[ROM][Full Android PIE for Shield TV][v.1.0]

Full Android Experience with NO Limits on Shield TV and Nexus Player
zulu99
Site Admin

[ROM][Full Android PIE for Shield TV][v.1.0]

Post by zulu99 »

Full Android PIE for Shield TV

v.1.0
Android on TV is not just movies and songs but also millions of apps and games.
This firmware provide Full Android Experience with NO Limits.
With Android you can run all standard Google Play apps and also apps made specifically for Android TV.
Please read the 2nd posts for How-to's and other info BEFORE POSTING!
For the best interaction with Android from your couch i suggest DroidMote, because with DroidMote, multi-touch is not a problem on TV. The Touch Mouse will help you in many situations where only the normal mouse is not sufficient. Also with the videos inside the Chrome Browser.
Take a look here to understand why Android on TV is better than Android TV:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... B9D757086B

FIRMWARE FEATURES:
GSI firmware based on Lineage OS 16
Already ROOTED
Pure Android with no bloatwares inside

DOWNLOADS:

* Full Android PIE 1.0 firmware: http://bit.ly/2YSecBu
SHA1: 380D8F9315389E67C6143E2AA22CC4F528BD9D02

Support the development:
Donate with Paypal or Donate with Crypto

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ADB and Fastboot tools:
https://developer.android.com/studio/re ... form-tools

Nvidia Shield TV drivers for Windows PC:
https://developer.nvidia.com/shield-open-source

INSTRUCTIONS:

You MUST start the procedure with the LAST NVIDIA DEVELOPER PIE FIRMWARE already installed.
https://developer.nvidia.com/shield-developer-os-images
To avoid issues please CLEAN INSTALL this firmware

How to boot into Fastboot mode, HW method, Shield TV 2017:
https://youtu.be/YTtwnVFYRKQ

How to boot into Fastboot mode, HW method, Shield TV 2015 and PRO:
https://youtu.be/2AzHF-uNiY8

WRITTEN INSTRUCTIONS:
- You must download and setup ADB/Fastboot tools on your Windows/Linux/OSX PC first

- Put the Nvidia Shield TV in Fastboot mode:

How to put 2017 model in Fastboot mode, Controller method:
http://nv-tegra.nvidia.com/gitweb/?p=ma ... r1-partner

How to put 2015 and PRO models in Fastboot mode, HW method:
http://nv-tegra.nvidia.com/gitweb/?p=ma ... .1-partner

*** If you are on a Windows PC, download and install Nvidia ADB/Fastboot drivers while booted up in Fastboot mode for your device to get recognized.

- You MUST unlock bootloader before all other operations with the following command:
(if you ever run into an issue do not run "fastboot oem lock" as apparently device can't be unlocked again after that)

fastboot oem unlock

- When the bootloader is unlocked, in the command prompt type:

Code: Select all

fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot -w
fastboot reboot
NOTES:
To have vivid colors on UI you must Disable HW overlay in developer options, but with this disabled you can't watch protected videos. You can Enable or Disable HW overlay based on what you are doing. To make the process easier I added a function that automatically Disable HW overlay when you open the "About Phone" screen of the Android Settings. It is only necessary one time after a complete restart. If you want automatize the process with an app you can use with root permissions this command: service call SurfaceFlinger 1008 i32 1 or service call SurfaceFlinger 1008 i32 0
Developer of DroidMote Server and DroidMote Client. Read the Quick Start Guides and then I'll be happy to help.
zulu99
Site Admin

Re: [ROM][Full Android PIE for Shield TV][v.1.0]

Post by zulu99 »

Since you have the stock vendor image, at first config, disable in Android Settings the apps from vendor that not work. Are not necessary. And on a Treble firmware is also not the right location. I hope that Nvidia will remove propretary thirty part apps from the vendor partition. But is not a big problem for us.

For the first config, since you don't have the navigation bar, don't forget that the HOME button with an hardware keyboard is LWIN + ENTER

You can use this full Android GSI system image also on future Nvidia updates. The vendor image and boot image contain the Nvidia drivers and the Kernel, the GSI image is the Android framework that is also more recent than the stock Nvidia version.

