problems with Character mapping

Discussion about DroidMote Client
retu

problems with Character mapping

Post by retu »

hi zulu,

I have problems with the character mapping, which i am unable to solve. I read the FAQs but everything is very confusing, a lot of long sentences in english, which is not my primary language, and i cannot archive what I am trying to do.

I use the droidmote on my cellphone to control two shields (2015, full android 1.2) and have troubles when using the droidmote keyboard. the special-characters on my cell phone are not the same written on the shield. I am not able to write the @ or € - even when I copy words on my cellphone and paste them via droidmote (volume up), wrong special-characters are coming up.

what is going wrong?
zulu99
Site Admin

Re: problems with Character mapping

Post by zulu99 »

retu wrote:hi zulu,

I have problems with the character mapping, which i am unable to solve. I read the FAQs but everything is very confusing, a lot of long sentences in english, which is not my primary language, and i cannot archive what I am trying to do.

I use the droidmote on my cellphone to control two shields (2015, full android 1.2) and have troubles when using the droidmote keyboard. the special-characters on my cell phone are not the same written on the shield. I am not able to write the @ or € - even when I copy words on my cellphone and paste them via droidmote (volume up), wrong special-characters are coming up.

what is going wrong?
What keyboard do you use ?

Using Google and Samsung keyboards, i don't have problems writing @

Try with different keyboard just to understand.

Make also sure that in the server device you have this files:

droidmote.kl in /data/system/devices/keylayout
droidmote.kcm in /data/system/devices/keychars

In case you don't have this files, reinstall the server, grant root at first start and check again this file.

The official guide for droidmote client is this:

https://www.videomap.it/dmcguide.htm
Developer of DroidMote Server and DroidMote Client. Read the Quick Start Guides and then I'll be happy to help.
Donate with Paypal or Donate with Crypto
retu

Post by retu »

on the cellphone i use gboard, on the shield i use gboard, too.
both files, keylayout and keychars, are present at the server device (shield).
@ is working now, but £¥€ for example are displayed as "q". same as °©®™✓¢∆√(second special character map on gboard) - all are written as "q" on the shield.

when i use "android keyboard (AOSP)" on the shield with layout "droidmote multi language" it is the same - when i write € with gboard on cellphone, on the shield comes "q".

very confusing
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

retu wrote:on the cellphone i use gboard, on the shield i use gboard, too.
both files, keylayout and keychars, are present at the server device (shield).
@ is working now, but £¥€ for example are displayed as "q". same as °©®™✓¢∆√(second special character map on gboard) - all are written as "q" on the shield.

when i use "android keyboard (AOSP)" on the shield with layout "droidmote multi language" it is the same - when i write € with gboard on cellphone, on the shield comes "q".

very confusing
Yes, the characters not mapped are displayed as "q"

All the most used special characters that you can use in a daily "remote control" scenario are mapped.

Not all special characters are mapped, because i think is not necessary.

If the characters that you mention are useful for many users, i can map without problems.

Let me know what is very necessary for you that is not mapped.

Do not forget that if in rare case you need a special character that is not mapped, you can enable for few seconds the virtual keyboard on your TV box and with the droidmote mouse you can press on this special character.
Developer of DroidMote Server and DroidMote Client. Read the Quick Start Guides and then I'll be happy to help.
Donate with Paypal or Donate with Crypto
retu

Post by retu »

It's ok like it is, Zulu, thank you very much!
I'm quite happy that i now understand, why, at the beginning, no special characters (like @) worked. I configured on the server device "android keyboard (AOSP)" with the keylayout "german" and had trouble to find the right special characters while typing with my cellphone. Now, with "droidmote multi language" on the server device, several special characters are the same (typed on the cellphone, displayed on the shield) :-)

Usually I do not need those "not mapped super special characters", I just wondered, why copy & pasted passwords with droidmote do not work and found out, the the "€" character turned into a "q".

I will use the virtual Keyboard on the TV for my special character typing.
Thank you very much for your time, Zulu!