[ROM][Full Android Oreo for Shield TV][v.1.10]

Full Android Experience with NO Limits on Shield TV and Nexus Player
shielduser2018

Re: [ROM][Full Android Oreo for Shield TV][v.1.7]

Post by shielduser2018 »

shielduser2018 wrote:I will be doing this over the next few days on my new Shield 2017 (Oreo).

1) fastboot oem unlock
2) fastboot flash system system.img
3) fastboot flash vendor vendor.img
4) fastboot flash boot magisk_boot_darcy_7.1-v1.img
5) fastboot -w
6) fastboot reboot

If anyone sees any issue with these steps please let me know.
Everything went perfectly. No errors whatsoever (i have the execution log)... but upon rebooting its stuck on the nvidia logo for hours now.
Any idea how to fix it ? is it bricked again ?

update1: I can reach fastboot again! by unplugging hdmi and pressing A+B on the keyboard.
I tried "fastboot -w" again but its still getting stuck at the nvidia logo.

update2: The problem could be that the shield updated itself to 7.2 while I was rebooting after unlocking the bootloader. i.e. the 7.1 patched boot image does not work anymore.
I tried getting the boot.img from 7.1 nvidia developer release, patching it with magisk manager apk, and flashed it to boot (followed by a fastboot -w). Its still getting stuck at the nvidia logo. Same as before.

Does anyone have a 7.2 boot image? patched or stock is fine.

update3: Found a 7.2 boot image, patched it with magisk and flashed it to boot. Still not working but now after two attempts it goes back to the bootloader which is nice.

I can still get into fastboot...so there is hope.
Mogster

Post by Mogster »

rhkrwjdtn wrote:Hi.

I install Full android oreo to shield tv 2018.

it's working very well.

Download many rotation screen orientation apk, install that. but dosen't work.

I have side-loaded a few rotation apps and the view changes to portrait but still with the landscape resolution so i end up with a portrait view in the center of the screen.

What can i do?

do you have any idea or application?

plz. I'm wating to reply.
What exactly are you trying to do?
barkop

Post by barkop »

Hi, i tried to make the 2nd usb Port work normally again, but if i add persist.convertible.usb.mode=host at build.prop save the file and factory reset my shield, the Port still works in debug Mode.
I wrote the Code with es file Explorer.
Can someone help me please
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

I'm trying to port fulll android to 7.2 nvidia firmware

I have big problems with systemui that crash on recents apps, i not know if i can solve.

and seems that if you update to 7.2, you can't downgrade anymore. but i not tested more than one time.....

i also rooted with magisk the shield tv 2015 models. but on 2017 model seems that magisk not work, tested only one time....

anyway, for now, before all things are clear, i suggest to not update to Nvidia 7.2

the only good news is that the scroll with mouse bug was solved. The scroll, not the drag with Nova launcher that as i wrote before is a normal behaviour of launchers that not support specifically mouse from Oreo and highter versions of android.
Developer of DroidMote Server and DroidMote Client. Read the Quick Start Guides and then I'll be happy to help.
Donate with Paypal or Donate with Crypto
MickG

Post by MickG »

barkop wrote:Hi, i tried to make the 2nd usb Port work normally again, but if i add persist.convertible.usb.mode=host at build.prop save the file and factory reset my shield, the Port still works in debug Mode.
I wrote the Code with es file Explorer.
Can someone help me please
After you write it in build.prop shutdown and pull power cord out,wait 2-5 secs.,than start it again.Worked for me without factory reset.
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

NVIDIA IS SHIT and HIS DEVELOPERS ARE IDIOTS
In the firmware 7.2 Nvidia break completly some Android API to take advantages over competitors.

More specifically, break the InputMethodService functionalities and threfore the compatibility with many app that use this service to intercept hardware keyboards, controllers and others hardware input devices.

From this Google page https://developer.android.com/guide/top ... put-method , you can read:

" Intercept hardware key events
Even though the input method window doesn't have explicit focus, it receives hardware key events first and can choose to consume them or forward them along to the application. For example, you may want to consume the directional keys to navigate within your UI for candidate selection during composition. You may also want to trap the back key to dismiss any popups originating from the input method window. "

This Android behaviour is available on all Android devices from Android version 1 to 9 and is used from many apps in Google Play.
Also the droidmoteIME is based on this Android mechanism. The droidmoteIME for example permit to connect an hardware controller directly to the box and transform the controller events in touch event via droidmote server.

Anyway with the last 7.2 Nvidia firmware, when you enable a custom IME, the IME work only if a textedit have the focus.
In short you can't use anymore your hardware controller to play multi touch games, when the controller is connected directly to Shield TV.

This was made on purpose, but breack important Android functionalities and for this reason this firmware should also not pass the Google certification. But.......Google is blind !

In this condition, i'm considering to not continue my work on a device of a Shit company also if the hardware is very good.

