2nd post for more info.