DroidMote & Xubuntu

Discussion about DroidMote Server for Linux
rq005

DroidMote & Xubuntu

Post by rq005 »

Hello! First of all i wonna thank you for this great app!
I recently change to Xubuntu because i cant stand any gnome 3 distro/fork so i decided to give xfce a try.
I am using Xubuntu 12.04, music player clementine and video player VLC.
In clementine media next/previous, play/pause is working but fastforward/backward isnt (actually this isnt a big deal since i almost never use it but since i doing a bug report i decided to add it).
In VLC i cant use any of the media keys in droidmote. They simple doesnt work. I tried chanching the media shortcuts inside VLC without results.
Maybe you can give me a hand. Thanks!
zulu99
Site Admin

Re: DroidMote & Xubuntu

Post by zulu99 »

if play pause fastforward etc. work or not work depend only if the developer of a program decide that the program accept this standard keys.
many apps accept this default keys, many apps no, but this apps can accept other shortcut or other keys.

DroidMote is a versatile software, you can change all.

In your situation you must undestand what real keyboard keys accept clementine or other software, download a program on linux that can remap different action for some keyboard keys.

Look this program for example, but you can find many:
http://www.linuxscrew.com/2008/09/15/fa ... -in-linux/

In linux you can also change the actions of gamepad axis or gamepad buttons. you can change all.

apart of this, you can use all, only with the mouse.
Developer of DroidMote Server and DroidMote Client. Read the Quick Start Guides and then I'll be happy to help.
Donate with Paypal or Donate with Crypto
rq005

Post by rq005 »

The problem is that VLC doesnt have any global media hotkeys.
To add them:
vlcrc="$HOME/.config/vlc/vlcrc"
sed -i 's/#global-key-play-pause=/global-key-play-pause=Media Play Pause/' $vlcrc
sed -i 's/#global-key-next=/global-key-next=Media Next Track/' $vlcrc
sed -i 's/#global-key-prev=/global-key-prev=Media Prev Track/' $vlcrc
sed -i 's/#global-key-stop=/global-key-stop=Media Stop/' $vlcrc
Taken from: http://xubuntugeek.blogspot.com.ar/

Can you tell me the fast forward/backwards key name in droidmote so i can set it in VLC?
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

DroidMOte send scancodes

I use all standard, as in the linux input.h

KEY_FASTFORWARD 208

the scancode in this case is 208
Developer of DroidMote Server and DroidMote Client. Read the Quick Start Guides and then I'll be happy to help.
rq005

Post by rq005 »

Im still not able to map the fast forward / rewind hotkeys. With the above commands i manage to add Stop Play/Pause Next Previous. If anyone have a clue, i will really apreciate it!
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

In the next days i help you with vlc configuration
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

Vlc know only the media buttons:
Media Play Pause
Media Next Track
Media Prev Track
Media Stop

but not know media buttons like:
Media Forward
Media Rewind
in the original source code.

But there is a little trick for you to go fast forward and rewind. you can set vlc to go forward and rewind with the mouse wheel.
DroidMote simulate also the mouse wheel when you go in scrolling mode on the touchpad tab. (little press and slide up and down)

to set Vlc to forward and rewind with the mouse wheel, you must go in Tools / Preferences / Interface / Hotkey settings / hotkeys and set "MouseWheel up-down axis control" to "Position control"

In this mode i go fast forward and rewind very very well. if you not like the default mode for scolling in DroidOte you can set differents alternative looking in the settings. read also the FAQ
rq005

Post by rq005 »

Thanks for your help! An alternative is to set the VLC Fast Forward/Backwards to Media Next Track/Media Prev Track. So when i press Next in DroidMote it will fast forward/backwards instead. I found this temporaly solution until someone finds a better one.
Thanks a lot zulu99!
zulu99
Site Admin

Post by zulu99 »

Thanks to your test and exploration.
This is the beauty of the collaboration.