Don't forget that today, for 30 $ you can buy a generic full Android box that is more useful than the Shield TV with Android TV inside.
Also Chrome OS (fydeOS) on standard PC and Android x86 are very good alternatives to do everything you want with Android and are also faster than Shield TV.

Fuck off Nvidia, after 5 years you completly broked this good hardware with your shit software.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are on 7.2 firmware and you want play multi touch games with an hardware controller, you can connect the controller to your phone via bluetooth, enable droidmoteIME, connect droidmote client to the droidmote server. The server naturally installed on Shield TV.

Naturally the droidmoteIME continue working like always on all others Android devices and on all versions of Android.
Only on the shit Nvidia software you must connect the hardware controller through the phone.

Developer of DroidMote Server and DroidMote Client. Read the Quick Start Guides and then I'll be happy to help.
Mogster

Post by Mogster »

Hmm. The release notes mentioned that PS3 controllers were not working with 7.2. I wonder if this is related.

They somehow managed to break TWRP too. I'm in a similar situation as shielduser2018 right now - I can get to the bootloader, but can't boot anything, not even recovery. I think I need to do a full reflash once Nvidia releases the images.
PLAY911

Post by PLAY911 »

Hi Zulu, is there anu hope that you can do anything with this FW or 1.70 is the last version for ever and ever?
many thanks
zulu99 wrote:
NVIDIA IS SHIT and HIS DEVELOPERS ARE IDIOTS
In the firmware 7.2 Nvidia break completly some Android API to take advantages over competitors.

More specifically, break the InputMethodService functionalities and threfore the compatibility with many app that use this service to intercept hardware keyboards, controllers and others hardware input devices.

From this Google page https://developer.android.com/guide/top ... put-method , you can read:

" Intercept hardware key events
Even though the input method window doesn't have explicit focus, it receives hardware key events first and can choose to consume them or forward them along to the application. For example, you may want to consume the directional keys to navigate within your UI for candidate selection during composition. You may also want to trap the back key to dismiss any popups originating from the input method window. "

This Android behaviour is available on all Android devices from Android version 1 to 9 and is used from many apps in Google Play.
Also the droidmoteIME is based on this Android mechanism. The droidmoteIME for example permit to connect an hardware controller directly to the box and transform the controller events in touch event via droidmote server.

Anyway with the last 7.2 Nvidia firmware, when you enable a custom IME, the IME work only if a textedit have the focus.
In short you can't use anymore your hardware controller to play multi touch games, when the controller is connected directly to Shield TV.

This was made on purpose, but breack important Android functionalities and for this reason this firmware should also not pass the Google certification. But.......Google is blind !

In this condition, i'm considering to not continue my work on a device of a Shit company also if the hardware is very good.

Don't forget that today, for 30 $ you can buy a generic full Android box that is more useful than the Shield TV with Android TV inside.
Also Chrome OS (fydeOS) on standard PC and Android x86 are very good alternatives to do everything you want with Android and are also faster than Shield TV.

Fuck off Nvidia, after 5 years you completly broked this good hardware with your shit software.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are on 7.2 firmware and you want play multi touch games with an hardware controller, you can connect the controller to your phone via bluetooth, enable droidmoteIME, connect droidmote client to the droidmote server. The server naturally installed on Shield TV.

Naturally the droidmoteIME continue working like always on all others Android devices and on all versions of Android.
Only on the shit Nvidia software you must connect the hardware controller through the phone.

P.S.
Seems that if you upgrade to 7.2 firmware, you can't also turn back !

TO ROOT THE 7.2 Nvidia Firmware:

fastboot flash boot magisk_patched_boot.img

MAGISK PATCHED BOOT IMAGES FOR NVIDIA FIRMWARE 7.2 DIFFERENT MODELS:

Shield TV 16GB 2015 model
https://bit.ly/magisk_boot_foster_e_7_2-v1

Shield TV 500GB model
https://bit.ly/magisk_boot_foster_e_hdd_7_2-v1

For the moment magisk is not compatible with 2017 model.
baba702

Post by baba702 »

https://forum.xda-developers.com/shield ... e-t3880950 Zulu can you check this link sorry for bad English but please keep working, the nvidia owner we need you, thank you for whole your really good work.
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

baba702 wrote:https://forum.xda-developers.com/shield ... e-t3880950 Zulu can you check this link sorry for bad English but please keep working, the nvidia owner we need you, thank you for whole your really good work.
the problem is not root or other security added, i can reverse, fix and improve everything.

The real problem is that Nvidia not use standard Android in his device, and this manipulation make the device not compatible with some Android SDK.
Mainly the Android made by Nvidia break core functionalities of Android and in this conditions is almost impossible to work.

Apps use Android sdk, but if you break android sdk, how app work ?

For Nvidia, Shield TV is just a device that must run his fucking and lagging streaming games, and few others movie players of big companies.
Just a device to promote MAFIA services of some companiews that try to control the tech world.