[ROM][Full Android PIE for Shield TV][v.1.0]

Full Android Experience with NO Limits on Shield TV and Nexus Player
apmm17

Re: [ROM][Full Android PIE for Shield TV][v.1.0]

Post by apmm17 »

I tried to search but I could find away to use HDMI cec to turn on and off the TV, can someone please explain me how to do it.
Much appreciated.
Lenana

Post by Lenana »

elpaablo wrote:
Lenana wrote:Though skeptical at first due to lack of nvidia settings, this full pie rom turns out to be actually very decent with some tweaks and mods. Thanks @zulu99. I see your point now. Ofcourse there will be some nvidia stuff you will have to give up like nvidia share, hdmi settings and the like. For me its better than stock!
https://mega.nz/#!1NtHDA6Y!4bI1vDwmiyYJ ... vf46KlHpvI
What mods did you apply? Do you have full root access (with write to system permission)?
I am not that savy about android modding and all that but I'll try and outline what I did.
1. I flashed latest rootfan kernel (1.42) which comes with magisk. The cpu, gpu and ram overclock significantly boosts perfomance of this rom! Improvement in gaming perfomance is insane.
2. I replaced supersu with magisk. I can edit system files how I want so I assume that is full system permission?
3. Permanently disabled overlays by placing the file archived in link below in system/etc/init.d folder and setting permissions to rwx r-x r-x 755 owner to root 0 and group to shell 2000 using Mix explorer. This fixes the vivid colours issue as system boots.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/attach ... 1399997136
4. Edited build.prop to enable navigation keys (discussed in page 6 I think)
5. Disabled pie recents and enabled oreo style recents by freezing Trebuchet launcher using titanium backup. I use adw launcher 2 now.
6. I use a physical mini keyboard. By default ESC button does not navigate backwards in pie, so I installed Key Mapper from link below and enabled ESC to function as BACK key.
https://labs.xda-developers.com/store/a ... .keymapper
7. In full pie there is no ethernet switch so I used scripts in macrodroid app to automatically enable/disable ethernet when wifi is switched off/on. The codes I used were:

su
ifconfig eth0 up
(to switch on ethernet with 'wifi disabled' as the macrodroid trigger)
su
ifconfig eth0 down
(to switch off ethernet with 'wifi enabled' as the macrodroid trigger)

Of course there are sacrifices to be made:
1. Can't watch protected video.
2. No Nvidia share
3. Emby server works but emby client apps dont. If you must use emby you can play through Kodi or browser in host device. No problem with other client devices too. Plex works okay btw (I just hate the need to be online everytime).

Reason for insiting on making this work:
I had random framwork restarts in nvidia firmware and they couldn't diagnose. The device would go to android splashscreen by itself :?: They kept telling me to do a full factory reset for every issue they can't fix and factory reset to wipe 500gb of data everytime is just an unacceptable solution. Anyways I tried resetting but the framework crashes continued. They sent me an new power brick but device still crashed. Funny enough, since installing full android oreo and now pie I have never had a system crash thus confirming it is an nvidia firmware issue. So thanks @zulu99 for providing an alternative.
Lenana

Post by Lenana »

elpaablo wrote:
Lenana wrote:Though skeptical at first due to lack of nvidia settings, this full pie rom turns out to be actually very decent with some tweaks and mods. Thanks @zulu99. I see your point now. Ofcourse there will be some nvidia stuff you will have to give up like nvidia share, hdmi settings and the like. For me its better than stock!
What mods did you apply? Do you have full root access (with write to system permission)?
Edit: I seem not to have full system write permission. The commands provided adb root adb remount don't work. Too bad the developer hardly posts replies. I am trying to delete plex app but I can't.
snake218

Post by snake218 »