For the moment 07 august 2019 i suggest to use Chrome Canary version because the normal version have a bug ( black screen ) that Google will correct.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To mount system partition you can do:

adb root
adb remount
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To have VPN with ethernet cable:

With ethernet enabled, enable the vpn and after in terminal write:

su
ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig eth0 up
If you need the Overscan app is here:
https://mega.nz/#!LQJmWSgS!9KrLOpjtp_t_ ... Su5reLWG1Y
Install and create a shortcut with quickshortcutmaker app
On 2017 model you can change the usb config in this way:

Disable ADB

su
echo 0x1 > /sys/class/extcon/extcon0/state
Enable ADB

su
echo 0x2 > /sys/class/extcon/extcon0/state

Stock Android TV PIE for Shield TV - DroidMote without Root

I know that some DroidMote users, use the stock Nvidia firmware.

Since i take care of my friends, and since root currently is not possible with stock firmware, i made a special version of the stock firmware that can run DroidMote Server without root. When DroidMote Server request root click on continue. The Server will work also without Root.

You can download and install on all Shieeld TV models from here:

https://bit.ly/2npXRne

To install, like full Android, you must start with the developer firmware installed and after flash only the system image.

fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot -w
fastboot reboot

Developer of DroidMote Server and DroidMote Client. Read the Quick Start Guides and then I'll be happy to help.
marvinsi

Post by marvinsi »

Hi thanks for your work. Is it rooted or how can we root it
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

marvinsi wrote:Hi thanks for your work. Is it rooted or how can we root it
It is already rooted
apollo125

Post by apollo125 »

Hi zulu99

I'm still on full android Oreo v1.10 just wanted to know if I can install NVIDIA Developer PIE Firmware over the top or do I have to go back to stock recovery v7.2.2
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

apollo125 wrote:Hi zulu99

I'm still on full android Oreo v1.10 just wanted to know if I can install NVIDIA Developer PIE Firmware over the top or do I have to go back to stock recovery v7.2.2
you can install directly without problems.
dahdouglas

Post by dahdouglas »

Hi zulu99,

Great work as always!!! Nvidia Game app... Is there a way to get nvidia games and geforce now working on this (pie) rom similar to just copying the correct files into the vendor/app folder as we did on the oreo rom? I have the 2015 16gb model. Thanks again for keeping us all up and running with your magnificient work and updates!!!
Kempston

Post by Kempston »

Brilliant, thanks for this. I've been using your full Android builds for my 2015 Nvidia Shield for around 3 years and they never disappoint.

One issue I have with this though is overscan, I'm missing most of the status bar as it's offscreen. Previously you included Nvidia's own overscan application as part of the build, although with this being based on Lineage I'm not sure that's possible? Is there anyway of fixing this?
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

Some Nvidia apps like Game stream and overscan app are inside the vendor folder that is stock. Some are visible on home launcher, others can be opened creating a shortcut.

Personally today I'm not interested in any apps that is in the vendor folder. And if they work or not all depend by Nvidia. Apart commercial reasons, there aren't tech motivations why this apps can't work on a complete and pure android pie firmware.

I'm happy instead because now we have a full real complete Android compilable and without the garbage that Nvidia add inside his android firmware. The results are clear when you test the firmware.

I'm not anymore interested in Nvidia apps because for game stream we will have Google game stream soon, for record the screen with audio we have the stock lineage app. The overscan app in the vendor image should work creating a shortcut. For sure we will lose some settings of Nvidia stock firmware, but for sure with full Android we will have many more things than the stock firmware.
SteAltH

Post by SteAltH »

Zulu99, awesome work!

For those who have troubles with writing into /system dir use this code

mount -o rw,remount /
instead of

mount -o rw,remount /system
That will work! Spent several hours to find it! Now you can modify build.prop and other system files!

Also new firmware still lacks a lot of things, especially Shield TV Settings App where you can configure HDMI-CEC behavior of your Shield TV, LED brightness and other goodies. Other NVIDIA apps (not third-party) like Backdrop and NvShare will be usefull too!
You'll need to pair your SHIELD Controller/Remote manually to make them work!
WiFi Hotspot from Settings app is not working in this version.

So, will eagerly wait for future updates.
I hope Zulu99 will make it in "Everything the stock firmware can offer" style like it was earlier in Full Android Nougat and Oreo.