[ROM][Full Android Nougat for Shield TV][v.1.5]

Full Android Experience with NO Limits on Shield TV and Nexus Player
harpua1982

Re: [ROM][Full Android Nougat for Shield TV][v.1.5]

Post by harpua1982 »

The Factory Data Reset actually reset my device to FULL Android Nougat (Build number: NRD90M.1915764_835.9903 Full Android 1.1)

My notes indicate that before installing FULL Android 1.1, I reset to the original stock rom that came w/ the box (3.3) then updated to 5.0.2 before flashing Full Android 1.1.

So, if I'm reading correctly, to get the Stock Nvidia Oreo (before flashing FULL Android), I need to install the latest recovery firmware "NVIDIA SHIELD ANDROID TV Recovery OS Image" V.7.0.2 (actually, the latest is now: v7.1.0) on my 2015 16GB Nvidia SHIELD.

I'm aware that this clearly states this in the first few post, but I just want to be sure to not flash the wrong fw and brick my device. So thank you in advance for making that clear to me despite explaining it in the first few post. :?
2015 Nvidia SHIELDtv - Full Android Nougat v1.1
Chaozine

Post by Chaozine »

Can I use this patched boot image found from Oreo thread (http://bit.ly/magisk_boot_foster_e_71_v1) to replace SuperSU with Magisk in my Nougat 1.5?
Andro.Gamer

Post by Andro.Gamer »

How to make ROOT in 7.2 stock? I tried without success
Mogster

Post by Mogster »

Chaozine wrote:Can I use this patched boot image found from Oreo thread (http://bit.ly/magisk_boot_foster_e_71_v1) to replace SuperSU with Magisk in my Nougat 1.5?
No. The boot image has to match the OS version (Nougat vs. Oreo.)
You can however make your own. Copy the stock Nougat boot.img to your phone. Then, on your phone, open the Magisk app and tap "install". (I don't think Magisk actually needs to be installed for this - you just need the app.) Under "select method" choose "patch boot image file." Let it patch your ShieldTV boot.img and then copy it back to your PC and flash it. You'll also need the Magisk Manager app on your ShieldTV (grab it from the official thread if you don't have it.) Next time you boot the ShieldTV, run the Magisk app to finish installation and reboot again. Done!

... Come to think of it, the patching could probably be done on the ShieldTV as well. But you'd still need a PC to flash the image.

Edit: the patching should definitely be done on the ShieldTV. It used to work on phones before 7.2, but that was probably coincidence. Officially it should always be done on the same device. (I didn't know that when I made this post.)
Last edited by Mogster on Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mogster

Post by Mogster »

Andro.Gamer wrote:How to make ROOT in 7.2 stock? I tried without success
Install Magisk to get root. See my previous post.
Chaozine

Post by Chaozine »

Mogster wrote:
Chaozine wrote:Can I use this patched boot image found from Oreo thread (http://bit.ly/magisk_boot_foster_e_71_v1) to replace SuperSU with Magisk in my Nougat 1.5?
No. The boot image has to match the OS version (Nougat vs. Oreo.)
You can however make your own. Copy the stock Nougat boot.img to your phone. Then, on your phone, open the Magisk app and tap "install". (I don't think Magisk actually needs to be installed for this - you just need the app.) Under "select method" choose "patch boot image file." Let it patch your ShieldTV boot.img and then copy it back to your PC and flash it. You'll also need the Magisk Manager app on your ShieldTV (grab it from the official thread if you don't have it.) Next time you boot the ShieldTV, run the Magisk app to finish installation and reboot again. Done!

... Come to think of it, the patching could probably be done on the ShieldTV as well. But you'd still need a PC to flash the image.
Thanks for the help! Much appreciated!
cornel262

Post by cornel262 »

Hi, I need help please, I tried to make a recovery of my Shield 2017 from full android 1.5 and now the Shied is in a continuous bootloop and it does not start, with the game controller I managed to get into Fastboot but I do not know how to proceed, you can Say what do I have to do?
Mogster

Post by Mogster »

By "make a recovery", do you mean make a backup? What steps did you take?
cornel262

Post by cornel262 »

Mogster wrote:By "make a recovery", do you mean make a backup? What steps did you take?
I wanted to go back to stock ROM
https://nvidiashieldzone.com/shield-and ... -recovery/
Mogster

Post by Mogster »

The guide is a little outdated - The last version of Nougat for the ShieldTV is 6.3 (download "NVIDIA SHIELD TV 2017 Recovery OS Image 6.3.0" from https://developer.nvidia.com/gameworksdownload and the best tools to use are the SDK Platform Tools from Google.