Voice Commands on Server Using Droidmote?

Discussion about DroidMote Server for Android
whitedavidp

Voice Commands on Server Using Droidmote?

Post by whitedavidp »

Hello. I have suddenly become interested in issuing voice commands to my Android TV computer running Android 5.1.1 from Droidmote Client on my Note 3 phone running Android 4.4.2. I find that:

(a) I can touch the microphone button inside of Droidmote Client on my phone and get prompted to speak

(b) I finish speaking and the prompt goes away

(c) On the TV computer, I see what appears to be the Google Search app starting with something LIKE (not exactly and sometimes not even close to) what I spoke into the phone get inserted into the text field at the top of the screen

However, this is not what I want. I do not want voice search. I want to say something like "open gmail" and have the gmail app launched. I would really like to do more than that at some point like "play music". But I am starting small. I do not have any specific voice command app on the TV computer but it is set up for Google Voice to Text. On my phone I have used an app called Utter! with some success (so long as I prevent the Google Search app from updating) but it will not install on Android 5.1.1.

Can someone suggest what I can/should do? Thanks
zulu99
Site Admin

Re: Voice Commands on Server Using Droidmote?

Post by zulu99 »

whitedavidp wrote:Hello. I have suddenly become interested in issuing voice commands to my Android TV computer running Android 5.1.1 from Droidmote Client on my Note 3 phone running Android 4.4.2. I find that:

(a) I can touch the microphone button inside of Droidmote Client on my phone and get prompted to speak

(b) I finish speaking and the prompt goes away

(c) On the TV computer, I see what appears to be the Google Search app starting with something LIKE (not exactly and sometimes not even close to) what I spoke into the phone get inserted into the text field at the top of the screen

However, this is not what I want. I do not want voice search. I want to say something like "open gmail" and have the gmail app launched. I would really like to do more than that at some point like "play music". But I am starting small. I do not have any specific voice command app on the TV computer but it is set up for Google Voice to Text. On my phone I have used an app called Utter! with some success (so long as I prevent the Google Search app from updating) but it will not install on Android 5.1.1.

Can someone suggest what I can/should do? Thanks
DroidMote voice functionalities are voice to text. Mean that you can dictate what you want and the text appear on the server device.

But is also true that if you dictate "open Gmail" in Google Search, the Google Search in the Server device will open Gmail.

The action is not direct you need an extra enter key, but is very useful because you can write with your voice in every app, also on apps that not have native voice search.

I think that the current implementation is more useful of what you wish. Also because you can direct dictate also with a Mic of a webcam.
Developer of DroidMote Server and DroidMote Client. Read the Quick Start Guides and then I'll be happy to help.
Donate with Paypal or Donate with Crypto
whitedavidp

Post by whitedavidp »

zulu99 wrote: DroidMote voice functionalities are voice to text. Mean that you can dictate what you want and the text appear on the server device.

But is also true that if you dictate "open Gmail" in Google Search, the Google Search in the Server device will open Gmail.

The action is not direct you need an extra enter key, but is very useful because you can write with your voice in every app, also on apps that not have native voice search.

I think that the current implementation is more useful of what you wish. Also because you can direct dictate also with a Mic of a webcam.
Hi and thanks for the swift response. I think I understand what you are saying. But I still cannot seem to get "open gmail" to do the right thing. For example, if I open the Google Search app on the server machine, type in "open gmail", and press the arrow button I always get a google search result shown to me in my browser. I do not get the gmail app opened.

I do like the idea of voice dictation as a general solution. But I was hoping that google would intercede and process the voice command as a command rather than a search criteria.
whitedavidp

Post by whitedavidp »

Hello and thanks for this response. I thought I had replied already but do not see that post showing up. So forgive any duplication...

I think I understand what you are saying. So if I just start typing at the home screen using a physical keyboard, I can see that the Google Search app is being started and my keystrokes are showing up. It would seem that Droidmote is doing essentially the same - however voice recognition isn't perfect - not sure if it happens on my phone or on the server box. I would think it easier/better to do the recognition on the local phone and then just transmit the resulting text to the server. But I could be wrong.

No matter what I do, I cannot seem to get the Google app to intervene and actually start the gmail app in response to "open gmail". If I type this into the google app's text entry box and trigger the app, I only get a google search result shown in my browser. So I am not sure how to get the voice recognition text recognized as a command rather than a search criteria.

I welcome suggestions. Thanks
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

Voice recognition is made by Google and work very well on my devices. Everything Google voice recognition understand is transformed in text by DroidMote.

If you have problems, are not problems related to DroidMote. Try in Google Voice Search settings, maybe a wrong language setting.

Therefore DroidMote is "Voice to Text"

To do voice actions on Google Search, maybe a Mic of a Webcam is better. But i repeat you can still dictate what you want also on Google Search.
Is not a voice action but a text that you entered with your voice.

To open Gmail, you can simply click with the mouse on the Gmail app.

Apart the joke, DroidMote is voice to text, not voice actions and for me voice to text is more useful. Also because if i need voice actions i can use a mic connected to my tv box.
Developer of DroidMote Server and DroidMote Client. Read the Quick Start Guides and then I'll be happy to help.
whitedavidp

Post by whitedavidp »

Thanks. I am starting to see more of what you mean. I don't have a microphone input on my TV computer. Could possibly do it via BT or some other way. But I see that Droidmote isn't going to be that way. No worries. DroidMote is great anyhow!

Can you tell me if the actual voice to text happens on the local phone or on the server?
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

whitedavidp wrote:Thanks. I am starting to see more of what you mean. I don't have a microphone input on my TV computer. Could possibly do it via BT or some other way. But I see that Droidmote isn't going to be that way. No worries. DroidMote is great anyhow!

Can you tell me if the actual voice to text happens on the local phone or on the server?
Is not my choice. DroidMote emulate real hardware input devices. In this case, it emulate an hardware keyboard. Therefore i can interact with the Server device only like an hardware keyboard. I can send Text. The option is that i can also transform voice to text on the client device and send the text to the server. What do the server with this text, is only a functionality of Android or of an app installed on the Server device.

If Google Search, in future, will accept also text commands, we can open also Gmail for example. In this way, if you dictate "open Gmail" on the client, the client will send the text "open Gmail" to Google Search installed on the server device and the Google Search will open Gmail. Is just a limitation of Google Search, for now, nothing special.

Yes you can use also a bluetooth Mic for direct voice actions.
whitedavidp

Post by whitedavidp »

Thanks. This is what I thought but wanted to be sure. I will see about trying a BT microphone or some other mechanism. Cheers and thanks again for Droidmote!