Shield TV 2015 7.2.2 - droidmote client can only 'see' controller when in the client launch page.

Discussion about DroidMote Client
nscourge

Shield TV 2015 7.2.2 - droidmote client can only 'see' controller when in the client launch page.

Post by nscourge »

I have a shield TV (2015) version running a rooted developer image(7.2.2) and droidmote is not functioning properly.

To be specific, the droidmote server and client(configured with the correct loopback address - 127.0.0.1) can only communicate with the shield TV controller when In the client launch page(the first screen you see when loading up the droidmote client).

Normally, when IME input has been selected you should be able to toggle mouse mode(start button) and gamepad2touch mode(right stick depress) with the controller, and select a touch profile(left stick depress).

But for some strange reason, mouse mode only works on the launch screen of the droidmote client, and only after clicking on the keyboard icon with an attached usb mouse(after which you can use the controller to move the mouse cursor with the right analog stick, and toggle gamepad2touch mode by depressing the right analog stick).

However, as soon as the left stick is used to select a touch profile, it simultaneously acts as a 'back' button and the controller becomes unresponsive to droidmote commands(mousemode does not work outside of the client configuration screen, and neither do any of the other toggle commands, such as gamepad2touch).

Upon loading games, the controller is not functional even after loading the correct touch profiles(which I have personally confirmed to work with other firmwares) and ensuring that mouse mode is off(which must be done in the droidmote client configuration screen).

I believe this is because droidmote server/client is not able to communicate with the controller, except in the client configuration screen.

This is not an issue with keylayout files as I have tried both with the droidmote default and the shield controller default (Vendor_0955_Product_7210).

What can be causing this issue?

Is it because nvidia have diasabled screen overlay permissions?

Is there any way you could update droid mote so that it can work with current developer images from nvidia(and rooted with magisk?
zulu99
Site Admin

Re: Shield TV 2015 7.2.2 - droidmote client can only 'see' controller when in the client launch page.

Post by zulu99 »

nscourge wrote:I have a shield TV (2015) version running a rooted developer image(7.2.2) and droidmote is not functioning properly.

To be specific, the droidmote server and client(configured with the correct loopback address - 127.0.0.1) can only communicate with the shield TV controller when In the client launch page(the first screen you see when loading up the droidmote client).

Normally, when IME input has been selected you should be able to toggle mouse mode(start button) and gamepad2touch mode(right stick depress) with the controller, and select a touch profile(left stick depress).

But for some strange reason, mouse mode only works on the launch screen of the droidmote client, and only after clicking on the keyboard icon with an attached usb mouse(after which you can use the controller to move the mouse cursor with the right analog stick, and toggle gamepad2touch mode by depressing the right analog stick).

However, as soon as the left stick is used to select a touch profile, it simultaneously acts as a 'back' button and the controller becomes unresponsive to droidmote commands(mousemode does not work outside of the client configuration screen, and neither do any of the other toggle commands, such as gamepad2touch).

Upon loading games, the controller is not functional even after loading the correct touch profiles(which I have personally confirmed to work with other firmwares) and ensuring that mouse mode is off(which must be done in the droidmote client configuration screen).

I believe this is because droidmote server/client is not able to communicate with the controller, except in the client configuration screen.

This is not an issue with keylayout files as I have tried both with the droidmote default and the shield controller default (Vendor_0955_Product_7210).

What can be causing this issue?

Is it because nvidia have diasabled screen overlay permissions?

Is there any way you could update droid mote so that it can work with current developer images from nvidia(and rooted with magisk?
As i wrote some time ago, Nvidia disabled some IME functionalities on Shield TV starting from 7.2.x updates, just to fight competitors.
Infact ime still work on all android devices, PIE included.

Anyway you can still play multi touch games with hardware controller, connecting the hardware controller to the phone.
like in this video:
https://youtu.be/VbKDw1tvpm4

Read the video description and check the date when i published it.

P.S.
In full Android for Shield TV, i restored the normal Android IME behaviour.
Developer of DroidMote Server and DroidMote Client. Read the Quick Start Guides and then I'll be happy to help.
Donate with Paypal or Donate with Crypto
further611

Re: Shield TV 2015 7.2.2 - droidmote client can only 'see' controller when in the client launch page.

Post by further611 »

I have the same problem when try it - 2015 version too. Now i only 2 choose:
1. Is downgrade to fw that droidmote working properly which i can't find the good TUT enough. :(
2. Is using controller with phone to play game (Pubg mobile ~ the only reason i bought shield :P) like zulu99 said

---

The full android is good but i prefer the stock of android tv :D
nscourge

Post by nscourge »

It is OK - I am going to flash your Oreo image again(I can confirm that it works fine with droidmote on the ShieldTV).

But this requires making touch profiles for AndroidTV/Shield TV optimized titles, unfortunately(confirmed with Hungry Shark World).
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

nscourge wrote:It is OK - I am going to flash your Oreo image again(I can confirm that it works fine with droidmote on the ShieldTV).

But this requires making touch profiles for AndroidTV/Shield TV optimized titles, unfortunately(confirmed with Hungry Shark World).
In full Android Oreo for Shield TV the Android custom IMEs work like always.
I restored the normal functionality that Nvidia broke on purpose to fight concurrents.

Pubg work like always, the touch profiles made by me, linked in the youtube videos should already work. If not, is questions of two minutes create a touch profile with Touch Profile Creator.

Anyway, don't forget that if you are using the original Android TV made by Nvidia, yoi can connect the hardware controller to the phone and still play pubg on Shield TV with the hardware controller. The bluetooth of many phones, is also better than Nvidia bluetooth. But in this config, i suggest to connect Shield TV via ethernet cable, because the wifi of Shield TV became always more negative in every new Nvidia update.
Developer of DroidMote Server and DroidMote Client. Read the Quick Start Guides and then I'll be happy to help.
Donate with Paypal or Donate with Crypto