Lenana wrote:
elpaablo wrote:
I am not that savy about android modding and all that but I'll try and outline what I did.
1. I flashed latest rootfan kernel (1.42) which comes with magisk. The cpu, gpu and ram overclock significantly boosts perfomance of this rom! Improvement in gaming perfomance is insane.
2. I replaced supersu with magisk. I can edit system files how I want so I assume that is full system permission?
3. Permanently disabled overlays by placing the file archived in link below in system/etc/init.d folder and setting permissions to rwx r-x r-x 755 owner to root 0 and group to shell 2000 using Mix explorer. This fixes the vivid colours issue as system boots.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/attach ... 1399997136
4. Edited build.prop to enable navigation keys (discussed in page 6 I think)
5. Disabled pie recents and enabled oreo style recents by freezing Trebuchet launcher using titanium backup. I use adw launcher 2 now.
6. I use a physical mini keyboard. By default ESC button does not navigate backwards in pie, so I installed Key Mapper from link below and enabled ESC to function as BACK key.
https://labs.xda-developers.com/store/a ... .keymapper
7. In full pie there is no ethernet switch so I used scripts in macrodroid app to automatically enable/disable ethernet when wifi is switched off/on. The codes I used were:

su
ifconfig eth0 up
(to switch on ethernet with 'wifi disabled' as the macrodroid trigger)
su
ifconfig eth0 down
(to switch off ethernet with 'wifi enabled' as the macrodroid trigger)

Of course there are sacrifices to be made:
1. Can't watch protected video.
2. No Nvidia share
3. Emby server works but emby client apps dont. If you must use emby you can play through Kodi or browser in host device. No problem with other client devices too. Plex works okay btw (I just hate the need to be online everytime).

Reason for insiting on making this work:
I had random framwork restarts in nvidia firmware and they couldn't diagnose. The device would go to android splashscreen by itself :?: They kept telling me to do a full factory reset for every issue they can't fix and factory reset to wipe 500gb of data everytime is just an unacceptable solution. Anyways I tried resetting but the framework crashes continued. They sent me an new power brick but device still crashed. Funny enough, since installing full android oreo and now pie I have never had a system crash thus confirming it is an nvidia firmware issue. So thanks @zulu99 for providing an alternative.
excellent information, maybe can respond a couple of question:

- what hdmi features are missing?
- when you talk about protected videos, what you mean?
- is there a kernel for full android oreo that supports Overclock?
Thanks
Last edited by snake218 on Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zecabra

Post by zecabra »

Adaptive storage it's not working for me, can someone confirm if it's only my system or general problem, I can add a disk to adaptive storage but then when I tray to move te files it fail, also checking force to move to adaptive storage in developer settings does nothing, all the apps continue to install in normal storage.

@Lenana Can you share your scripts to use whit macro droid
ZMEU.NET

Post by ZMEU.NET »

I noticed that NETFLIX forces users to update the Android app or the TV app. How can we update the Netflix app?
Lenana

Post by Lenana »

snake218 wrote: excellent information, maybe can respond a couple of question:

- what hdmi features are missing?
- when you talk about protected videos, what you mean?
- is there a kernel for full android oreo that supports Overclock?
Thanks
@snake218
HDMI Features: In full android pie there are no hdmi settings whatsoever. However such settings are available in full oreo.
Protected videos: Honestly I am not sure what 'protected' videos are I just threw that in as a caution as the OP @zulu99 emphasizes in his first post when one disables hw overlays. Personally using washed out colours is not an option for me.
Overclock kernel: Yes, rootfan kernel over at xda developers has an overclocked kernel (2.2ghz) for shield tv that works with this full pie.
PLAY911

Post by PLAY911 »

Hi Zulu! A long since we dont hear from you....I hope you are busy with the new Shield.. so you think would be possible to do the same that you did with Oreo not Pie...I mean full Androjd with the same staff that original ATV from Nvdia?
Merry Xmas!!
SteAltH

Post by SteAltH »

PLAY911 wrote:so you think would be possible to do the same that you did with Oreo not Pie...I mean full Androjd with the same staff that original ATV from Nvdia?
Merry Xmas!!
Yeah, we really need these features! Especially HDMI-CEC control and some other hardware related options.
giusi.m

Change start Logo "Nvidia"

Post by giusi.m »

Hallo
is it possible to change the start logo Nvidia? I would like to use the Nvidia Shield Tv as a car Pc and I would like to start the logo of my car.
I installed full android 7 as described in the other pages